Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 2

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 2 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 2" builds off of knowledge and skills obtained in "Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" and is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). In Part 2 of the course, learners will: 1) learn how to work with arrays and import/export arrays from/to Excel using VBA code; 2) learn how to work with text strings and write data to .txt files and import information from .txt files; 3) automate the import, modification, and consolidation of information from multiple worksheets into a central worksheet as well as the import of information from multiple workbooks to a central workbook; and 4) gain experience with creating professional user forms to interface with the user, perform advanced calculations, and manipulate data on the spreadsheet. Learners who have a foundational understanding of VBA code and programming structures can jump right into Part 2 of the course without taking Part 1 and use the screencasts in Part 1 as reference. Each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MC

Feb 26, 2019

Part 1 was great, but in part 2 i feel like i can now actually provide innovative solutions using VBA. It's a very well taught course that keeps you engaged through great quizzes and assignments.

RR

May 15, 2018

Not only am i extremely happy about the course material both in quality but in presentation , but also about the support provided by the profesor. Congrats. A very recommendable course.

1 - 25 of 147 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 2

By Martin S

Dec 30, 2018

I have just finished the second part of the VBA courses series. The course was as great and interesting as the previous one. The teacher's approach and enthusiasm for students to learn them something new is excellent. I appreciate Charlie's effort for development of these courses. During my studies at my university I had some classes focused on programming (e.g. Labview, Matlab etc.). All the time it was boring for me and I hated these classes. Here is a good example that all the new information you learn depends mostly on your teacher and teacher's approach. These VBA courses are very well-prepared, the stuff is easy explained and gained knowledge is verified in perfect examples. At the end of videos there is a small quiz which can be sometimes very tricky :D. I recommend these courses to everyone. They are worth it! Good work. :)

By Darren R

May 08, 2019

Again, another stellar course. VBA, Part 2 really leaves you with a solid foundation upon which you can continue to develop your Office development skills. And that's the beauty of this course. By learning Excel/VBA from Dr. N, you're really developing the ability to program any Office application. I've already written macros in Outlook, for example, using the knowledge Dr. N has imparted in both parts 1 and 2. Besides for the fulfillment Dr. N might get from reaching so many students with his excellent courses, I hope he's getting ample remuneration for his efforts because he deserves every penny of it, and I hope it encourages him to continue producing content on Coursera. I'd have no hesitation in completing more problem solving courses from him!

By Corey F

Dec 01, 2019

I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning Excel VBA. This course deservedly contains the words "Creative Problem Solving", as I feel it to be an accurate description.

Charlie comes across as a very knowledgeable and nice professor. His videos are short and to the point; and they will set you up for success. I personally found this learning approach to be satisfying because there is no one right answer to the assignments, which allows students to find their own way to solve problems.

To do well in this course I recommend taking notes by hand to avoid using the computer as a crutch. While it seems counter-intuitive, I found writing out the code forced me to "think like the computer".

By Zhen G

Jul 15, 2019

Awesome courses, I love the content (super useful and fun to learn), as well as the way how the courses are organized - I took half to one hour a day after work or during lunch break to watch the videos and I can always know which page I'm on.

The only things that I wish could change a little bit would be: 1. increase the volume (too low if not wear headphones); 2. answers and explanations for quiz (wk3-4); 3. if possible i really want to have a assignments answers so I can compare with mine even though I can pass.

Nothing would change the great experience of this course, I'm happy that I passed and super happy that i can apply what i learnt from here to my job! :)

By Wilfried K

Apr 11, 2020

I want to thank professor Nuttelman again for this excellent course. The teachings are great and I have learnt a lot. He actually dug some important features of VBA. The continuous use of the important features of the course 1 such as arrays, loops and If...Then conditions gives students the opportunity to master them. For this reason, I think the arrays should stay in my mind for a while. I have a suggestion to make however : the text functions could be explained in depth. While working on them, I had the impression of just copying code.

By Diego A Q

Dec 12, 2018

Amazing course. Very useful tools are given here as a continuation of Part I. Professor Charlie Nuttelman explains everything very concretely, so that if you struggle with the assignments (which are very challenging on week 3 and 4) you can find the answer or the tool needed by just going back to the screen-casts, so there is no need to look for help on the internet. By the end of this Part II, you certainly are capable of creating real-live useful processes.

The assignments are very challenging

By Zhiqing L

May 06, 2018

I hope I can rate 100 stars to Dr. Charlie's VBA courses, but unfortunately there are only 5 stars here.

I used to be afraid of coding, but after taking Part 1 & 2, I became interested in VBA. I started to writing VBA codes to make my work easier. Two weeks ago I wrote a VBA code to calculate inventory after warehouse did inventory count. This shocked my supervisor, who is experienced in VBA, because I only learned VBA for 2 months.

Thank you Dr. Charlie for the great course and see you in part 3:)

By Rob B

Feb 20, 2019

This course teaches you the "magic" part of VBA that allows you to create custom userforms that clearly differentiate your excel project from other typical spreadsheets. The course also helps you work across multiple worksheets and workbooks. All of this is useful for consolidating and standardizing data entry. And the custom userforms will help you stand out among your peers. (I can't wait to see the looks on my co-workers faces when I debut some of these elements in our standard reports!)

