Back to English Composition I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English Composition I by Duke University

You will gain a foundation for college-level writing valuable for nearly any field. Students will learn how to read carefully, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, engage with others' ideas, cite accurately, and craft powerful prose. Course Learning Objectives • Summarize, analyze, question, and evaluate written and visual texts • Argue and support a position • Recognize audience and disciplinary expectations • Identify and use the stages of the writing process • Identify characteristics of effective prose • Apply proper citation practices • Discuss applying your writing knowledge to other writing occasions...

JR
Mar 7, 2017

Very helpful for writers and future career writers. Plus the professor is extremely down to earth. Was not expecting that and I forgive her for being a Duke fan. Go Tar Heels!!!! jk jk

DP
Aug 13, 2020

It was an invigorating experience, as I learned and will continue to learn how to express my ideas better, for different purposes, as well as to address them to different readers.

151 - 175 of 205 Reviews for English Composition I

Feb 3, 2021

Nice

By Soroop A S

Nov 14, 2020

Good

By Ojeranti O I

Jul 29, 2020

good

By Sanjana

Jun 2, 2017

yoco

By Bruna S A

Jun 1, 2020

By SK Q

Apr 24, 2017

English Composition I is an extremely detailed, comprehensive, easy-to-follow and well-thought-out course to help aspiring writers as well as academicians. Dr. Denise Comer, the course instructor, has a very engaging style. She is also very encouraging and makes everything sound very easy, which makes one confident that he/she can do well. Other experts have also shared their insight through videos which are very helpful. Readings and various websites provide guidance and assistance throughout the learning process. The grading system is also thorough. I suggest that if possible, lowest scoring students should be given some kind of a personalized feedback in order to encourage them to do better or address their weak areas. I will definitely recommend this course to other people.

By Alina N

Nov 21, 2020

This course has taught me, so much. I am thankful to our course professor Denise Comer for her cooperation and smile that made this journey truly possible. Thanks to the classmate who has always been generous and reliable in giving feedback. I have learned to hold a purpose and I will always use academic rules for writing. When I started this course, I never relay on myself or do a work that contain self-assessment but now I sure do. It has boost up my confidence in learning. I was so happy to meet and interact with people through their writing. I was so much fun. I will miss this course but I assure you that I will never stop my writing process. Thank you.

By Pew P

Aug 1, 2020

The course offered some nice tips, and opportunities to work with different writing tasks. I liked the freedom to choose my own topic of interest to write, while still being directed on what type of writing I had to do (visual analysis, case study, etc.) I also liked how I had many chances to read others' works, which allowed me to grow as a writer. However, every assignment was peer reviewed. I have no guarantee that my writing is actually good when I receive a high grade. There are also some peers that are lazy and provide no feedback whatsoever. I would have liked a professor to read through at least one of my written assignments.

By Rasha

Aug 14, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course. The content is very interesting. I've learned a lot, not only from the teaching materials, but also from reading peers assignments. However, the major flaw of this MOOC, in my personal opinion, is the peer-review assessment. I chose to take the course for free. Nonetheless, I don't think "good", "ok" or "-" can count as assessment. Whether I'm a paying student or not, I still believe there should be some way to ensure a minimum requirement when it comes to the feedback given.

By Julian A N G

Feb 15, 2018

The videos are clear and the writing techniques/explanations/advice/recommendations given by the instructors are also clear. The problem (in my opinion) is that the writing assignments are not graded by the instructors themselves but by the same students. I know there are too many students that it would be impossible for the instructors to grade all the assignments but at least the final writing work. In general, a very good course.

By María U

Jul 6, 2020

This was a course where a learnt how important is to read carefully to make good and strong arguments, the only thing I would change are some readings because I found them kind of odd, however I strongly recommend this course to anybody who wants to improve in writing skills.

By Yashwant P

Aug 10, 2020

The feedback your peers gave was very supportive and constructive so it allowed me to learn from my writing. The course also offers google hangouts writing workshops so you can learn from others. Overall my experience was good.

By Elizabeth K

Jul 19, 2020

I found the variety of projects interesting even though I didn't need to watch all the videos on the papers. I would maybe suggest that you give one or two examples of papers so we could have a clearer idea of what to do.

By Fernanda M A

Feb 23, 2019

It is a little annoying that all assignments are peer reviewed and feedback is not always available before your next deadline even when you submitted in time. In general, it is a good course and I would recommend it!

By Ms F P

Tough it is a lengthy course, there is number of things that we get to learn from this MOOC, and material along with the workshop was interesting. you actually feel like being the part of the team and course-lane.

By William I T

Aug 30, 2020

This course is superb and has further enhanced my literature composing capabilities. Peer review is excellent however the course could be improved with the addition of administrative criticism and revision.

By Sandra C

Nov 5, 2019

I wish it still had the intervention of the University or at least some of the Professors that have participated in it. But overall a great course with a lot of useful information and examples