Back to Character Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Character Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course you will explore concepts and approaches involved in creating successful character designs that can be applied to video games. Following a first week delving into some foundational concepts for successful character design, each of the remaining three weeks are structured as a master class where you will observe three professional character designers at work in the studio: Andy Ristaino (Adventure Time), Jacky Ke Jiang (Journey), and Robertryan Cory (SpongeBob SquarePants). Each designer will take on two different design challenges on the fly and address the various issues in designing characters for games, such as movement, expression, and technical limitations. At the end of each week you will have an opportunity to try out some of the concepts from that week's lesson on characters of your own design. This is a fun and engaging class especially useful for students interested in animation in film and TV as well as games, and is suitable for students of any drawing ability....

JM

Dec 22, 2016

As I said earlier, I recommend this course for everyone; doctors included (:\n\nI like how this course was treated in a different way. We see people doing the job on there ground, that's interesting.

AM

Nov 06, 2017

Fun and challenging to me. Is not easy to me to create new characters, but with this practice and professional examples, I feel more confident to just do and see what happens. Thank you, very much.

1 - 25 of 153 Reviews for Character Design for Video Games

By Kylen A J K D

Dec 31, 2018

I love every course it pretty much show you what imagination an artist can have with each homework feeling like an adventure of creativity.

By Esteban P

Dec 30, 2018

I liked the course, thanks to this I got the interest in learning the basics of drawing since I had never before tried to draw ... "at least as an adult", so I take a long time to face my fears.

But, I think the videos are too long. More than 5 or 8 minutes is already very long and makes you lose attention because it is more to see how a cartoonist, illustrator or character creator works and sometimes expresses something vague in the absence of a specific theme or objective in the idea that wants to transmit.

By Sarah D

Feb 12, 2019

By Diana S I R V

Jul 19, 2018

I would like to thanks everyone who gave me the option of doing this course! I'm really grateful! <3

By Nuno F A C

Jul 19, 2018

very good course, even for people that are not designers. I'm a programmery myself and anjoyed it pretty much

By Breanne C

Sep 07, 2018

Another fantastic course by Fran! He really shines as an instructor in this one, and makes the experience very enjoyable. I suspect he produced this Character Design course after the Game Design one, as all my complaints regarding the latter have been addressed here. I'd really love it if he went back and polished the Game Design one so that it would be on par with this. :)

By Marvin A

Apr 11, 2016

Excelente Curso.

Recomendado al 100% !!!

By Ștefan B

Aug 08, 2017

Exceptional course, it's the very best approach.

This skill, character design, is " stolen " rather than learned.

By Alex M

Feb 15, 2017

Very interesting way to learn by observing the approach of different artists.

By Peggy C

Aug 16, 2016

Great course, fun projects - inspiring and informative.

By Carlos B J

Jan 17, 2016

Excellent! Sorry, I didn't do any assignments, but I really enjoy the course. The words of Robertryan Cory were brilliant! Cheers.

By 刘树宇

May 22, 2016

I've known a lot of new things and they make me become a better designer and think more about what is a good design.

By Kelly

Feb 26, 2016

This was a great course! It was cool to see the perspectives of different artists. I only wish there had been more of them, with more different styles (What about someone who is more realistic? What about someone who is super stylized in a different way?) Really delightful to have the opportunity to hear their perspective on things and have them describe how they think about what they're doing and to see their different processes.

By Смирнова А Д

Dec 05, 2016

Very intresting! I enjoyed doing homework! Серьезно. Это один из лучших курсов.

By J W

Dec 12, 2016

It was a fun and artistic. I learned alot from it

By Theodore K

Oct 09, 2016

This course is exceptional! it really helped me improve my designs and was super fun to participate in!

By Yuki T

Aug 28, 2017

I liked this course and I really enjoyed the assignments which were creative and exiting. Despite the fact that course is quite simple, for the beginners I had a lot of pleasure out of it!

By Daniel D

Jul 20, 2016

I love this new course!! Thank you for the opportunity of the know how it works and for learn something new.

By 万锦阳

Jun 17, 2017

It's really good to learn from professional artists.

Though I think the homework in week 4 did not describe its requirements clearly so that many students including me felt very confused.

By Luis E

Jan 14, 2018

I loved it, the teachers and their experience is just gold.

By Umair R

Aug 08, 2016

The Course Was Awesome

By Rebecca W F

Feb 04, 2016

Not only did I learn more than I ever thought I would, but I had fun, as well! In fact, I liked this course so much that I've enrolled in another course offered within the same specialization.

By Iryna M

Mar 18, 2016

The best course that I have passed!

By Wallace N O

Jan 16, 2016

One of the best courses I've ever taken on-line. Good explanations and artist's examples, and the assignments were awesome. Thanks!

By Barnabás N

Mar 03, 2016

Really fun course. The different artists have pretty interesting tricks and tips, which can significantly improve your character design skills.