Back to A Brief History of Human Spaceflight

Learner Reviews & Feedback for A Brief History of Human Spaceflight by University of Houston

4.4

This course provides a view of the history of spaceflight, from early writings telling of human's fascination of space through the early Russian and American space stations. Developed as an interesting and entertaining slice of space history that is accessible to anyone with an interest in human spaceflight...

PH

Dec 01, 2015

Great summary and overview of manned spaceflight in the 60s and 70s. Plenty of archival footage and rarely seen recordings from both the U S and Soviet space programs.

DM

Nov 29, 2016

Really enjoying this course hope you will do more courses on the Space program i.e. Space shuttles etc, and rocket science/maths would be good as well..

1 - 25 of 96 Reviews for A Brief History of Human Spaceflight

By Graeme T

Oct 08, 2015

A nice idea but very poorly done. This would be cool topic to learn about but it is just so poorly executed.

Week 1 was just introduction. Week 2 seemed okay, reasonably interesting with a video that although was somewhat dated in style managed to grab my attention for the 40 or so minutes in length.

However Week 3 is where I get off. A 16 minute video of slides, with only a couple of minutes of narration in total with what seems like about 20 links to random articles over the internet Links to articles to read would be fine if done well, but with very little to join them up and link them back to the subject at hand is a bit boring. Also the worst part - the slides aren't posted so in order to get to these articles I had to pause the video and letter by letter type them into the address bar. I gave up after the third article and hit leave course.

By Pete H

Dec 01, 2015

By David M

Nov 29, 2016

By Ashley W

Feb 21, 2019

Lots of fascinating information and I'll be coming back to it for the old hard-to-find video -- I just keep hoping for that follow-up course with more about Apollo 11, space disasters, and more recent shuttle and ISS missions.

By Russell T F

Apr 08, 2018

Really great footage! In order to make the topic more interesting there should be some popular type discussions and interaction like you might see on the youtube channel TMRO.

Those folks do a fantastic job presenting current events in space exploration.

By Erika C

Jul 03, 2016

Nothing but badly put together videos and recommendations for readings. The only terrible course on Coursera I've come across, and I've done a few dozen of them.

By Tona M

Jan 28, 2018

The course is brief as advertised, but does offer a comprehensive overview of the history of human spaceflight. Early Rocketry, Sputnik, Vostok, Voshod, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, Mir, and Skylab are all featured. From early Congreve rockets with their almost total lack of guidance through Apollo-Soyuz and on to Mir and Skylab, each program, and each mission, is treated in terms of its goals and how it advanced human knowledge of technology and techniques of space flight. For those of us who lived through the early days of humanity's struggle with the unknowns of orbital and lunar space, the course is a good reminder of the history we witnessed as well as a source of information we missed at the time. For those too young to know those times, it offers a glimpse into the fears and challenges of early spaceflight, and narrates them in terms of the geopolitics of the time. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in space.!

By Prashant

Oct 14, 2015

Loved this course, I am about half way through it. I am an history bluff and this course managed to hold my interest. The course is mostly made of interesting video clips of spaceflight with narration. I thought I had seen most videos of space flight but I got to see some rare clips of the soviet space program and learn some very interesting chapters of the race to conquer space that I was unaware of.

There was an earlier review complaining of the links in the videos - but I got a message from the instructor that supplemental materials were initially missing and have now been added to the course. The links are available in the pdf after each chapter with some nicely done prezi presentations.

Overall a very well made course that hooked me on to space flight, some chapters of this should be required viewing in high school/college courses.

By Birgilio R C

Oct 15, 2015

Dr. Chuck Layne, professor, University of Houston, Coursera, Congratulations for your commitment and excellent contribution to human education and development.It is an honor to have the possibility to learn from you using all the technological advances. My name is Birgilio Rivera, born in Mexico in 1975. I studied marketing at ITESM and a Masters in Innovation for Development at EGADE Business school, in this course i have leran very important this about innovation and development that the hole history of human spaceflights has bring to humans. For ever gratfull, Birgilio Rivera, birgilio@usomx.com

By Charles O

Jul 26, 2020

This brought back memories of elementary school when we would watch the liftoffs in class and talk about the science and advances each mission brought us. We discussed how we continued to reach for the next step and do "the other hard things" President Kennedy talked about, So thank you mom, dad and teachers at Prien Lake Elementary. Excellent course with many behind the scenes information and videos. This should be required in science and civics classes.

By Veronica R

Jan 06, 2017

A great course! Now I have an idea of the timeline of events that occured during the space race and collected a lot of information I never knew. The old videoclips with the explanations were great! Hope to read you soon for the part 2 of this course, because I would like to examine in depths other aspects of the various missions.

I suggest also a course on the robotic missions, and another one on the space exploration after the Shuttle program.

By Angelina W

Jul 20, 2020

A great survey course focused entirely on humanity's attempts to go into space. Although most of the focus is on American spaceflight, the lecturer gives credit to other nations for their contributions in astronautics. Really enjoyed the live footage taken by astronauts in space!

By Ying L

Mar 07, 2018

An absolutely great course! As a huge space fan I enjoy every minute in this course (including the quiz)! So many interesting materials, especially the historical videos about USA/USSR missions which I find very fascinating. Highly recommend.

By David W

Oct 19, 2015

Great course offered by a great institution! Well put together. Very exciting footage, which covers the Space Race between the USA and the Soviet Union, and which really drags you in. If you like Space and related topics, do this one.

By 李丽丝

Apr 27, 2018

This course has lots of launch movies, I enjoyed it very much. It`s like I was been there watching the live.

Cause I have no opportunity to get so close to the launch spot, it`s previous. Learning these classes is quiet relax.

By Jyoti R

Nov 03, 2018

It was a great learning experience. A very useful course for Space Educators and non Space professionals. Would like to recommend that Chinese achievements in human spaceflight should also be made part of this course.

By PRAGUN R V

Jul 30, 2020

A very useful and informative course I ever studied, I love to know interesting space things and I have got it here. Thank you for this Course and I gained more knowledge about the Brief History of Human Spaceflight.

By Dennis T

Jun 29, 2020

I learned a lot more information about human space evolution, which I had never heard of before.

Some details that are unknown to the common gnete while with this course I managed to learn them.

By Bondre v V

May 12, 2020

It's very knowledgeable course about space history ever I get. So nice and neatly presented work. Thank you for giving such a great experience.

By Heyecan U K

Sep 02, 2017

As an aerospace engineering student, I gained historical background about my profession. I hope there will be a second part of this course.

Apr 16, 2018

The course is a gem, but it lacks the second part, like the disasters and so on. Special gratitude for chronicles in different languages.

By Rebecca J

Mar 14, 2017

Great course and good material to review! I enjoyed learning about the early years of spaceflight. Thank you for putting this together!

By Pramodini P

Aug 11, 2020

Was very inspired after seeing all the efforts of mankind to travel into outer space. Very interesting Course and was very informative

By Akarsh S K

Jul 27, 2020

Got to know about Soviet and US old space programmes and some of the classified video clips. A very helpful medium to gain knowledge.

By Alex V

Jun 21, 2020

Very interesting course, with many rarely seen footages and press conference. Too bad it doesn't include others further Units