Back to English Composition I

English Composition I, Duke University

About this Course

You will gain a foundation for college-level writing valuable for nearly any field. Students will learn how to read carefully, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, engage with others' ideas, cite accurately, and craft powerful prose. Course Learning Objectives • Summarize, analyze, question, and evaluate written and visual texts • Argue and support a position • Recognize audience and disciplinary expectations • Identify and use the stages of the writing process • Identify characteristics of effective prose • Apply proper citation practices • Discuss applying your writing knowledge to other writing occasions...

By JR

Mar 08, 2017

Very helpful for writers and future career writers. Plus the professor is extremely down to earth. Was not expecting that and I forgive her for being a Duke fan. Go Tar Heels!!!! jk jk

By AA

Dec 15, 2017

I very excited to get this certificate and improved my knowledge writing and skills to get better understand for create a fiction with rules that I learned in Duke University

96 Reviews

By Mauro TN Barbosa

May 22, 2019

Great content, excelent exposition

By Vaishaly Jaipakash

May 21, 2019

Good course with peer reviewed assessment, one can gain more from online learning.

By Irene

Apr 27, 2019

This is a very interesting and well-done course. Participants get not only the chance to learn a lot from interesting lectures, they'll also have the opportunities to practise what they've learned. As a student gained a lot by studying English Composition I.

By GUSTAVO SCAVINO

Apr 16, 2019

she's so boring :(

By Michelle Hipple

Apr 08, 2019

Great Course!

By Ada Yadira Gallardo Rodriguez

Apr 07, 2019

This course is a marvelous and resourceful tool to improve writing skills! :)

By J. Turbes-Shaw

Apr 03, 2019

The structure is unclear and so new students do not know how to write essays, how to interact with peers, etc. How the course proceeds and how students are to interact should be made clear at the start. Also: how long is a 300-word essay? I have no way of measuring, and when I completed my first essay it was simply cut off at the end! Why no chance to edit??

By Viet Tran

Mar 20, 2019

So great, thanks so much.

By JimmyChan

Mar 17, 2019

Amazing course, it makes me more active to write essay.

By Esequias Ferreira da Silva