Back to English Composition I

English Composition I, Duke University

About this Course

You will gain a foundation for college-level writing valuable for nearly any field. Students will learn how to read carefully, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, engage with others' ideas, cite accurately, and craft powerful prose. Course Learning Objectives • Summarize, analyze, question, and evaluate written and visual texts • Argue and support a position • Recognize audience and disciplinary expectations • Identify and use the stages of the writing process • Identify characteristics of effective prose • Apply proper citation practices • Discuss applying your writing knowledge to other writing occasions...

By JR

Mar 08, 2017

Very helpful for writers and future career writers. Plus the professor is extremely down to earth. Was not expecting that and I forgive her for being a Duke fan. Go Tar Heels!!!! jk jk

By AA

Dec 15, 2017

I very excited to get this certificate and improved my knowledge writing and skills to get better understand for create a fiction with rules that I learned in Duke University

89 Reviews

By Viet Tran

Mar 20, 2019

So great, thanks so much.

By JimmyChan

Mar 17, 2019

Amazing course, it makes me more active to write essay.

By Esequias Ferreira da Silva

Mar 11, 2019

Very important course

By Xiaoyun Yu

Mar 10, 2019

I love the way Dr. Comer is presenting. It is warm and full of knowledge. This is a course fundamental for all of the college students and I have learned a lot about English writing thourgh it. It seems to me like I were still in college. Thank you Dr.!

By Fernanda Malagón Alonso

Feb 23, 2019

It is a little annoying that all assignments are peer reviewed and feedback is not always available before your next deadline even when you submitted in time. In general, it is a good course and I would recommend it!

By Julián Candermo

Jan 29, 2019

Habla muy rápido. Necesito aprender y con esa velocidad es imposible seguir al docente.

By Al-Da

Nov 25, 2018

This course was amazing! It taught me how to write assignments, how to peer-asses, how to write in academic style, how to cite, and taught me about all citation schools. It was fun, challenging and a great experience. I was able to discover my abilities in writing, which I was very unsure about. It provided me with all that I need, to start my first college year full with confident.

The tutor was very well-acknowledged, and she was so nice.

Thank you Denise Comer, and I hope that you would make another course, about another aspect of writing.

By Linta Mustafa

Nov 20, 2018

I really liked this course. It was very beneficial for my academic writing.

By Renato Giancarlos Meza Gamarra

Oct 18, 2018

It was an excellent option to practice basics aspects of writing as well as to discover new ones to improve at it

By Jonathan Iván Lucero Avendaño

Oct 11, 2018

The contents of the course are not bad, but the peer review system is an absolute failure. If you enroll into this course get ready to get absolutely no useful feedback. It is ridiculous that the course is called English composition and yet 70% of my peers were unable to speak or write english properly. I'm not an english native speaker but I consider that my english is decent enough to do my assignments properly, that's why it is so frustrating that I spent time reviewing carefully other people's texts only to get absolute crap in return either by people who can't speak english, or by english speakers that are so lazy that they can't make a little effort to give you any sort of useful feedback. So don't waste your time. You can find all the knowledge that this course offers in other sites without having to waste your time with dumb or lazy peers.