Back to Feminism and Social Justice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Feminism and Social Justice by University of California, Santa Cruz

"Feminism and Social Justice" is an adaptation of Distinguished Professor Bettina Aptheker's long-running course at UC Santa Cruz. In the course, Professor Aptheker presents a broad definition of feminism that serves to frame three significant events in the history of feminism and social justice: the Empire Zinc strike of 1951, the 1971-1972 trial of Angela Davis, and the #metoo Movement....

IS

Feb 12, 2020

This course was very impactful, I now understand the history of rape as a crime, the attitudes that have diminished and undermine women's rights. I am hoping that we will get things right as a people

Jun 23, 2020

Everyone should take up this course because this course has a structured curriculum for feminism. The idea of feminism is something we have learnt from media, one will come to know about the meaning.

1 - 25 of 852 Reviews for Feminism and Social Justice

By Maria C F

Apr 17, 2020

I have never though I could find such a complete and professional course on the foundations of feminism. If I had known it could exist, I would have looked for it everywhere. I discovered it by chance on a feminist page on a social network and, exactly the day after that, the University that I attend gave its students the possibility to join courses on Coursera, thus to attend this course. Professor Aptheker has a wonderful way to talk about historical events, as if she were narrating stories; her knowledge and passion intertwine in a magical way, making her one of "my" favourite professors of all my studies. I wish there was a second part of this course! Having a solid base of knowledge on feminism is of the outmost importance for me, both on a personal and on an inter-relational plan. The objective facts reported with clarity by Professor Aptheker are enriched by her personal experiences and involvment in some of the events described through the course. I am extremely happy of having followed this course and I wish it lasted more. I am very grateful to Professor Aptheker!

By Ahmad A

May 04, 2019

It's a useful course, But it is too historical and narrative instead of Focus on concepts

By Nicole M P

Apr 24, 2020

Professor Aptheker offers so much more than a class on Feminism and Social Justice - she offers firsthand accounts of many of the events the class goes over. She is incredibly knowledgeable and experienced. She is also rather lighthearted and comical at times. Her firsthand experiences lead each student into the background that's not just found in text or videos, but from her perspective and an inside look into what was going on behind the scene and during those months/years. I would happily take another course from Prof. Aptheker.

By Tara M

Jun 30, 2019

I greatly enjoyed this course. It was very engaging and I found Bettina's teaching style warm and accessible. I was disappointed the course didn't run for longer as I so enjoyed learning about the origins of feminism and key historical events that have shaped our position in the world today.

By Richa A

Jun 22, 2019

Beautiful course. A sensitive topic very lucidly compiled. Hope that such a course is available in the Indian context too.

By Vitályos R

Mar 21, 2020

It was a very structured and informative course! I enjoyed it very much. I wish there were more lecures though. She could've discussed the different waves of feminism and maybe reflect a bit on the issues and history of feminism in other countries and continent. It was very US-centered. Altough I could follow most of her thoughts, you probably need a deeper knowlegde on general US history to fully understand all her references and statements. All in all, I am very glad to have been able to take this course!

By Elena D

Jun 23, 2019

Inspiring, informative, enthusiastic, fantastic!

By Holly P

May 12, 2020

Wow. I really adored this course. Professor Aptheker managed to explain a diverse, and sometimes complicated topic in clear detail. I learnt so much from this course. I am sad to say I had not heard of any of the women mentioned in this course before, i.e Anita Hill, Angela Davis, anything about the Salt of the Earth strike... this is very disappointing and perhaps shows that education, too, needs to change in order to make people aware of women fighting oppression. I identified as a feminist before this course, but only recently. I feel that even the word 'feminist' has become 'dirty' in society- men make jokes about feminists all the time and have successfuly made many people feel ashamed to be apart of the movemet, i.e the stereotype that all feminists are crazy and dramatic (funnily enough, as Professor Aptheker mentioned, these are words commonly associated with women...especially when passionate or angry about something). I think it is disgusting that many girls will grow up thinking the same, forced to believe that such a beautiful movement is crazy. It is not. It is sane, and warranted, especially now with #MeToo. I now wear my feminist badge with more pride than ever before. We all should be feminists. Thank you Professor Aptheker. Please take this course.

By Sakshi S

Jun 23, 2020

By Inusa F S

Feb 12, 2020

By Sajia A

Jul 22, 2020

Love this Course. Professor Bettina Aptheker is really a good teacher and a great person herself. She uses real experiences to teach us which is really remarkable and helps to engage with the topic.

By Gauri V

Mar 29, 2020

Thank you for offering this course, it is way more than an introductory course, as well as the option of discussions proved to be highly beneficial. Ms.Bettina Aptheker is an excellent lecturer.

By Lisa S

May 04, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, it gives a short overview of feminism in the United States. It is a shame that it is so focused on the US and it only views feminism and Social Justice in light of US history. I would have liked to see more events covered in this course, like the suffragette movement. It would have also been interesting to link feminism to the LGBT movement, just like it was linked to class and racial struggle.

