Back to Character Design for Video Games

Character Design for Video Games, California Institute of the Arts

About this Course

In this course you will explore concepts and approaches involved in creating successful character designs that can be applied to video games. Following a first week delving into some foundational concepts for successful character design, each of the remaining three weeks are structured as a master class where you will observe three professional character designers at work in the studio: Andy Ristaino (Adventure Time), Jacky Ke Jiang (Journey), and Robertryan Cory (SpongeBob SquarePants). Each designer will take on two different design challenges on the fly and address the various issues in designing characters for games, such as movement, expression, and technical limitations. At the end of each week you will have an opportunity to try out some of the concepts from that week's lesson on characters of your own design. This is a fun and engaging class especially useful for students interested in animation in film and TV as well as games, and is suitable for students of any drawing ability....

By JM

Dec 22, 2016

As I said earlier, I recommend this course for everyone; doctors included (:\n\nI like how this course was treated in a different way. We see people doing the job on there ground, that's interesting.

By JB

Aug 05, 2016

Good course, especially since you have the option to take it for free. Nice assignments that gets you to think outside the box or challenge. Recommend it if you wanna keep yourself busy and learn.

144 Reviews

By Esteban Perez

Dec 09, 2018

I liked the course, thanks to this I got the interest in learning the basics of drawing since I had never before tried to draw ... "at least as an adult", so I take a long time to face my fears.

By Ruaan Grobler

Nov 30, 2018

Incredibly rudimentary

By Ramon Mendoza L

Nov 29, 2018

I like the course but missing some basics of character design. As body shapes drawing, personalities, i wanted some basics on how to draw and approach to designing characters.

By Julian Arroyave

Nov 26, 2018

There's effort placed in this course.

By Cassandra Wong

Oct 04, 2018

I thought these class could have been elevated with the professor actually teaching. I enjoyed the the animators thought process walk-through, but I didn't think that was sufficient as an actual course.

By Breanne Carlson

Sep 07, 2018

Another fantastic course by Fran! He really shines as an instructor in this one, and makes the experience very enjoyable. I suspect he produced this Character Design course after the Game Design one, as all my complaints regarding the latter have been addressed here. I'd really love it if he went back and polished the Game Design one so that it would be on par with this. :)

By brittany abrams

Aug 31, 2018

There was an extensive flow of activities and assignments that really helped spark the creative process and essentials to brainstorming effective, eye catching characters. Each week I learned how to develop certain areas of the character's traits or story. I loved the community and the peer guidance. It was truly a place where criticism was welcomed, and ideas were shared, and displayed thoughtfully. If I could take this class again, I would. I absolutely enjoyed every minute!

By Joseph Fiore

Aug 12, 2018

I wish this class had more actual lessons on character design concepts and philosophies rather than the demonstrations it used.

By Zheng Lixing

Jul 23, 2018

lectures are knowledgable, homework are interesting

By Diana Sofia Isabel Romero Vildoso

Jul 19, 2018

I would like to thanks everyone who gave me the option of doing this course! I'm really grateful! <3