Back to Gamification

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gamification by University of Pennsylvania

Gamification is the application of game elements and digital game design techniques to non-game problems, such as business and social impact challenges. This course will teach you the mechanisms of gamification, why it has such tremendous potential, and how to use it effectively. For additional information on the concepts described in the course, you can purchase Professor Werbach's book For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business in print or ebook format in several languages....

FL

May 23, 2019

Excellent course! I found it very useful. It really builds a super strong foundation to think about this User Motivation and UX. The word Gamification is something that some people like and some hate.

BM

Jun 17, 2017

Very structured and interesting class about gamification. Kevin is a very engaging teacher and this course was perfect introduction to gamification. I highly recommend the course. Thank you very much!

1 - 25 of 565 Reviews for Gamification

By Evgeny T

Feb 24, 2019

Good course for starters. But i think it's need to an updated version, due to it's launch date - 2012, there is a lot things happens into gamification subject.

By Víctor M R

Feb 14, 2019

The course itself is not bad, if you do not have previous knowledge in gamification. It's a good introduction that covers a few important aspects of this relatively new discipline. But you can feel many times that many of the lessons are already out of date (just take a look at the examples the teacher provides) and the situation of the market the teacher describes is gone. There are new issues and new challenges. Another important flaw, from my point of view is that he doesn't delve into the analysis of the examples, which would be much more practical, useful and interesting than trying to cover the course with this kind of pseudo-academic patina.

By Anshuman G

Jul 02, 2017

It was an interesting learning session - it gave me a more structured approach to gamification concepts which I can further use in Human Computer Interaction / User Centered Design approach in UX.

By Maryna A

Jul 21, 2019

One of the best courses I've ever had online. The topic of gamification is still new, so this course was the first and the only place where I could find all the necessary information. Every lecture contains a lot of data, so my strong advice is to follow carefully and make notes - you will definitely want ot get back to them. You will find articles, videos and books, advised by professor, if you want to dive deeper into the topic. This was also valuable to me, because there are a lot of books on game design, but you never know which ones are worth reading.

I work at the educational market, and I have already started implementing the principles of the course at my own course programs. I feel this is what I was looking for to make a boost for my business.

By Elvis R C M

Jul 19, 2019

Excellent course. It has helped me a lot to know and implement Gamification in my professional scope. I definitely recommend it.

By Shtorm K A

Jul 17, 2019

Challenging, soft, agile and still really difficult course. Which gave me so much theory and gamification understanding

By Domenico C

Jul 15, 2019

Information and topics are laid out very clearly from the very start.

Sources are solid, interviews are very rich and insightful. Models are very useful and I was even able to apply them right after completing the course.

High-spirited teacher. It was a joy to see his enthusiasm for adding Gamification examples in the course background throughout the whole course. As well as him showing off his World of Warcraft gear and affinity. That was almost heartwarming to see.

Overall, a very well-rounded and useful course.

By Drew H

Jul 08, 2019

Very enjoyable, excellent professor.

By Erez M

Jul 04, 2019

At last a course that get provide interesting twist to way companies think. I'm taking this course to understand how I can enhance our agile implementation in the organization.

By Igor d V C R

Jun 03, 2019

Curso ótimo! Abriu meus horizontes para novas áreas e aptidões. Recomendo muito!

By Connor L

May 29, 2019

Enjoy your $95 pay-wall at the end (*before* the end, I mean) of the section 1 quiz. The material so far was hardly insightful, and they want learners to pay for $95 of value they can't even see after only getting through mayyyybe $3 worth of value. The first two sections re-hash the same points over and over "What is gamification? What is gamification not? for 30+ minutes and then section 2: "What is gamification? What is gamification not?" The course was, from the looks of it, filmed in 2008 and not update one bit since then, and therefore has a ton of outdated information, statistics, etc. They're always talking about things being "new and emerging" when, by now, they're from a prior decade. Gag me with a spoon. Why would I or anyone else pay $95 just to see the rest of this course when the first section or two of it is utterly incompetent except for referencing a few factoids about the concept of a game from ancient philosophers which anyone could Google to grasp the same concept of. Definitely insulted that this course is asking twice the price of game design courses and music production courses I've taken on Coursera for not even a third of the quality of content. I'd pay $25 tops for this course if the rest of it is anything like the pre-paywall portion of it. And that's the problem: how could I know? I can't see beyond the first quiz. I'll just have to assume it's all trash and move in and lament the time I wasted being led to a surprise pay-wall. Coursera, this has severely tarnished my impression of your platform. Do not let this course continue to exist in the ways I've described here any longer.

By Renata M S

May 27, 2019

Excelente curso introductorio para este mundo de "Gamification" que tanto futuro tiene. Lo recomiendo, fue una muy buena experiencia.

By Fabrice L

By Luis H C V

May 23, 2019

Me encantó el curso, muy completo, con bastante información y muy detallado. Las actividades fueron pertinentes para aplicar lo aprendido.

By ERHART V

May 20, 2019

Excellent cours.

By Daniel

May 19, 2019

The course uses traditional methods of reports and lecture, making the course not as innovative as it should. Gamification should be more involved in its approach and showing more in-depth tools for the users to apply the gamification tools that is so widely used.

By Laura S

May 18, 2019

The instructor is obviously very knowledgeable in the area of gamification. The experts he had in the course really added to the content. I was hesitant taking this course because I wasn't sure if I would learn anything important or useful, but I definitely feel that I have learned. I downloaded many materials from this course and hope to review everything again at a later date. The material was excellent, the framework and psychology behind gamification makes sense and is very useful to know.

By Maxim M

May 10, 2019

Challenging enough and fun. Ok, to be more thorough: Gamification is not easy as you might think. It involves Sociology, Psychology, Strategy, Creativity, and much more. I like the organization of this course a lot. The great amount of information and opens a lot more ideas to keep learning this subject. Take it!

By Hugo C

May 03, 2019

Um curso excelente! Aplicado de maneira maestral pelo professor.

Não pensei que é fácil assimilar os conceitos envolvidos, pois são muitos, do mesmo modo que é um verdadeiro desafio aplica-los à prática.Mas é possível e muito divertido tudo isso,

By Amaury B

May 02, 2019

Very exhaustive. Go deeply into the concept description and includes a part of behavior analysis etc.

By Alessandro M

Apr 16, 2019

I am really satisfied with this course. It is thorough, well structured and gradually leads you to acquire the skills, structures and design techniques necessary to proceed independently. In particular it provides many frameworks to guide the designer in the various phases of gamification analysis. The interviews and countless examples of case studies are very useful. Professor Werbach speaks very clear English for non-native speakers. The subtitles are complete even if the Italian translation is not always correct. The grades' assignments are well set up and the performance is well guided.

Thank you very much Professor Werbach! Good job!

By Rajeev K

Apr 10, 2019

Fantastic course with comprehensive coverage of the gamification concept. The key point was about linkages with behavior change theories and possible pitfalls if Game elements are applied without due consideration for the end goal. Game design framework covered E2E steps in most logical fashion.

By Jimmy T

Apr 09, 2019

Gained useful insights to deploy gamification in

By Samuel D

Mar 27, 2019

Give new perspective for business

By Агаркова П А

Mar 25, 2019

I liked the course, but sometimes video lectures seem outdated as they were shooted in 2011.