Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

AM

Aug 16, 2017

Great course! It allows to understand the twisted logic that run in our heads. Helps to establish the balance between probabilistic truth and illusions that infect our decision-making. Thanks a lot!

SK

Feb 26, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

51 - 75 of 623 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By thuonghien

Jun 24, 2018

This's useful course for my Finance Major. It's not only offer the theory applying real life, but also helps Behavioral Finance of people is rational. I wish that The course would be advanced from another reputation universities. Thank Coursera so much.

By Hemang D G

Apr 23, 2020

very good examples to illustrate the various biases and challenging quizzes. Would have liked some explanations for answers for the latter quizzes as I couldn't answer a few queastions even after a re-quiz. Excellent introduction to Behavior Finance !

By Sameer K

Aug 04, 2016

Excellent course. Quick and concise, but packed with hugely relevant theory for those in the financial services and investment management world. Well delivered and excellent tests to cement the knowledge. My thanks to the organisers for their work.

By César R P M

Aug 30, 2020

It is a short (3 weeks) but very complete course, with very useful explanation of each cognitive bias that affect our financial decisions. I recommend this course especially because the content that explains our behavior in the financial crisis.

By Benjamin G

Jul 26, 2017

Good mix of slide pdfs and videos to promote enough thoughtful discussion of the topic to feel like I learned something. Additionally, the quizzes were actually pretty challenging. I feel like those were excellent learning opportunities as well.

By Jeremy R P L

Dec 22, 2016

I personally enjoy this course, really interesting in different points and open my vision in a way. I would like to be able to communicate directly with the professor because I was uncertain of my level of comprehension through certain parts.

By Galib N

Aug 10, 2020

after reading Kahneman's book, thought that I do know and can recognize them. It was overconfidence bias)).

Emma did a great job with short readings for each week.

Will try to see and recognize as much bias as you teach us, Emma. Thank you

By isabel g z

I think this course is very interesting. I will redistribute the lessons.

theme 2 was very difficult and theme 3 was too short.

It was very useful the corrections of theme 1´test ; why did you not include them in theme 2 and theme 3 ones?

By Sankar R

Aug 13, 2017

It was an awesome experience and the course was really informative and has helped me in understanding the concepts of Behavioral Finance. I Thank the faculty of the Duke University as well as the Coursera team for offering this course.

By Kedar J

Dec 06, 2017

Great Course! Everyone should take this to understand common biases that lead us to "irrational" decision making due to common behaviors hard wired in us.

The test result explanation should be included to further clarify the concepts.

By Lotus Q

Apr 26, 2017

Excellent Course with many useful example drawn from life. The tests are a good check on whether you have fully understood the material and a good opportunity to revise anything that is not clear. I really enjoyed taking this course.

By Yao Z A

Feb 06, 2020

The teachings are informative and well-paced. I love how the lectures are deconstructed to simplify the concepts to be learnt and the readings were illustrated by examples that were easy to follow. An enjoyable course to go through.

By Carlos F L P V

Apr 07, 2020

If you are good at self-study habits, this course will largely meet your expectations. This is not an easy one, but the material is very useful and broad. If you want to learn about Behavioral Finance at is glance, this is for you.

By ANRAN L

Feb 15, 2017

The way Emma explains theories are really clear. For students whose first language are not English, her speed of teaching is proper. I just finished the very first part "Utility of Money". Looking forward to learning more from her.

By Somil G

Feb 18, 2020

Wonderful course! Blends in learnings from Nudge and Thinking, Fast and Slow in a sensible and example-led way that creates curiosity an makes it fun! Quizzes are even better at encouraging good revision of the concepts! Loved it!

By Edo B F

Jun 26, 2019

This light course help me to identify biases that happen when we are making decision/seeing things, not only in financial market, but also in our daily life. Highly recommended for everyone who want to invest in financial market.

By Lukasz B

Jan 07, 2019

Great, synthesised knowledge from various fields: behavioral finance, psychology, markets, trading and history. Recommended to everyone who wants to participate in free market like stocks or forex, cryptocurrencies, etc.

By Bismith N

Aug 13, 2019

The course is really good to develop an understanding of the subject. The content is good and engaging. However, the videos could be a bit longer and should contain additional case studies and examples as well.

By Sara P

Dec 05, 2017

The course was very interesting; both the lectures and reading materials provided were useful and helped clarify a few concepts. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in behavioural finance and neuroeconomics.

By Bernardo M d M M

Mar 14, 2018

The course is excellent! It allows us to understand different perspectives of human behaviour related with finance and economics. All the bias and the "problems" learnt in this course are really important!

By Ivan D

Jul 01, 2018

For the curious but unitiated to Behaviour finance, this course course is a treat! The content is crisp and the quizzes are twisted - taking up the challenge of completing this course was very rewarding.

By Alton L

Jan 01, 2018

I enjoyed the class and the material covered. The professors presented the information in a concise and engaging format. I found my self seeking additional information on the topic through-out the class.

By Evan O

Aug 07, 2016

I love the idea of behavioral Finance. i find this course leaves you with a lot of terms and ideas to explore outside of the text. If that is what you enjoy, this course is highly recommended by myself

By Martin Š

May 03, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

By Everton H M M

Mar 01, 2020

Pra mim foi um curso maravilhoso recomendo ele para todas as pessoas que querem aprender como nos comportamos com nosso dinheiro o curso tem muito aprendizado e muita leitura gostei muito.