By PRERNA R

Apr 17, 2020

I thank Prof Bettina Aptheker for taking us through the journey of various movements that took place in America and learning the events from a person who was actually a part of a few of them. This course gave me insights of the discrimination faced by women specially the Black and the inequality faced by women in general. Thanks to all those who brought a change so that we are able to live a dignified life today. This course has been a change maker for me as it makes me take my freedom not so lightly and respect my dignity.

By Giulia S C

Apr 27, 2020

incredible course to think about feminism and social justice history in the USA. we are becoming more powerful and the world will change with us. More we - women- know more power we have.

I hope that more and more classes and other people will join the movement. Feminism is about women, equality, sustainable development, racism. the more feminism, the better the world will become

By Gloria O

Jun 05, 2019

This was an enlightening course! I had a limited understanding on the issues around feminism and social justice and I got listen to perspectives from many angles. And the Professor Bettina is great.

By Esther A

Jun 24, 2019

I have found the course of great help, giving me a whole thorough look at the social justice movement and feminism.

By Tanya L

Jul 14, 2019

This course gives me a better understanding of what ferminism is.

By Almira A

Jun 09, 2020

The lectures were amazing and insightful. But I was hope that this course full of discussion and forming own opinion/definition. In my humblest opinion, I wasn't satisfied with the quiz system. Rather than highlighting the system of feminism and social justice or analyzing events on particular subject, the quiz is more of asking students of minor detail of the event, not discussing the big picture of the problem. Yes there is discussion after lecture, but it is optional and not graded. This course will be much better if it replace the quizzes to the discussion for grading system. Or reevaluate the quizzes into more in-depth questions.

By Barbra A

May 02, 2020

First and foremost, I would recommend all women with a lack or little understanding on feminism or female social justice that have an interest in the area to enroll for this short course.

I am very privileged to have been a part of the Feminism and social justice journey. I have appreciated and learnt that we as women, we should at all times uplift each other to promote social justice without discrimination.

Also, I have learnt that Rape is an offence that no woman should keep silent on because it is unjust and against your human rights, because one has not consented to this kind of violence.

When women take part in events, it only makes progress easy as it is more facilitated rather than only men enforcement.

Lastly, I encourage all women to focus on bettering themselves for themselves and not to solely rely on men for progress, happiness among others because only doing this makes you vulnerable to male oppression and criticism.

By Silvia A D P

Jul 21, 2020

I really loved this course. I learned a lot throughout the course, it became too short for how much I liked it, now all that remains is to continue reading, inform myself and continue learning about feminism and social justice. The topics discussed were not boring at all and I can only thank deeply for all that new knowledge and awareness that I acquired. I can say with complete honesty that this course allowed me to clarify some of my ideas about feminism and offered me a totally new vision on topics that I had not considered much either because of my privileged situation or because they have never happened to me. I just hope to put this new knowledge into practice and try to put the seed of questioning our behavior in the people around me.

By ANDREA M

Oct 05, 2020

Me gusto mucho el curso, aunque no me consideré una feminista, aprender acerca del papel de la mujer en la historia era algo necesario que tenía que investigar. Yo siempre he dicho que hay que pensar por un momento y dar las gracias por todos los hombres y mujeres que hicieron posible que en el día de hoy las mujeres tengamos el derecho al voto, a la educación entre muchas otras cosas que antes no teníamos o eran limitadas. Eso no quiere decir que tenemos que conformarnos aún hay bastante camino por recorrer pero claro nunca olvidando nuestros ancestros y personajes de la historia que hicieron el cambio. Siento que tanto hombres y mujeres deberían tomar este curso, ya que es muy interesante y además, claro investigar de más cosas.

By Nupur B

Oct 01, 2020

It was a very informative and interesting course. I Really liked the way of teaching of the professor. She was well versed and a knowledgeable resource person. I have learnt the basics of feminism and understood the working definition of feminism even the purpose and importance of feminism in todays era.

Topics like Empire ZINC movement, Angela Davis' trial, arrest and prosecution were incredible.

#METOO Movement has helped me identifying the societal changes that have prevailed in our society and even in the whole world.

It has also helped me to analyze the effects of various feminism movements that have taken place until now.

Overall it was a great experience studying this course.👍

By Eliany A M D

Jul 06, 2020

Un buen curso que permite ampliar el entendimiento acerca de la interseccionalidad, la mujer, la raza, la etnia interrelacionadas, para la opresión y discriminación.

Considero que estos tipos de cursos deben extenderse, y además hablar sobre feminismo en los colegio, en la clase de historia, porque algo que he notado es que esta parte de la historia esta oculta, negada, y excluida de los curriculas e identidades del estudiantado. El mundo debe conocer los logros feministas, las niñas deben reconocer que su mundo es distinto, que puede gozar de ser niñas y mujeres libres, propias de su personas, gracias a estas luchas y reivindicaciones feministas a lo largo de la historia.

By soumya p

Apr 08, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and was able to finish it way before the stipulated time because of how much i could relate to the experiences shared throughout the course. The discussion forum was really informative as well as the question aimed to get a more wholesome understanding of how abuse operates in different parts of the world and reading through it really made me feel like women essentially have the same experiences throughout the world. Some of the cases studied during the course took place before I was even born and reading about them really helped me in broadening my understanding of how social movements and Feminism has evolved over centuries of struggle.