Back to English Composition I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English Composition I by Duke University

You will gain a foundation for college-level writing valuable for nearly any field. Students will learn how to read carefully, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, engage with others' ideas, cite accurately, and craft powerful prose. Course Learning Objectives • Summarize, analyze, question, and evaluate written and visual texts • Argue and support a position • Recognize audience and disciplinary expectations • Identify and use the stages of the writing process • Identify characteristics of effective prose • Apply proper citation practices • Discuss applying your writing knowledge to other writing occasions...

JR

Mar 08, 2017

Very helpful for writers and future career writers. Plus the professor is extremely down to earth. Was not expecting that and I forgive her for being a Duke fan. Go Tar Heels!!!! jk jk

AA

Dec 15, 2017

I very excited to get this certificate and improved my knowledge writing and skills to get better understand for create a fiction with rules that I learned in Duke University

76 - 100 of 108 Reviews for English Composition I

Its great!

Thanks for opportunity !

By Isis G B C

Jul 08, 2019

I liked the English Composition I Course, I learned many tools to improve the writing. Activities were essentials to learn more.

By Vaishaly J

May 21, 2019

Good course with peer reviewed assessment, one can gain more from online learning.

By Mauro T B

May 22, 2019

Great content, excelent exposition

By Seema T

Aug 18, 2019

I really liked it, I never wrote an analysis, or an op-ed before this course. So it helped me a lot.

By Revano P

Aug 26, 2019

It was great but am still Waiting on nu certificaat

By pao f

Sep 20, 2019

Thank you so much I learnt a lot!

By Shunyo M

Aug 30, 2019

The Proffessor is self aware in a manor that promotes me to allow myself to look at my timeline and look back at my path. Great Class.

By Michelle M

Oct 10, 2019

Very Helpful if you are looking to better your writing skills

By Georgi S

Oct 11, 2019

This course is another gem on coursera. This must be the best site for academic studying, especially when that entails getting somebody from zero knowledge to an almost advanced knowledge of the topic in question.

The tutor is extremely friendly, helpful and accurate in establishing a framework for writing, on which, we, as students, can build slowly a "scaffolding" (as one text refers to it), and, as a result, become better writers. The best way to learn writing is through continuous practice and the practice of a variety of genres, both of which are present in the course :)

By Fernanda M A

Feb 23, 2019

It is a little annoying that all assignments are peer reviewed and feedback is not always available before your next deadline even when you submitted in time. In general, it is a good course and I would recommend it!

By Renato G M G

Oct 18, 2018

It was an excellent option to practice basics aspects of writing as well as to discover new ones to improve at it

By Athit C

Dec 28, 2016

the lecturer's voice is too low

By ANDREEA S

May 06, 2017

IT IS VERY INTERESTING AND THAT IS ALL I WANNA SAY RIGHT NOW

By Joycelynwu

Aug 06, 2016

The course content is excellent, but the peer review quality can be improved. Course Mentors are kind and helpful, however, the system is not functioning well sometimes.

By Jessica

May 26, 2016

Areas of improvements:

common mistakes made and how to overcome them

sentence structure and vocabulary

learning from prose to better refine writing style

By TJ B

Jun 26, 2016

Cool

By Sakina Q H

Apr 24, 2017

English Composition I is an extremely detailed, comprehensive, easy-to-follow and well-thought-out course to help aspiring writers as well as academicians. Dr. Denise Comer, the course instructor, has a very engaging style. She is also very encouraging and makes everything sound very easy, which makes one confident that he/she can do well. Other experts have also shared their insight through videos which are very helpful. Readings and various websites provide guidance and assistance throughout the learning process. The grading system is also thorough. I suggest that if possible, lowest scoring students should be given some kind of a personalized feedback in order to encourage them to do better or address their weak areas. I will definitely recommend this course to other people.

By Julian A N G

Feb 15, 2018

The videos are clear and the writing techniques/explanations/advice/recommendations given by the instructors are also clear. The problem (in my opinion) is that the writing assignments are not graded by the instructors themselves but by the same students. I know there are too many students that it would be impossible for the instructors to grade all the assignments but at least the final writing work. In general, a very good course.

By Krishna K U

Jul 14, 2019

The course was really useful for me. It enhanced my reading and writing skills as well as editing.

By Alex S

Sep 30, 2019

Genial

By Sabrina L

Sep 06, 2018

This is so confusing to use, but it got a little better as you went.

By Aastha m

Jul 11, 2016

the scholarly writing becomes easier after taking this course. it is definitely an interesting course.