Back to Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I) by University of California San Diego

4.4

Named a top 50 MOOC of all time by Class Central! This course begins a series of classes illustrating the power of computing in modern biology. Please join us on the frontier of bioinformatics to look for hidden messages in DNA without ever needing to put on a lab coat. In the first half of the course, we investigate DNA replication, and ask the question, where in the genome does DNA replication begin? We will see that we can answer this question for many bacteria using only some straightforward algorithms to look for hidden messages in the genome. In the second half of the course, we examine a different biological question, when we ask which DNA patterns play the role of molecular clocks. The cells in your body manage to maintain a circadian rhythm, but how is this achieved on the level of DNA? Once again, we will see that by knowing which hidden messages to look for, we can start to understand the amazingly complex language of DNA. Perhaps surprisingly, we will apply randomized algorithms, which roll dice and flip coins in order to solve problems. Finally, you will get your hands dirty and apply existing software tools to find recurring biological motifs within genes that are responsible for helping Mycobacterium tuberculosis go "dormant" within a host for many years before causing an active infection....

JL
Jul 29, 2018

This course is very very good. Challenging at times. It does not hold your hand at all times and sometimes requires research to solve some of the problems, but I like the community and the approach.

DD
Sep 10, 2019

The material of the course is simply exquisitely presented. The concepts are clear, easy to grasp. You won't be a bioinformatician after doing this course, but you'll make the first step.

201 - 213 of 213 Reviews for Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I)

By 13- K P

Sep 21, 2020

The course is not for beginners at all. The course requires a previous knowledge of programming with python as they expect us to code without giving enough instructions. I found this too tough because of that.

By Akruti I

Sep 29, 2020

how do i unroll ??? the course introduction explainined 'NO need of coding but needs hard coding skills' im enable to do the assignments .i want to leave the course and i cant find the option to leave.

By Johany C S G

Jan 5, 2021

Este curso y la especializacion en general, no esta enfocado a biologos, biotecnologos ni otras carreras de biologia y salud. Es una estafa, me arrepiento infinitamente.

By sakshi b

Feb 13, 2021

as you proceed this becomes more difficult and unexplanatory

you need proper guidance and good hands on knowledge of coding before starting this course

By Manisha R

Aug 27, 2020

The course says no coding experience but every example has coding in it. If so they at least have explained basic coding but didn't. Poor explanation.

By Alice K

Jun 28, 2020

Too confusing for me right out the gate, and I even have a little programming experience. I thought it was for beginners.

By Zhenan L

Aug 26, 2019

some technical problem, those explanation figure not working.

By Brisa G

Aug 24, 2021

Muito difícil, não recomendo para iniciantes como eu.

Aug 23, 2020

I am unable to make progress due to old deadlines ...

By Prathna

Apr 25, 2021

Can't find answers for any quiz questions

By Fidan Q

Jul 20, 2020

too hard for understanding i want to quit

By ali f

Jun 9, 2020

videos are not covering quizzes.

By 우재웅

Feb 2, 2021

too many things do not work