Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

PT
Mar 12, 2021

I had fun enrolling on this course and it's very insightful. And Keep the great work, Dr Shane Dixon. I can't wait to complete the rest of the courses so that I get my professional certificate. Thanks

CR
May 12, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

251 - 275 of 3,540 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Kristen V

Aug 9, 2019

This was a wonderful course which far exceeded my expectations. I actually looked forward to each lesson, and I am motivated to continue on to get my TESOL certificate through Teach English Now. Dr. Dixon and team definitely practiced what they preached by keeping it fresh and interesting.

By maria b

Oct 24, 2018

Great content, effective delivery and thought provoking essay questions. Bear in mind that you get out of the course what you put in. Ensure to use the assignments as reflections of the modules which you can go back to during your teaching careers and use as forms of professional development.

By Annie r

Apr 26, 2019

Hello friends. I just started my learning after a nice gap of years and i thought to give it a try and i am happy to say that i could do it as the course is not that tough and very understandable and more over you get to read so many reviews. I really enjoyed completing the course. Thankyou.

By Katie S

Jan 30, 2021

These people are teachers of teachers and really understand how to make classes engaging. They have put a LOT of effort into creating all of these lessons and acting out different portions. Each video is 10 mins max and most are shorter so they really hold your attention and go very fast!

By Amber K

Apr 28, 2020

The material was presented in an inspirational, easy-to-understand manner, with great metaphors to help one remember the lesson. I really enjoyed the teaching example that used Haru's story, it was inspirational, and it was nice to see a small part of how teaching works in the classroom.

By Cong A K L

Apr 12, 2020

It's my pleasure and honor to enroll for your course. My feeling now is ineffable when I received such a certification from an elite tertiary educational institution. On the top of my gratitude to Dr.Shane Dixon and his team for his indefatigable effort to design such a consummate course.

By Mahdi S F

Jul 5, 2021

I greatly appreciate having the opportunity to broaden my knowledge and deepen my perspective about learning language. I would like to appreciate all members and those who create the course including coursera and Arizona State university with a special thank toward Dr.Shane.

Best Regards

By Mr. N s

May 23, 2020

It is indeed a very useful and motivating course not for just beginners for all those who wish to a language teacher. I personally got fully benefited in terms of new knowledge, core concepts of learning and skills. I would like to take on more such courses to enhance my competencies.

By Ruxue S

Sep 18, 2019

i really enjoy this course because the two instructors use active body languages and changeable tones and expressions to deliver, which makes this course interesting, and perfectly coherent with what they are teaching!_how to teach English. thank you all for this wonderful course!!!!1

By Mariia P

Aug 12, 2017

I LOVED this course! Everything was so clear and I enjoyed watching lectures and doing tasks. Thanks to all people who created this course, I've never been so satisfited with studying. After this course I feel totally confident that I can use techniques in real life. THANKS YOU A LOT!

By EKENYA F P E

Jul 11, 2016

I've learnt a lot thus far and it has transformed my entire preconception about teaching English language. Indeed "langauge is like cake" and not "anyone who speaks the language can teach the language". Thanks to you my Amazingly super great tutors. So glad to be part of your class!!!

By Marines G L P

Dec 21, 2016

The course was really amazing, I loved the didatic of the course, all the metaphors from Dr. Shane helped me a lot . The disign of the course was clean and easy to undertand and the quality of the videos simply perfect.

I will suggest all my friends that are teachers to do the course.

By Gaylene S M

May 10, 2021

Good springboard. This course is not only for teachers but for learners as well. It also goes beyond teaching English, it can be used to teach other subjects as well. Worth taking! The modules are also presented in a way that even a person with no teaching experience can understand.

By Indrani

Jul 29, 2020

The course is very well structured. Wonderfully modulated video lessons transfers the students inside actual classroom and we get a feel of part of Dr Dixon's class.

However, I feel some kind of interaction with our mentors throughout the journey will give a new edge to this course.

By Inass A

Dec 5, 2020

A very interesting course, which offers all the pedagogical terms in a personalized, metaphorical way. It makes it easy to understand as well as relate to the course. I did not expect them to be motivational as well, but it was a nice touch, which gave me more fire to my teaching.

By Svitlana G

Oct 19, 2019

Thanks to all the professors and Coursera who made it possible for us to learn while being on distance! It is an amazing opportunity and experience! Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and time!

I have enjoyed this course very much! I am looking forward for another one!

By Flor M

Jan 13, 2020

Great lectures and lecturers!

The reading materials are excellent and directly aimed to improve teaching skills.

Every lesson comes along with tasks which were carefully designed in order to encourage critical thinking as well as professional growth.

It exceeds my expectations!

By Jeanelfe J D

Dec 24, 2020

The experience was superb! I enjoyed making videos and Dr. Dixon was very enthusiastic and not a single moment was boring. This is the first online course I took which really drove me to finish it because they designed the course to be fun to watch. I'm glad I took this course.

By hilda m

Nov 22, 2020

This course is very informative and helpful especially to us who are planning to go into online teaching. The mentors and the whole Coursera team are very good in their field. Special mention to Dr. Shane for being such an engaging mentor. Thank you and God bless. Much love....

By Keishmer o C m

Aug 18, 2020

trough my time In this course I learned how to use my teaching abilities to help students improve on the way they learn a new foreign language, therefore I recommend this course to anyone who wants to fulfill goals in the teaching career and enhance their skills when teaching.

By Alisa Z

Nov 14, 2016

Truly amazing course. Expecially Dr. Shane Dixon who is an embodiment of what he is teaching throughout the course. I have learned a lot and also enjoyed a lot. Planning to continue with the specialization. Thank you so much, Coursera and Arizona State University! I'm you fan!

By Bubukan T

Apr 18, 2021

I am so glad to attend your program 'Teach English now! Foundational principles

Thank you for your hard work. You give me the opportunity to improve teaching and you teach me the necessary skills.

With sincere, profound gratitude Bubukan Tashmatova.

By John D A S

Dec 4, 2020

As an ESL teacher and a learner, this course provided me substantial information on how I can teach my students better by understanding the core values of teaching. I highly recommend this course to those who want to expand their knowledge about learning and teaching English.

By Marina S L

Aug 11, 2020

I highly recommend this course to anyone thinking about or already teaching English as a second/foreign language. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thank you to ASU for presenting the course in such an interesting fashion and to Coursera for hosting it entirely online for convenience.

By Nehal M

Jun 26, 2021

Thanks Dr. Shane and all staff members for such a great and competent course. I learned a lot of great things that I will put into my mind and I think that I started to form my own teaching philosophy thank to you.

YOU are really great instructors and teachers, Love you all.