Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

AM

Aug 16, 2017

Great course! It allows to understand the twisted logic that run in our heads. Helps to establish the balance between probabilistic truth and illusions that infect our decision-making. Thanks a lot!

SK

Feb 26, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

1 - 25 of 343 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Cooper O

Jun 20, 2017

An interesting course with interesting lecture material, but lots of additional reading is required to properly understand the various biases. Furthermore, the examples in the quizzes are so vague that it is very difficult to associate them with particular biases or be sure that particular biases do not apply.

By Philipp B

Aug 14, 2016

The course covers the basic foundations of behavioral finance, especially prospect theory and various cognitive biases that negatively influence our decision making in financial affairs.

The topics covered are definitely very interesting and the lecturers frequently prove that they know what they are talking about and explain some topics in adequate depth and breadth.

For a valuable Coursera course I am expecting that most of the material is covered with video lectures (otherwise I read a book on that matter) and I am expecting thought-through slides with clear definitions, clear practical examples and exercises, and the presentation of experimental proofs for the given statements.

Regrettably, most of this course is comprised of simple slides with limited structuring, as definitions, exercises, and proofs are often intermingled. More importantly, only a very limited subset of the course is covered with the suitable and valuable video lectures.

Especially the last of the three-week course consist mostly of reading material from an external website.

The exercises after each of the three weeks are at the lower end of what I have seen on Coursera and the lecturers should consider putting more effort in creating useful questions for formative and summative evaluations of the learning progress.

In summary, smart lecturers present a very interesting and highly relevant topic, but they put to little effort in creating a compellingly online course.

By Dane C

Aug 29, 2016

Duke.... Coursera... guys, come on! I'd like to contrast this with the Wharton Business Analytics specialization that I'm completing. It was like night and day. I mean, professors in that course are presenting their own research! Cade Massey presents research he did with Dick Thaler! None of that happens here. The information shared doesn't even flow smoothly.

This course relies mainly on PDF slides (if I wanted to read, I would've bought a book). At one point, it even links to 6 articles on another website (and that's in the quiz as well). It seems like very little effort was put into this online class by the professors. The slides themselves seemed scatter-brained, several times asking questions that are never even answered. It was almost as if someone took already prepared slides from a course and just kind of mashed them with a very little bit of video to make an "online" course. Even the answers to quizzes seemed extremely vague (it often felt like there were several right answers... or none -- to me, this is sloppy quiz writing).

I honestly expected better from both Coursera and Duke! The only redeeming part about this course is that behavioral economics is honestly compelling, despite the shortcomings pointed out.

By Gaurav S

May 15, 2017

This course touches upon important concepts very briefly and a lot of content is vague and not didactic. Some of the terminology used is not consistent with that used in the standard textbooks possibly to handicap students from cross referencing, though this practice is not uncommon in many top notch Business Schools' curriculum. This course seems more like an advertisement for the university than a true effort towards educating the masses. Moreover, the quizzes predominantly ask "what is this called" rather than "how does this work". The content could have been better.

By Ana A V M d F

May 03, 2017

While the topic is interesting, the materials are poor and the lectures are not particularly insightful. The slides have several mistakes and typos, which makes you doubt the whole course. The speakers are not engaging and it just looks like no effort was made in preparing this course. Additionally, the materials do not prepare you for the review, and on weeks 2 and 3 (the hardest) you don't have a chance to review the questions or correct your mistakes. The course really needs some improving!

By Szabolcs T

Nov 24, 2017

I believe many of the concepts in the quizzes were not covered in sufficient details neither in the videos nor in the supplementary materials. Overall there was not enough material provided on the subject.

By Jiaxing L

Sep 21, 2016

Basically not much content. The guest speaker uses unnecessarily weird examples in his talk.

By Yuze Y

Dec 28, 2016

Not enough materials in the video. Most of the info are in the reading.

By Yuki M

Apr 08, 2018

Good topic without contents. Videos are simply too short and they just give you PDFs and tell you to "just read it". Then you are required to take the tests with lots of application with the behavioural concepts, with minimal input. The highlight is that they just put links to third part pages that explain past bubble cases. How dare you be so lazy? This was the worst course I encountered on Coursera for sure.

By Can H

Aug 08, 2016

The video lectures are not adequate, too much self-study effort is needed to have a good understanding of the subject. The time allocated for this topic is not enough.

By Hilde K

Aug 12, 2016

This course had almost no lectures. It was almost all done in downloadable PDF's that were rarely discussed in the lectures. I never learned why anything happened.

