Back to Emotions: a Philosophical Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Emotions: a Philosophical Introduction by Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona

4.2

Philosophy is like sex: sure you can get some interesting results, but that's not why we do it. Going one step beyond…why do you FEEL pain or pleasure? Do plants have emotions? How is possible that some people do not understand other’s emotions? Emotions seem to be everywhere, giving meaning to all events of our lives. They are the backbone of social activities as well as they drive the cognitive processes of several living entities. Several animals, including humans, have emotions but…what about machines?...Do machine can have emotions? This course will help you to understand and to identify most important philosophical ideas and debates about emotions, as well as it will provide you a rich source of data about neurological, psychological or anthropological analysis of emotions. In a nutshell: this is a course to feel and think about....

JB

This course is very well put together with lots of emotions. It is very interesting on how are emotions come about. Thanks to the Professor.

TC

Aug 05, 2016

Love this course. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to understand emotions. Jordi, I can't wait to do your next course.

26 - 50 of 86 Reviews for Emotions: a Philosophical Introduction

By André L d C B P

Jan 23, 2020

Thanks, Jordi

your class was amazing fun. And I learned a lot from you.

Thanks again.

By César A G A

Nov 20, 2017

Interesante y diverso. Buen material complementario. Enfoque multidisciplinar.

By Brandy

Apr 09, 2020

So much fun and really digs deep into our understanding of emotion.

By Bart S

Aug 19, 2017

excellent class, truly unique and mind expanding, do it again!

By Isidro L

Jul 26, 2017

Lots of very interesting topics, I highly recommend it! :-)

By Victor M

May 07, 2020

Maravilloso trabajo. Muy bueno el curso. Saludos

By Alice Z

May 21, 2019

well done. So much more than feelings.

By Prashant S S

Jul 31, 2019

Very Good and informative course

By Hemilene M G

May 16, 2020

It was an amazing experience!

By 遙 傅

Jun 06, 2019

Thank you for the courses.

By Eme R

Dec 11, 2016

Superb!

By Sergio A C

Oct 28, 2016

GOOD

By Sahishnu M

Apr 21, 2020

Thank you Professor Jordi. It was a very interesting learning journey. I most enjoyed the additional reading materials and videos that you have shared and also the books that you have referred. I am sure that will be the most useful and helpful contribution of this course.

This course gains much more importance for me since I want to establish myself as a certified assessor and coach for developing and effectively using Emotional Intelligence in the workplace. I wanted to begin this journey with a better understanding of how exactly does our contemporary sciences define emotion and how philosophy places this understanding in the larger social context . I am extremely happy that I started at the right place.

By Ergin H

Sep 01, 2017

A valuable introduction to the world of emotions. If you're thinking of studying emotions or considering emotions as part of your wider studies then this course is a great place to start. Of concern, however, is that along with other Coursera courses I have taken, some of the assessment questions are unconnected (and even disconnected) with course content. I'm left thinking that assessment has been quickly thrown together in an effort to get the course completed to some deadline- I imagine, rather than carefully put together to test and encourage learning. Evenso, this is a very good course.

By Alexander S

May 13, 2017

The course is a nice introduction to the subject albeit the lectures are hard to follow and the transcripts are abominable. Papers and additional videos are sometimes more beneficial than the lectures themselves. The course misses the opportunity of providing the students with the formative feedback.

Content-wise I missed the discussion on how emotions are being expressed in human communication (verbal or non-verbal), while the neuro-focus of the paper was a little bit too much for me.

By L.Z

Jul 13, 2019

Great course, very thought provoking.

However:

it is better to suggest a little background in philosophy (and the philosophy of science) as a condition to enter the course.

The course doesn't focus enough on philosophical aspects - in fact, I'd say a better title for the course would be "A general introduction to emotions", since the course doesn't focus on philosophical aspects of emotions.