Back to A Brief History of Human Spaceflight

Learner Reviews & Feedback for A Brief History of Human Spaceflight by University of Houston System

4.3

This course provides a view of the history of spaceflight, from early writings telling of human's fascination of space through the early Russian and American space stations. Developed as an interesting and entertaining slice of space history that is accessible to anyone with an interest in human spaceflight...

PH

Dec 01, 2015

Great summary and overview of manned spaceflight in the 60s and 70s. Plenty of archival footage and rarely seen recordings from both the U S and Soviet space programs.

DM

Nov 29, 2016

Really enjoying this course hope you will do more courses on the Space program i.e. Space shuttles etc, and rocket science/maths would be good as well..

1 - 25 of 69 Reviews for A Brief History of Human Spaceflight

By Ashley W

Feb 21, 2019

Lots of fascinating information and I'll be coming back to it for the old hard-to-find video -- I just keep hoping for that follow-up course with more about Apollo 11, space disasters, and more recent shuttle and ISS missions.

By Russell T F

Apr 08, 2018

Really great footage! In order to make the topic more interesting there should be some popular type discussions and interaction like you might see on the youtube channel TMRO.

Those folks do a fantastic job presenting current events in space exploration.

By Graeme T

Oct 08, 2015

A nice idea but very poorly done. This would be cool topic to learn about but it is just so poorly executed.

Week 1 was just introduction. Week 2 seemed okay, reasonably interesting with a video that although was somewhat dated in style managed to grab my attention for the 40 or so minutes in length.

However Week 3 is where I get off. A 16 minute video of slides, with only a couple of minutes of narration in total with what seems like about 20 links to random articles over the internet Links to articles to read would be fine if done well, but with very little to join them up and link them back to the subject at hand is a bit boring. Also the worst part - the slides aren't posted so in order to get to these articles I had to pause the video and letter by letter type them into the address bar. I gave up after the third article and hit leave course.

By Jyoti R

Nov 03, 2018

It was a great learning experience. A very useful course for Space Educators and non Space professionals. Would like to recommend that Chinese achievements in human spaceflight should also be made part of this course.

By Alexander M W

Feb 03, 2016

An excellent course with great material.

By Prashant

Oct 14, 2015

Loved this course, I am about half way through it. I am an history bluff and this course managed to hold my interest. The course is mostly made of interesting video clips of spaceflight with narration. I thought I had seen most videos of space flight but I got to see some rare clips of the soviet space program and learn some very interesting chapters of the race to conquer space that I was unaware of.

There was an earlier review complaining of the links in the videos - but I got a message from the instructor that supplemental materials were initially missing and have now been added to the course. The links are available in the pdf after each chapter with some nicely done prezi presentations.

Overall a very well made course that hooked me on to space flight, some chapters of this should be required viewing in high school/college courses.

By David W

Oct 19, 2015

Great course offered by a great institution! Well put together. Very exciting footage, which covers the Space Race between the USA and the Soviet Union, and which really drags you in. If you like Space and related topics, do this one.

By Joel P

Jul 08, 2017

Very interesting course. In addition, I learned some facts of the space race unknown by me until this time.

By Kiran T

Dec 20, 2015

It was really good course, got to know lot of new things. I am glad that I took this course.

By Tona M

Jan 28, 2018

The course is brief as advertised, but does offer a comprehensive overview of the history of human spaceflight. Early Rocketry, Sputnik, Vostok, Voshod, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, Mir, and Skylab are all featured. From early Congreve rockets with their almost total lack of guidance through Apollo-Soyuz and on to Mir and Skylab, each program, and each mission, is treated in terms of its goals and how it advanced human knowledge of technology and techniques of space flight. For those of us who lived through the early days of humanity's struggle with the unknowns of orbital and lunar space, the course is a good reminder of the history we witnessed as well as a source of information we missed at the time. For those too young to know those times, it offers a glimpse into the fears and challenges of early spaceflight, and narrates them in terms of the geopolitics of the time. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in space.!

By Yuxin X

Jan 16, 2017

I

By Ying L

Mar 07, 2018

An absolutely great course! As a huge space fan I enjoy every minute in this course (including the quiz)! So many interesting materials, especially the historical videos about USA/USSR missions which I find very fascinating. Highly recommend.

Apr 16, 2018

The course is a gem, but it lacks the second part, like the disasters and so on. Special gratitude for chronicles in different languages.

By Heyecan U K

Sep 02, 2017

As an aerospace engineering student, I gained historical background about my profession. I hope there will be a second part of this course.

By Лялин Л

Dec 03, 2015

Best historical view on subject!

By 王晴宇

Dec 10, 2015

Realy interesting

By Marlene N T

Sep 21, 2017

This course is so great! I never would have learned about spaceflight without it.

By Debjyoti

Jun 06, 2016

Awesome!

By Pete H

Dec 01, 2015

By Juan C F L

Mar 14, 2017

Tiene material nuevo o que no se conocia sobre el tema. Muy interezante

By Andrei H