Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

1 - 25 of 357 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Joel D B

Nov 19, 2017

A largely unstructured course that presents ideas essentially from 20th-century U.S. design history, but without making this clear. Lectures are rather rambling and rarely make their points clearly. More cultural or technical context would have been helpful. There is also no real distinction drawn between graphic design and other design disciplines. Exercises do not really build on the material in the lectures.

By Taylor A H

Feb 22, 2019

This was a good course but I feel like a lot of students interpreted the assignments in multiple ways. Some would submit their work with ideas that I would never have imagined, which could be seen as a creative and good thing, but when it comes to an assignment, I would think a literal interpretation of the assignment is what is needed. This happened to a lot of the courses in this Graphic Design course, and not just this one. I just happened to notice it more with this particular course.

By Abdelrahman E

Sep 21, 2019

i didnt benefit a lot from that course felt it to be more theoretical than a practical course and i couldn't remember the names of the artists after i finished cause they are a lot

wish it to be more practical concerning graphic design tasks

By Utpal B

Apr 09, 2017

This is such a remarkable course and is indispensable for every aspiring graphic artist as well as enthusiast. It covers the remarkable trends in graphic design from past and how those trends permeated into contemporary practices in design. Thanks a lot to California Institute of the Arts and Coursera for developing and offering such a wonderful course with a blend of design philosophies and insights into hands on practice.

By Wellington A M d S

Dec 26, 2016

The tutoring quality are over the top teaching with well done mentoring and high quality materials. But I felt a lack of coverage of other graphic design of other cultures such as other countries where many ideas were born. ie: Africa and Asia.

By Susan M

Mar 24, 2017

Excellent introduction to applied visual research. *Ideas from the History of Graphic Design* opened my mind and got me super excited about the usefulness, in fact the necessity of strong visual research. I've found reading design history interesting before, but this course and the assignments helped me make the leap from merely looking for ideas to actual design thinking, with visual research as a core methodology.

By Euginius M

May 04, 2020

Ideas from the History of graphic design is a wonderful course in that it gives designers a solid foundation in their understanding of methods and ideas used in this industry. Knowing how things came to be is essential for one to know why things are as they are in the present, and how they can be in the future.

By Oluwasola M

Jul 29, 2019

Every designer needs to know the history behind forms, function and design style and trends that informs visual communication in the modern world. And that's was why I took the course, it was such a great learning.

By Tatiana R

Jul 23, 2020

I enjoyed this course--it gives a useful and broad overview of Graphic Design, discussing artists in historical contexts as well as unpacking some of the philosophies that informed their work.

By Boula N S

Jul 24, 2019

It is a great course.

By Megan M

Jun 15, 2017

This class is very informative and well put together. Slightly boring and dry, because there aren't any creative projects, mostly just research. Its an important and useful class though.

By Kareem J S

Aug 15, 2019

i don't like history myself. i didn't came up with a developed informations after this course

By Sayem

Dec 15, 2017

The assignments should have been more focused towards creating rather than writing.

By Adrien M

Feb 01, 2020

the audio in this course sometimes is very high and snd sometimes is very low

By Xinjuan D

Jul 20, 2019

I am not a history guy

By Hites K

Jul 05, 2020

Firstly, I sincerely Appreciate your guidance like you give me big opportunity to learn. I really enjoyed this course I thought it was well planned and layout for me to learn . the work load just enough so could properly finish everything with enough time learned about topics are not feel overloaded and rushed. Overall I really like this course because all vedio and Assignments are straight forward I got more knowledge about ideas and history of Graphic Design

So Again many many thanks for your guidance.

Thank you so much .

By SaSha D

This was very enjoyable and smooth. I learned how sociology relates to the patterns of design throughout history. This class kept things fun and exciting. It was a great way to understand design and why these patterns and styles came forth. It also helps to understand where design may go in the future. In turn, this helps me understand contemporary design needs and desires.

By Roberto M A

Oct 22, 2018

It is fundamental to understand the history of the fields we work with. This Course explains some of the main moments from the History of Graphic Design and how it shaped what we do nowadays. The examples and assignments help us think critically about current symbols/objects/graphic elements, placing them in the correct context in the History of Graphic Design. Recommended!

By Chana M H

Aug 26, 2018

I enjoyed this course because I was able to learn background and research materials that helped me understand the foundation of the ideological side of design. I am continuing to read the suggested reading materials because I know this will add to my skill, knowledge, and abilities as a designer! It also improved my research skills.

By Jill C

Jun 18, 2018

I've been interested in graphic design for a long time but have no background in it, and this was a great introduction for me. (I can imagine it being too basic for those from the art or design world, but for me it was perfect.) I looked forward to watching the lectures, and I enjoyed doing the assignments more than I expected to.

By Violaine B

Aug 14, 2016

Amazing class, very interesting in terms of content -you learn a lot about the History of Graphic Design- and a great reflection on graphic design today. The assignments were all clever and insightful.

I really recommend it for anyone in the graphic design business, whether you're starting out or have been in the industry a while!

By Madison

Jan 11, 2019

Incredibly interesting to learn the history of graphic design and the influences of it, and those early designers. There's so much more meaning and intention behind it than I knew. The course is also set up in a great way that is informational and really interesting, but does not force learning or busy-work in any way.

By Simran

Jul 14, 2020

At first I thought this would be too theoretical. But in fact, it deepened my insight on arts and culture and gave a a wider aspect of creating new works for future. It was good to gain knowledge on the historical aspects of art and images as that has set the foundation for the blooming graphic design in todays era.

By Kristen F

Aug 20, 2017

This class was very interesting and it gives some background for a lot of the stuff that you learn in the other courses in the specialization. I liked that the assignments weren't difficult but were interesting and informative. We were able to learn from each other and learn in the process of researching topics.

By Pratik R K

Aug 11, 2020

It is definitely a great course clearly telling you the relation between modern-day arts/ graphic designing and the graphic designing from the 19th century and how it has developed, it's origins, and it's application. Overall an incredible course for the beginners and also more experienced people.