Back to Gamification

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gamification by University of Pennsylvania

Gamification is the application of game elements and digital game design techniques to non-game problems, such as business and social impact challenges. This course will teach you the mechanisms of gamification, why it has such tremendous potential, and how to use it effectively. For additional information on the concepts described in the course, you can purchase Professor Werbach's book For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business in print or ebook format in several languages....

FL

May 23, 2019

Excellent course! I found it very useful. It really builds a super strong foundation to think about this User Motivation and UX. The word Gamification is something that some people like and some hate.

BM

Jun 17, 2017

Very structured and interesting class about gamification. Kevin is a very engaging teacher and this course was perfect introduction to gamification. I highly recommend the course. Thank you very much!

576 - 588 of 588 Reviews for Gamification

By Elvin G

Dec 15, 2015

so-so pnly

By iHappy

Nov 05, 2018

Lost interest halfway trough the Week One.

This course is a bit too long and it doesn't get to the point right away. I mean, I came here because I wanted to learn the basis and actually apply it to my life. I am not interested in listening to all the history about gamfication... it's not like I will ever need that in my life, and it won't help me at applying this to my life.

Tried skimming trough the rest of the course but I have found more of the same.

Honestly, it was fun at the begging but than you went overboard with all the unnecessary talks about the stuff that's useless.

So, for anyone reading this, if you are look for in depth description of Gamfication, this course is for you. On the other hand, if you are interested in only the basics, save yourself some time and just googl "Gamification", you will find many useful articles which might help you to get started.

By Clemens W

Aug 17, 2016

Progressing a bit slow at times, and too often stating the obvious.

Positives: Good frameworks though, and plenty of examples.

By Janet B

May 26, 2017

1) Transcripts are not accurate and do not meet ADA standards. There are LOTS of spelling errors, such as"GEMIFICATION" or "GAMEIFICATION" and not even close on Theory names or multiple personal and business names. Without accuracy, it is impossible to find key terms in the transcripts for a quick review or to study content in more details - at my own pace.

2) Seems odd that a course on gamification does not use some of those principles.

3) Course seems a bit dated - with several references to things popular 5 -8 years ago - and lacks recently revised references to newer content. More history than the cutting edge of current trends.

4) Ok as an introductory course but its description does not clearly indicate it as such.

5) Lynda.com has a better (and sorter) overview of Gamification for Learning (with Karl Kapp) which is more specific to what I truly need to know.

By Henrique R d A

Jan 06, 2016

Good content but a bad course. It doesn't have clear rules and is not consistent. I recommend

enrolling to have access to the videos and the references, but don't face it as a serious course.

By Linda J D

Apr 09, 2017

The material is extremely out of date.

By Marcos P

Sep 21, 2019

For being a course on Gamification, I found this course to be quite boring. The professor has read and written some things about gamification, but he doesn't seem to have any practical experience designing successful games or gamified systems. As a result, much of the advice and knowledge in this course is very basic, something anyone who's spent an hour or so thinking about what makes the games they like great would already know. If you want to learn more about gamification, I'd recommend playing great games or reading articles from actual game designers. You'll learn much more from inference than the direct but very basic teachings in this course. Or, you can also audit this course and skim through the lessons at 2x speed only to pause when you find something that interests you. Other than that, this course isn't worth your money.

By Dotan F

Jan 08, 2016

Could not go beyond the 3rd lecture.

I have been taking some courses on Coursera lately, so I have some references, and this one is somewhat problematic.

After about 30 min. I felt it is not going anywhere.

If that 30 min. was suppose to be an introduction -it is a bit long.

By Martin C

Feb 13, 2017

Assignments have been thought as open questions in a multiple choice formats.

By Susan M

Jun 23, 2016

boring

By Eduardo P

Nov 21, 2015

to much theoric, i was expecting for something more technical. With more examples, infographic, maybe tools and design schemas showing how how to implement gamification, I saw another gamification courses that was much better than this.

By Thomas B

Jun 29, 2016

Very little that you can actually bring to the proces of using gamification in your studies or work. Each video is trying to sell you either the professors own book, or the course. The tests too are very low-skilled. The worst course i have ever taken on coursera. I dont want to pay for it, even i have completed the entire course and all the test questions. It's a waste of bot time and money.

By Connor L

May 29, 2019

Enjoy your $95 pay-wall at the end (*before* the end, I mean) of the section 1 quiz. The material so far was hardly insightful, and they want learners to pay for $95 of value they can't even see after only getting through mayyyybe $3 worth of value. The first two sections re-hash the same points over and over "What is gamification? What is gamification not? for 30+ minutes and then section 2: "What is gamification? What is gamification not?" The course was, from the looks of it, filmed in 2008 and not update one bit since then, and therefore has a ton of outdated information, statistics, etc. They're always talking about things being "new and emerging" when, by now, they're from a prior decade. Gag me with a spoon. Why would I or anyone else pay $95 just to see the rest of this course when the first section or two of it is utterly incompetent except for referencing a few factoids about the concept of a game from ancient philosophers which anyone could Google to grasp the same concept of. Definitely insulted that this course is asking twice the price of game design courses and music production courses I've taken on Coursera for not even a third of the quality of content. I'd pay $25 tops for this course if the rest of it is anything like the pre-paywall portion of it. And that's the problem: how could I know? I can't see beyond the first quiz. I'll just have to assume it's all trash and move in and lament the time I wasted being led to a surprise pay-wall. Coursera, this has severely tarnished my impression of your platform. Do not let this course continue to exist in the ways I've described here any longer.