Back to Giving Helpful Feedback

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Giving Helpful Feedback by University of Colorado Boulder

This course teaches you the simple principles expert managers use to improve and motivate employee performance. You’ll never have to avoid telling an employee “the truth” again, because the seven techniques we teach will not make employees defensive or afraid. As a manager, or someone who would like to be a manager, you’ll also learn specifically what feedback is, how negative feedback is weighed more heavily than positive, and how positive feedback can super-charge behaviors such as creativity and teamwork. Giving feedback is a skill which develops over time. We give you a process you can use to improve your feedback skills and deliver it with confidence. You will find that there is a scientific basis for many of your observations and intuitions about feedback—such as, it is hard to give correctly, people don’t like it, and more. This will be reassuring as you learn how to overcome these difficulties. We hope you have a fantastic time becoming a better manager!...

DS

Sep 07, 2017

Great Course. I love the way it is designed, delivered. I learned a lot. The most imporatnt part is that I enjoy every bit of the session and completed everything less than a week. :)

DK

Jul 11, 2020

Truly an eye opener. Giving correct feedback is important not only to change behavior but also improve productivity and maintain a warm environment in the workplace. Excellent Course

1 - 25 of 182 Reviews for Giving Helpful Feedback

By Kasia M

Feb 05, 2016

This is the BEST online course I've taken on Coursera - or any other online platform for that matter. I appreciate the care taken to script each lesson and I also like the animation that kept me engaged. There's nothing worse than listening to an instructor who's not even prepared and is "just sitting there" in front of a camera.

I also liked the final PDF documents. I plan on applying what I learned from this course at work.

By Bruno C

Dec 03, 2016

Excellent course. I started it being a bit skeptical, just with the intention to go quickly through some video scripts. but I changed my mind. There is so much to learn here

By Tran T M L

Jun 13, 2020

there are so much use cases that i can apply in my life. thanks so much for giving the psychology know how into the lecture to help us in understanding the root course

By Farid A K

Dec 12, 2016

A must take for any person wanting to be Task Team Leader or Manager. :)

By Oliver O

May 03, 2019

This course is great for me for two reasons: Its has a powerful 'why' for effective feedback process and a very convincing and practical 'how' of giving feedback - It has left me with practical execises to practise the skill and sharpen my acumen

By Dawn R

Mar 28, 2019

Giving Helpful Feedback takes a very practical approach to giving feedback . The content and delivery style were easy to follow. the suggestions can be applied in a number of situations that where you challenged with providing feedback.

By Debasis S

Sep 07, 2017

By Osypchuk A

Apr 01, 2020

I enjoyed the course. It was logical well-structured and well researched. I also feel that it increased my competences in giving positive and negative feedback.

By Sofia S

Mar 31, 2018

This is an excellent course especially for professionals, but can also be applied in everyday life situations. The instructor is great, explains the material clearly, with plenty of examples and practice. The 7 step method she introduces seems simple and highly effective, plus a lot of additional resources are provided to help students achieve a long term change in how they perceive and give feedback. If i had to point out a single drawback, it is that the instructor mostly looks at the script and not the camera, whereas "eye contact" is plays a role in my opinion in establishing a connection with the viewers/ students.

Overall, i consider this a great course, with a great instructor and i would recommend it to anyone!

By Matthew H

Jun 09, 2019

This course is presented in a very clear and easy to digest format. Tracy explains quite complex concepts in plain english and with excellent examples. It is directed more at the business community, but the principles can be directed toward any speciality. I did this course as I wish to improve the feedback given to medical and surgical trainees. It has given me a whole new perspective on feedback, and I will be passing on what I have learned to my colleagues. This will be of significant benefit to the development of the trainees coming through.

By Farooq A R

Jul 11, 2020

I am a professional with around 20 years of experience working in a developing country. I am a published researcher and speaker at international conferences. I will admit openly that I was never formally trained in the art of giving effective feedback and this course has helped me a lot. I know the difference between negative and positive feedback and the important 7 components of giving effective feedback. The speaker is knowledgable and explains all the steps very well. Slides and videos are also very helpful and the quizzes aid in retaining the important concepts. A highly recommended 5 start course for professionals and parents

By Tchela P C D S

May 03, 2016

É um curso rápido e achei muito benéfico para quem quer algumas dicas de como ser mais eficiente no acto de dar feedback. Faz-nos reavaliar a nossa capacidade de dar feedback e também pensar no poder que as palavras têm na pessoa que vai receber o feedback.

