Back to Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I) by University of California San Diego

Named a top 50 MOOC of all time by Class Central! This course begins a series of classes illustrating the power of computing in modern biology. Please join us on the frontier of bioinformatics to look for hidden messages in DNA without ever needing to put on a lab coat. In the first half of the course, we investigate DNA replication, and ask the question, where in the genome does DNA replication begin? We will see that we can answer this question for many bacteria using only some straightforward algorithms to look for hidden messages in the genome. In the second half of the course, we examine a different biological question, when we ask which DNA patterns play the role of molecular clocks. The cells in your body manage to maintain a circadian rhythm, but how is this achieved on the level of DNA? Once again, we will see that by knowing which hidden messages to look for, we can start to understand the amazingly complex language of DNA. Perhaps surprisingly, we will apply randomized algorithms, which roll dice and flip coins in order to solve problems. Finally, you will get your hands dirty and apply existing software tools to find recurring biological motifs within genes that are responsible for helping Mycobacterium tuberculosis go "dormant" within a host for many years before causing an active infection....

JL

Jul 30, 2018

This course is very very good. Challenging at times. It does not hold your hand at all times and sometimes requires research to solve some of the problems, but I like the community and the approach.

DD

Sep 11, 2019

The material of the course is simply exquisitely presented. The concepts are clear, easy to grasp. You won't be a bioinformatician after doing this course, but you'll make the first step.

1 - 25 of 98 Reviews for Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I)

By Saif-AlDin

Aug 03, 2018

I have received financial aid because I was interested in the bioinformatics field and was reading alot about it and wanted to start my first course, it was my biggest mistake that I have chosen this course. It is awfully explained, terrible accent, basically a course with 50% information for beginners and 50% for coders and the quiz for week 2 just pumped my blood pressure to the roof, this course is in no way to be called for beginners and the interactive text is a mess and it is no way as a biotechnologist that I am going to recommend this course to anyone !, I need to apologize for coursera company for giving me aid for this COURSE !

note : this course is basically like a money grab, it is not enough that you are on their course they actually from Minute one advertise for their book vol 1 and 2... such a joke.

All in all I am stopping this course because the knowledge I am gaining from this course is 1 on the scale of 10, and the amount of confusion and frustration and disappointment I am getting is 10 on the scale of 10 !!

I really hope coursera can forgive my dropping out of this course and allows me to get a financial aid at an actual course

By Gener A R

Apr 08, 2019

Good course, very solid community.

By Laura L

Nov 13, 2017

Very tough but rewarding class. The programming part was easy, the algorithms kicked my butt. Love the challenge and can't wait to take the rest!!! Such an interesting field!

By Juris L

Jul 30, 2018

By Melinda B

Apr 30, 2019

This course is really frustrating if you are not a computer scientist.

The 'language-neutral pseudocode' given on the computer science tasks is buggy and hard to figure out and there is no support or solutions. This course is just hours spent rerunning your code by brute force to pray you get to their answer to pass.

Work is not explained well. The only reason to take this course is that its supported by UCSD.

By Greta G H

Jan 11, 2019

Great!

By Ahmad A

Dec 31, 2018

One of the best courser, I took ever!

By Fabio J F

Feb 17, 2019

Some activities were unnecessary but coding up the algorithms was a treat :)

By Victor C

Mar 03, 2019

Loving it so far.

By Krishnendu S

Mar 28, 2019

Exceptionally beautiful course. Must be for those want to start career in bioinformatics. But prior basic knowledge in any programming language would be appropriate if someone wants to extract every aspect of this course.

By Andrew C

Mar 29, 2019

I feel this was a good introduction to bioinformatics. It can be a little confusing sometimes, but there was nothing I could not figure out in the end

By Mousa J A

Feb 12, 2019

A really nice course that links biology and programming

By Pavel O

Apr 12, 2019

Very good course to start learning bioinformatics

By Shengbo W

Sep 10, 2018

It is really helpful!

By Oscar J O R

Aug 14, 2018

Really nice and clear course. The hands-on learning is fundamental to create a smooth transition between algorithms and biology.

By Julian A S

Oct 16, 2018

Clear and well-formatted. No instructional support in the forums was disappointing, though.

By Olaf W

Oct 02, 2018

Great content, very well structured. Loved the interactive text with the graded coding exercises.

By Adrien L

Jun 26, 2016

Excellent teachers, excellent assignments. My favorite MOOC so far, congrats!

By Nicolas S V

Mar 24, 2018

Insightful and introductory course to the bioinformatics world.

By Karen G

Feb 09, 2017

great introduction!

By Anil K P

Jan 10, 2017

I like the intersection of computer science and biology!

By Mohamed E

Jul 08, 2017

An excellent Course, The course left me more enthusiastic about Bio-informatics , Thanks

By Naveen P

Jun 19, 2016

Very well structured and informative. Got a good understanding of motifs finding and its related algorithms

By Dmitry G

May 26, 2016

Excellent course!

By vibha h

Apr 12, 2017

Wonderful course for anyone who wants to explore bioinformatics. I really liked the programming assignments.