By Daniel S

Oct 16, 2018

I expected much more from Duke - home of Dan Ariely. The study materials are like notes from lectures. Vidoes are not more than just repetitions of notes.

By Lily D

Sep 17, 2017

Generally it's a fantastic online course, which gives me so much insight to an area I have previously unaware of. Behavioral Finance is meaningful because it takes human behavior factors into account of finance models, especially psychology factor. It offers me new insight into a study of interdisciplinary subjects. Class outlines and videos are well-organized and challenging. However, I think the test questions are sometimes a little bit difficult, and test2 and test3 should have answers and analysis like test1. It will always be better to review the knowledge you learned after making some mistakes and being eager to know the causes. Generally, I love the course!

By Arun C

Jan 02, 2019

Thank you very much for provide such an excellent platform to learn. I want to learn this course “Behavioural Finance” from last 3 years but don’t have path and guidance. But by Coursera with Tata capital I get this opportunity.

As far as course is concern Excellent course. Helps to establish the balance between probabilistic truth and illusions that infect our decision-making. Insightful short course on psychological background on investing. The course is well designed, especially the case study examples.

By KYRIAKOS M

Aug 12, 2016

This course is really interesting, especially for people that are into Business Management and Psychology. In my humble opinion, every human being is a decision maker in their everyday life and this course( in conjuction with other sciences) is a tool of paramount importance to make better and more effective decisions in the everyday life. I feel really happy to have had the opportunity to learn all that i have learned and become a better decision maker starting from..now!

By Tiago F A M

Mar 22, 2018

Very interesting course and content! As a graduate in Economy and Master in Finance it was very interesting to see the other side that normally economists don't see. It was really interesting and marking knowing it exists the Prospect theory that is more precise explaining humar behaviour, that I've never heard about in my academic education. Also, seeing what is behind every market bubble or crash, helps giving new light to understand such events.

By Kannan S

May 22, 2017

I was exposed to the topics for the first time. Hence, this is a beginner's feedback.

I would have liked the course to be structured in the following manner - Week 1 - theoretical input; Week 2 - Introduction to all biases; Week 3 - Practical examples of specific biases exhibited in real life situations

Some of the biases in Quizzes are not part of the curriculum - does it mean they are false responses or the course did not cover them?

By Diego B

Oct 09, 2018

This is a great beginners course. It's challenging enough to keep you interested but not so much so as to make you feel out of depth and despaired. The 3 week program ramps up nicely and helps you ease into the material. There are more math than I was expecting but it's a finance course after all so it's not so surprising and one can still follow the course even if not comfortable with numbers.

By Danny S

Feb 13, 2020

I consider this course to of been a thought-provoking and rewarding lesson on the psychological pitfalls of investment decision-making. The course provided insight into how and why a market may fluctuate due to how we perceive and react to events. The exercises and examples were key in framing exactly how we make the mistakes and irrational choices in decisions about our money.

By Galymbek M

Jul 22, 2019

turned out to be very demanding course. This course shed some light at the basics of behavioral finance. After the course, it is interesting indeed to continue education/self-education on the behavioral finance/economics issues. in addition, this course came just in time to help better evaluate current projects at work (financial institution)

By Quyen T N T

Mar 21, 2017

I just stumble upon this course and like the lecturer says it's a relatively new school of thoughts. It combines psychology and finance or to say find psychology application in finance subjects.

I did come around my university to find finance books written about this subjects but so disappointed I found none physical books, all are ebooks.

By VARUN B

Aug 28, 2016

Was a major eye opener for learners and beginners I could relate with most of the biases which were introduced in this subject was feeling reluctant as always to attempt the exam papers nonetheless I downloaded all the PDFs of all the chapters for life long learning which is most important for me as I am a potential future investor.

By Harsha P

Jan 04, 2018

The course is very well designed. The tutorials, this course would offer is worth reading. The faculty, explained the concepts in a way that aspirants from various geographical locations can feel comfortable and understand them well. I would suggest all to pursue this course before they invest their money in market.

By Kirati S

Mar 31, 2018

As a long time investor, I found this course is very helpful to get to learn how psychology affects our decision making everyday. It's not only help me to learn the bias but also find way of how to overcome it. The reading material is excellence having provided tons of case studies that we all can benefit from.

By Chiranjeevi C

Mar 14, 2018

It was a very good experience to me. I have got to know many new things in the field of finance and markets. Most importantly I enjoyed this course from the start till the end. Thanks to the two professors who spent their time making this course online. I would recommend this course to my friends as well.