O curso lista 7 pontos que devemos ter em mente para tornar o processo de dar feedback mais profissional e eficiente, e aumentar as chances do feedback ser bem recebido e motivar a pessoa que recebe a melhorar o seu comportamento/performance.

By Michael H

Mar 14, 2020

Great short course! I was able to easily fit all the mini-lectures into my busy schedule by watching them while on public transit to work and uni allowing me to make greater use of my time! The courses are so informative and delivered in a way that is engaging, memorable, clear and concise. The course was short but I was able to learn something and apply my new skills into practice at my workplace! Thank you Tracy Jennings for a great course!

By Jaya

Jun 29, 2020

first of all, I thank the trainer for being very clear and simple on this complicated topic. I really got benefitted with this course. i am a teacher and I come acorss several occasions when i am bound to give feedback. In some cases I was really disingenuous. i have understood psychological reasons for both postitive nad negative feedback, where and how to use them. thank you courera team for arranging wonderful courses.

By Mia S

Jun 12, 2018

What I liked most about the course is that there was a mixture of business and cognitive psychology. Due to this, I was able to understand better not just how to provide good feedback, but also to understand why people respond to feedback the way they do. I believe this is one of the most important things - to know how the person on the receiving end of the feedback perceives us.

By Saurabh M

Jul 15, 2020

A well structured course, and if I may add, should be made mandatory for all the people managers. If employees are expected to deliver work which meets a certain standard then employee-managers should also be expected to be qualified enough to evaluate the employee and help nurture their career. Thank you Ms. Tracy Jennings and Coursera Team for putting this course together.

By Venus Y

May 10, 2018

Very helpful and specific knowledge for feedback. I realize how important the feedback is, and why and how I can giving feedback in a professional way. Many useful skills and tools learned, many good resource sharing. Good design with the class structure, all the videos and articles are simple to understand and self-learning. Super good course!

By HILARY H

Aug 13, 2020

The course was indeed helpful and informative in learning a helpful feedback. A lot of key words that i learn so much from this course such as actor bias trait, Pareto effect and introduction seven feedback skills are useful in developing my personal development. Thank you Tracy Jenning for conducting this course.

By Alina M

Jul 06, 2020

I have truly enjoyed the course, the way it has been delivered and divided into categories. I found the evaluation method of the NOT questions quite misleading and unnecessary. I am confident that with practice my skills of giving feedback will improve now that I have the tools and knowledge to do so. Thank you

By Binod S

Sep 04, 2018

I wished I could have completed this course before a feedback session with our team member, but anyway I have learned an important aspect of giving Feedback and the importance of feedback, whether it is positive and negative to each individual and at the right time.

By VINESH P

Apr 20, 2020

An insightful course which is going to highly useful in several places and also helps in one's self development. The Instructor Tracy Jennings have presented multiple examples which will help in the practical application of what is learnt throughout this course.

By stephanebg

Feb 26, 2016

Everyone, I mean everyone, should take this course. It is easy to follow while full of tools and understanding. It brings not only the recipes but also the background behind helpful feedback. It changes relationships altogether and for the better.

By Jael T

Jun 30, 2017

Great weekend course. I watched all the videos and did all the quizzes in two days. Lots of great material to chew on, and the course was very well laid out and visually interesting. Lots of examples and "stories" to help explain the concepts.

By Diane H

Dec 21, 2016

This course has been my favorite so far. It has really helped me be a better manager to my people. It has hMy employees have even noticed the difference in the feedback they have received vs other management in my company. Thank you!

By Aditi K

Oct 17, 2016

Extremely helpful. The video-based sessions were full of examples that made the learning simple yet effective. The examples are going to be of great help in preparing the training presentation for managers. Thank you once again.