Back to Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.2

Introduces to the commands that you need to manage and analyze directories, files, and large sets of genomic data. This is the fourth course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

JJ

Jun 23, 2018

Thank you very much Dr./Professor, Liliana Florea. I've learned a lot. It's a very good opportunity to improve my knowledge. This means a lot to me.

GV

Mar 14, 2016

Very informative course. Because I am new to this, it was at times confusing. But overall, great teaching and great experience. Thank you.

1 - 25 of 82 Reviews for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

By Paul S

Aug 29, 2018

The instructor clearly knew her material. She tried to present it systematically with enough information to give students the ability to perform the programming tasks. There were, however, a number of areas where there is substantial room for improvement.

1. The slides were underutilized. Listing a command name is not enough information to use it. For the most part this was adequately done in the lectures, but having details on critical implementation formats in slides would have been a helpful visual.

2. The class was all about using command line instructions. When the command line was shown on screen it was hard to read and frequently covered over by the video controls. Moving it up and making it large enough to read would be very helpful.

3. Although some details of the output file structure were presented a lot was left for the student to dig out of other sources. If you don't know what to look for this makes things very difficult.

4. The class is about using genomic analysis programs but the instructor did not provide information about where to download the appropriate files from.

By Jaydeep S

Apr 30, 2018

This is a very poorly designed and executed course. The teacher should have used a bit more practical examples and the video lengths is too long. I have to leave it halfway, because I don't see any point of wasting my time with it. Its sad that this is part of such a great specialization module. I hope the user comments allow the course designers to implement some changes to this course.

By Dahis M

Jan 30, 2019

Detailed and challenging.

By Hemanoel P A

Jan 24, 2019

I really love this course. It changed my life

By Tran N

Feb 25, 2019

It was a quite challenging experience, especially the final module. The problem you have to deal with is not "how to properly use the programs/tools", instead, we have to learn "how to play with the parameters" so that we can have the right answers for the quiz/exam questions. There were a lot of failures throughout this course, I had to watch the lectures again and again, deeply dive into the discussions in course forum, search google and seqsanswer/biostar forum, etc.... I became hating the lecturer and the mentors for theirs not so well organized lectures and answers ... But afterall, I've learned a lot. Thank you!

By sandeep s

Dec 05, 2016

Excellent course. Thanks :)

By Alvaro E U G

Jun 29, 2016

Excellent!

By Edgar L

Apr 13, 2018

Clear, very practical and applicable

By Minli X

Jan 26, 2016

The course content is very solid. It focuses heavily on the tools and technique, and there lacks the concepts and biology behind those tools. But I would guess there is some prior courses in this specialization explaining the concepts, though I didn't take them.

The tools explained in this course is the most popular ones for handling up-stream analysis. They are the must-have ones for current bioinformatician jobs.

The instructor, Dr Liliana Florea, did a great job, walking you through those tools step-by-step. I also found the exercises (exams) highly useful.

The course title is not the most accurate one. The title is not very catchy either. This course is more about the tools for analyzing next generation sequence data.

By yijin

Feb 27, 2016

very basic and useful command line tools for genomic data analysis.

By Latifa M

May 23, 2017

Simple, straight forward and descriptive

By Mohammad Z A

Mar 06, 2017

very information with hands on training exercises.

By Ramya G

Sep 08, 2017

Learned a lot in this course. Very useful if you want to do NGS analysis. Week2 and Week4 were too vast. Flowcharts would be useful to know in which step we are in the analysis. VM didn't work for me. I installed all the tools on my machine to finish the assignments.

By yaohuan23

Aug 13, 2017

the best course i have ever ever taken.

By Faiez S

Dec 17, 2016

I have learnt so much from this course.

By Anna

Mar 11, 2016

Very interesting and detailed course.

Most I liked the tasks: they are very detaild. Thanks to them I've leraned a lot of new things.

By Dorota A

Aug 09, 2016

Very detailed and simply explained introduction to work in linux environment for biologist

By 刘晨

Apr 20, 2016

It is easy to learn the basic knowledge,And It is very useful

By Francia V D L R

Sep 10, 2017

thank you for the course!

By Gabriel d S G

May 11, 2017

Great course. The last exam is a little bit tricky, specially when some commands are large and confusing. But with the help of forums, you can still find the right answers.

By George C

Apr 09, 2018

A really hard introduction to bioinformatics pipelines, it was difficult but was stimulant!

By Chunyu Z

Feb 10, 2016

I learned a LOT from this class and the instructor is very clear.

By Gouri V

Mar 14, 2016

By Wenbo L

Jul 07, 2016

This is perhaps one of the most clearly taught courses I have had on Coursera. Thank you for putting in time to teach us!

By Jason