By Markus K

Sep 03, 2019

Same statement as for Part 1; A really good course, taught by a very nice and competent instructor. I have learned many things that I can actually apply at work. VBA is very helpful in many situations - Excel is almost everywhere, The instructor introduces new concepts by demonstrating their application in small real world projects, in the weekly assignment you then have to apply those conepts in a different context. I found this a very motivating and effective approach

Jan 30, 2019

A fantastic course. I have significantly improved my VBA fluency after completing this course. I am now able to write simple to intermediate VBA applications without having to seek help online. The learning materials were clearly presented by Charlie, and the in-video questions were relevant and challenging. I would recommend this course to any VBA novice looking to gain a step-up in their use of Excel/VBA.

By Marija S

Feb 06, 2018

I found the course great for my level of VBA pre-knowledge. Learning by doing in coding is very important, and that is the reason why I appreciate that assignments were sometimes more challenging (at least for me). This course helped me to develop some business-related solutions in very short span of time. Support on assignments/quizzes/material was on very high level at all times.

By Nikola J

Apr 03, 2018

This course is great for leaning some very practical data cleaning, organizing and consolidating methods for a wide variety of applications. Not difficult if you've followed part 1 of the course (which I strongly recommend) and the instructor is very nice and responsive if you do happen to run into trouble or don't understand a concept. Fun and useful!

By Jason J

Jun 18, 2018

The instruction is fantastic because it is practical. It's 90% utility with 10% theory and courses 1 and 2 have been a great refresher on VBA/Excel while adding to my skill set. Again, thank you to Charlie for putting in the time with video editing - his attention to detail really helps to drive home learning comprehension. On to class 3!

By Danielle C

Nov 19, 2018

I learned a LOT from this course. There are some kinks here and there, but overall the course is very, very well done. Also, Professor Nuttelman is also working on improving the course as well, which is very impressive. He does a great job of responding to questions that go beyond the scope of what can be answered in the forum., too.

By Maxim V

Apr 13, 2020

This course builds upon fundamentals learned in Part 1 and provides even more advanced VBA knowledge. Assignments, especially Assignment 3, are pretty challenging, which ensures that you will need to study in order to pass the course. I definitely recommend everyone interested in mastering VBA to continue developing skills with Part 2!

By TAOUMI H

Sep 21, 2019

I just finished with the second part of the course Excel/VBA for creative problem solving. it was a nice and challenging course. I feel that I took the basics of programming in VBA thanks to this course.

Thank you so much Pr. Charlie for your explanation and for making this course as challenging and beneficial.

By Martin R

Apr 03, 2020

Very well explained courses, made for young workers as me who need to deal with datas in various Excel workbooks (results of testing, outputs of a software, etc.).

Easy to understand and follow for a non-native English speaker. The assignments are guided if the student is stuggling with one assignment.

By Murtuza B

Dear Sir,

The way you have designed the course was really great! I have enjoyed every lecture and exercise.

Your efforts are highly appreciated. I did this course using scholarship but I will make sure that in future I will return back your efforts. Right now my condition is not that good, financially.

By Moreno C

Apr 27, 2019

Another excellent course. As expected, part 2 was more demanding than part 1.

The assignments were challenging but feasible.

To gain the most from the course, I would recommend to work along with the instructor during the lectures in order to develop your own macros for future reference.

By Albert L

Jan 26, 2020

Completed this course in parallel with the 1st part. The content and the structure of both courses are amazing, and I can already feel the benefit at my workplace: the knowledge has allowed me to optimize some menial tasks which I previously used to avoid. Looking forward to Part 3!

By Elsayed A E

Mar 19, 2020

it is very important course but there are only two comments,first of all , i wished to see some information even a quick review for VBA class.second of i have met some problems related to course work ,i sent it in discussion forum but i have not received any information until now

By Katherine C

May 06, 2020

This course is an excellent follow-on to Part I of this course. Part I covers the basics and really sets the foundation for the more complicated pieces of Part II. This course offers a wider range of skills that can be employed in a professional or academic setting.

By Dakshan R

May 12, 2020

However, the content is extremely useful for my work-related spreadsheets. I look forward to using these new skills to create very professional/advanced spreadsheets. Course could be a little more challenging! Thanks Dr. Nuttelman! Congrats on an excellent course

By Kunal K K

Apr 27, 2020

Yet again a very well-designed Part 2 of the course. It has provided the perfect balance between picking up new concepts and reinforcing the ones learned in Part 1. Thoroughly enjoyed taking all the quizzes and assignments. Thanks a lot Prof. Charlie!

By Yannick N K N

Feb 16, 2020

Excellent course, I decided to continue after I concluded Part I. Part II made me really love MS Excel. Would be better if there was some pdf files for learners support, but nevertheless the course quality and the teacher exceeded my expectations.