Back to Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.1

Introduces to the commands that you need to manage and analyze directories, files, and large sets of genomic data. This is the fourth course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

CW

Aug 06, 2020

There were some typos and confusion about the need not to follow the example code for Exam 4.\n\nHowever, I thought that the course was good and useful overall.\n\nThank You!

JJ

Jun 23, 2018

Thank you very much Dr./Professor, Liliana Florea. I've learned a lot. It's a very good opportunity to improve my knowledge. This means a lot to me.

76 - 100 of 113 Reviews for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

By Qianhao L

May 12, 2018

Could have more tools introduced, for instance SNP calling tools.

By Xing Y

Oct 02, 2018

The course is good but not "self-contained"...

By Noman A

Nov 21, 2019

I like the course too much,

By 普嘉杰

Sep 11, 2017

Useful course.

By Kasper T K

Nov 21, 2017

Great course, the instructor does a great job in introducing the students to some off the important sequencing analysis tools. Some of the lectures are although a bit bland, where the instructor reads the entire contents of a slide for format files or program options, this is sometimes quite useless as you can read that yourself by... simply reading the slides.

Forums were not always very useful, sometimes solving error messages were supported by referring to the manual page, instead of actually bothering to look through the code for providing more constructive feedback on what goes wrong in a given example.

Instead, examples should be given which elaborates on the effects on chosen different parameters - like "If you want to make a local alignment, use the bla.bla option. However, beware that when using this, more errors are prone to be assigned...bla.bla.".

For the format, interesting columns in the format files in general are interesting, when looking for e.g. "amount of unique genes" etc.

By doing this, we would be helped better into understanding questions of the quizzes, while also delivering an even deeper understanding of the formats and tools.

By Onur S

Feb 20, 2018

I really struggled to complete this course. The extent of coverage of the topics is quite good, however this is a applied course and application part is lacking A LOT. The biggest drawback here is that the instructors demonstrations are not accessible to learners. This limits the learning experience so much that you get stuck even at the easiest question in a module exam. Some questions in the exams really require the learner to think and do google searches to figure out a strategy to answer the question (this is a good thing, though). However, it can be very easy to get bogged down and lose focus while figuring out what's going wrong. It is advised to visit discussion forums before taking module exams. I think you should not expect to master the presented tools after finishing the course, but you will still get a decent understanding of them

By Emil C F

Feb 03, 2020

Great inclusion in the specialization. I never knew anything about shell until now and I feel like I can use a lot of things from the course in my day-to-day data treatment/processing tasks. I am only giving 3 stars because I spend about 40-50% of the time troubleshooting technical things. The CentOS Vmbox is a great idea but that hardly worked for me (it interfaced weird with OSX and I could get it to understand my keyboard layout, shared folders did not work either) and was a source of frustration. One suggestion for the course would be to help the student verify the initial data set before completing all the analyses on it ... e.g. in the reading section mention the length of the output or similar. Twice I filled out an entire exam "correctly" but had the wrong initial output. You don't learn a lot from that but it does take a long time.

By Robert D

Jan 18, 2020

Overall, the content of this course is great. Much of the content I began using in my job (genomics biotechnology company) immediately - literally within 24 hours of learning. It accelerated my ability to accomplish tasks by a huge amount. I would give 5 stars just for the content, but I gave 3 because the exams are outdated and out of context. In Week 3, some of the content on the exam was not discussed in the course, and the last exam in Week 4 had many red herrings. You can figure out what you need to actually do by reading the Discussion Forum for Week 4, but the course material should be updated so that students don't waste their time on unneccessary activities.

By Damian D

Jun 02, 2020

This is a course of googling. The lectures give some idea the general pipelines in genomic analysis and show the usage of the most essential tools. However the Instructor sometimes uses commands that she does not explain and the data structure is completely elusive. The exams are badly designed and poorly explained. They take MUCH more time than expected. With a rudimental knowledge about the command line language I was able to finish the course but it was painful. I do give 3 stars cose I think I learned quite a bit during the course. As painful as it was at times. IMPORTANTLY, Instructor is absent from the forum and it seems she pretty much abandoned it.

By Igor L

Jul 11, 2018

Very interesting material, but presented in a very dry manner and without going into too much detail. You do have to have some background in Linux and Biochemistry of DNA and RNA, otherwise it could be very hard to understand. Also, the last test deviates somewhat from what is presented in Week 4 lecture. Be very careful and read the questions with alertness before answering them

By Raymond F

Aug 14, 2017

Presentation was less lively than the others. Exercises prone to errors unrelated to the course objectives. A lot hof hints based on questions that are repeated a lot on the forum should be incorporated or stressed more in the exam instructions.

By Tom S

Oct 14, 2018

The theoretical lectures are ok, but the practical ones are a bit slow. Could have been more scirpt based from the beginning. The Exams are quite different from what is explained in the lectures I think. Especially in week4.

By shipra v g

Apr 09, 2017

I would prefer the lecture command line notes too in presentations or any other files in each week modules. It was difficult for me to understand her way of teaching and I felt the lectures didn't flow correctly.

By Ian P

Jul 12, 2018

I would have liked a better overview of the analysis process, less on details of command line parameters. there were several errors in the slides. The assignments were tedious and not very instructive.

By Sofia M K

Oct 18, 2018

Some of the tools are not up to date (tophat) and some things were unexplained. The focus was only typing the commands but not understanding why exactly we have to do specific things.

By Avishai B

Dec 19, 2016

It gives a significant coverage of many important command line tools. Teaching level is not good, very difficult to follow.

By Noam H

Jun 02, 2019

Great and practical material. Instructions for tests aren't clear and sometimes very time consuming to understand

By Anna B

Feb 08, 2019

Exams take way longer than suggested, rest is good-OK

By Dongyuan W

May 16, 2020

TOO DIFFICULT FOR STUDENT WITHOUT ANY EXPERIENCE

By Stefanie M

Feb 10, 2019

A lot of things are not explained in the course

By Yali S

Jun 01, 2020

not enough instruction for exam4

By John C

Jun 12, 2020

A disappointing learning experience - with respect to the lecturer, the nature of the course videos are mostly watching her type commands on screen (often busy with many lines of text), several of which are explained poorly or demonstrated several times too many, and would be better suited to slides which explain the syntax. More careful editing would make for a much clearer narrative. The final exam also includes a section on a command which is not at all covered in the content, I regularly referred to other content including free Youtube videos which I found more useful.

The content would benefit from being edited to better explain why the programs covered are used and how they work, because at this point in time they only really cover specific usage for the scenarios in the course and why the parameters/options are chosen can be unclear.

What the course does right is the useful feedback which is provided on the quizzes and exams, and the setup of the VM which prevents the need for installing specific versions of software.

By Ji E S

The course doesn't provide proper materials, so not easy to follow the lecture. While the instructor writes codes, and I couldn't practice since I don't have any materials to start with. When taking the exam, I need to watch the lectures again to figure out what to do. The tools for the exams are outdated and setting up the VM was very tricky, but there was no mentor or TAs to help me. So I need to read a lot of tread in the forum to get help from other students who figured out solutions and share tips. I would drop it if it's not a part of the specialization course. To future students, if you're taking this course, then read the FORUMS carefully!