Back to Emotions: a Philosophical Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Emotions: a Philosophical Introduction by Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona

4.2

Philosophy is like sex: sure you can get some interesting results, but that's not why we do it. Going one step beyond…why do you FEEL pain or pleasure? Do plants have emotions? How is possible that some people do not understand other’s emotions? Emotions seem to be everywhere, giving meaning to all events of our lives. They are the backbone of social activities as well as they drive the cognitive processes of several living entities. Several animals, including humans, have emotions but…what about machines?...Do machine can have emotions? This course will help you to understand and to identify most important philosophical ideas and debates about emotions, as well as it will provide you a rich source of data about neurological, psychological or anthropological analysis of emotions. In a nutshell: this is a course to feel and think about....

TC

Aug 05, 2016

Love this course. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to understand emotions. Jordi, I can't wait to do your next course.

VS

Aug 02, 2017

This course is very interesting, I highly recommend it, and the professor is so cool!.

1 - 25 of 62 Reviews for Emotions: a Philosophical Introduction

By Dorothy H

Sep 22, 2017

I would have loved this if it had been in the professor's native language of Spanish, but with that dense accent it was intolerable and unintelligible for me as a native speaker of English.

Please think about re-doing this one over again in Castellano.

By Sue S

Aug 01, 2017

I very much enjoyed this experience. I have never before smiled through an entire course, online or in person. Jordi Vallverdu is a trip. It has been extremely refreshing to spend some time with a philosopher who is actually able to connect on a human level FIRST. And, hey, I learned some things along the way. I used the subtitles, but they often mucked things up more than they clarified. If the subtitles could be generated by a human as opposed to a computer, I think it would clear things up a lot. I highly recommend this course- interesting, well-paced, and fun.

By Katja S

Jun 26, 2019

This is a great course! In the beginning it was a bit hard to understand the Professor, as English is my second language as well. But nonetheless, the information presented and the personality of the Professor totally win over. Also, there are subtitles!

By karime e p g

Mar 20, 2019

Its a really great course, just consider that english is not his first language

By Enrique J P R

May 04, 2018

Seria genial verlo tmb es español...

By Ivanka D

Jan 08, 2018

Great course to learn more about emotions. The only thing was that it was sometimes difficult to follow the professor because of the language. But besides that it was verry interessting. And you can tell that the professor loves his work. He tells the theory with humor and allot of examples.

By Victor G d O S

Sep 09, 2016

It was a fairly good course, the professor is funny and the slideshow itself is well made, but the content sometimes got boring and my mind stepped away from the course, something that did not happen even with other more difficult courses.

By RBUlrich

Sep 04, 2016

It wood be interesting, but unfortunatly Prof. Vallverdú's English is quite hard to understand. The scripts are therfore nearly unreadable. What a pity!

By reneryu

Dec 20, 2016

The lecturer and his avatar are funny, the course content is structured but the delivery is a bit loose...

By Beate P

Dec 09, 2019

The professor has a good personality. As an English speaker, I had a difficult time understanding the professor which made it difficult to focus. His English skills were sub-par and his pronunciation was painful at times. To improve, he could have rehearsed his lecture while having someone correct his mistakes. His slides contained many errors and some things did not make any sense. Also, it is distracting to have a small camera view of the professor. First, the professor should be front and center standing up (not sitting at a desk unless he is disabled). The slides should be behind him so that we can focus directly on him. Please refer to other courses such as Digital Marketing from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

By Harika

Jun 30, 2018

Its a great course that explains how our environment and the language we speak effect how we feel/express the emotions and how they play a major role in our cognitive tasks and also how the states of emotion are integrated part in brains cognitive functioning.Good intro to know how techniques like reinforcement learning are used also nice article on how our brains process and store information based on the idea of convolutions.

By Fiona G

Jul 06, 2017

This was a great course. I took it to help me understand better what I was attempting to do with my hobby of abstract art. I learned how to focus on my emotions while painting and it has resulted in really creative work.

By Milecia M

Oct 07, 2016

This course gives some great insight as to why and how we act emotionally. It walks through the physical and cultural aspects of emotions in ways that really tell why we do and interpret things certain ways.

By Fisico R B

Sep 08, 2017

Yo estudio las Emociones de las MujeresMexicanas de la Ciudad de Mexico y este curso ha siido Magnifico de Gran Ayuda, Felicitaciones al Profesor Jordi!!!

By Ma E D L

Jan 24, 2018

Such a great course! Biologist involved with neuroscience will really find the contents delightful and a real learning enviroment

By Tanya C

Aug 05, 2016

By Helder C

Jan 15, 2017

Very interesting course. It provides good informations about the basics of emotions as a philosophical issue.

By sukran c

Jan 26, 2018

Very good presented and very beneficial. Thank your for sharing your knowledge with us

By Valeria S

Aug 02, 2017

By André L d C B P

Jan 23, 2020

Thanks, Jordi

your class was amazing fun. And I learned a lot from you.

Thanks again.

By César A G A

Nov 20, 2017

Interesante y diverso. Buen material complementario. Enfoque multidisciplinar.

By Bart S

Aug 19, 2017

excellent class, truly unique and mind expanding, do it again!

By Isidro L

Jul 26, 2017

Lots of very interesting topics, I highly recommend it! :-)

By Alice Z

May 21, 2019

well done. So much more than feelings.

By Prashant S S