Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

AC

Feb 24, 2020

Very informative. They teach history and mention the aboriginal journey, but this tells another story. Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to glimpse into to the world of an aboriginal of Canada.

JB

Jan 22, 2018

Excellent course that provides a great foundation for learning about Indigenous cultures and worldviews. Provides thoughtful topics to explore and insightful knowledge. I highly recommend this course!

1 - 25 of 561 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Art H

Nov 21, 2017

There are several reasons why I rated this course as being poor. First, the presentation style does not make use of the capabilities of the medium, namely a significant (perhaps 70 to 80%) portion of the course is just lecturing. There are flashes of material on the screen behind the presenter but, most of the time, there is no specific discussion of the picture, diagram or map. The course would be enhanced significantly by using videos, real interviews (rather than just having the interviewee speak about the topic just like a lecturer), and by really incorporating graphics into the presentation. My second reason is that the material is presented in a very superficial manner. I realize that this is an introductory course but the course organizers/presenters need to go in depth into a few of the examples rather than just quickly going over them. Thirdly, there is very limited resource material given and the access to that material is not very user friendly. For example, if one wanted to get more information on a particular treaty, it would be helpful to have the reference to that directly incorporated into the course notes so that one could click on the reference and bring up an article with more details.

By Marjorie G

May 21, 2019

I wish there is a part two to this course. I want to learn more,

By Joshua B

Jan 22, 2018

By KATHY M

May 20, 2019

I knew very little about Indigenous before I started this course. I have learnt many things and looking forward to learning more. This is a great course for a distinct overview of the nation.

By Yvonne H

Sep 25, 2017

This course was eye-opening and an essential learning experience for my work with First Nations children and their families. I have and will continue to recommend this course to my colleagues.

By Natalie G

Sep 17, 2018

Great course. Very informative and relevant. Videos were well-edited and featured accompanying course notes, which were very helpful for the quizzes. Would highly recommend to all Canadians.

By Cristoberly A B

Apr 13, 2019

A course that every Canadian needs to take to promote the healing of our nation.

By Shalpinder D

Mar 02, 2019

I really enjoyed the course! It was a big learning curve and helpful in expanding my worldview. I gained a new understanding of the history, culture, beliefs, worldviews, and lifestyles of the diverse Indigenous populations in Canada.

By Lynn W

Jan 10, 2019

Perspective for all to begin understanding how the colonial systems uprooted native peoples of North America. And how the natives contend with a new reality while striving to maintain their culture, language, art and other practices.

By Mirjana B

Mar 03, 2019

I'm a doctoral student of theology and I research ethnic religions. This course is amazing for basic overview of indigenous peoples of Canada. I strongly recommend it.

By Michelle V

Mar 02, 2019

Great content and well done in being inclusive of the people across the region of Canada. I enjoyed learning and exploring the art pieces.

By Tammy D

Feb 24, 2019

This course was a plethora of information and a great way to acquire foundational knowledge of the First Nations and Metis.

By Ravi s

Jan 31, 2019

good course to give an better understanding about Indigenous people's and their contribution in building Canadian society

By Katherine M

Jan 30, 2019

I learned a lot from this course and gained an appreciation of modern indigenous challenges.

By Tara P

Jan 17, 2019

Amazing, transformative and so informative!

By Shajini J

Feb 01, 2019

Very important and comprehensive course!

By Brittany R

Feb 20, 2019

Essential knowledge for all Canadians.

By Sean G

Jan 16, 2019

GREAT INSIGHT TO THE HISTORY OF CANADA

By Jonas J

Dec 20, 2017

I'm Metis and I'm really disappointed in this course. Indian history is amazing, from the slave trading Haida navy to the cannibalistic tendencies of the Iroquois and Kwakiutl, Indians were dynamic and efficient stone age warriors, hunters, and killers. But you would never know it from this course. The politically correct presenters portray the Indians as peace loving beatniks who had their love-in trampled by land robbing immigrants.

By Narinder S S

Jan 30, 2019

A very deep and layered learning with in-depth teachings on the varying degrees of struggles the Indigenous peoples of Canada endured during the settler invasions. I appreciated the geographical layout of how Canada was inhabited by the Indigenous people and how they navigated, traded and established mutual agreements with each other to ensure the land and its' inhabitants all thrived before the settlers arrived. A deep appreciation of how our Indigenous people value 'the whole' and not just how our natural resources benefit the limited few for the short-term. A great course which I wholeheartedly

By Melissa R

May 08, 2020

This was an extremely important course, clearly outlining and diving into the Indigenous history of Canada. While challenging to hear even more of what colonization did to the Indigenous people, holding space by learning the deep pain that was caused by the settlers I believe is an integral aspect of moving forward in the best possible way, helping them to heal the wounds. I am intensely humbled by the ability of the Indigenous Nations in Canada to continue their vigilant efforts toward self governance and building even more robust cultures.

By Kaisa H C

May 16, 2020

This was a thought provoking course which presented a lot of knowledge on the social, political, cultural, and spiritual structures previously unknown about the First Nation People in Canada. The only negative of the course is there are no more follow up MOOCs to this one! Well done in a respectful manner. Thank you for the knowledge.

By SYED N N

Jan 12, 2019

I have been enjoying the course since it belongs to the Indigenous peoples having a very long history not only in North America but in other European countries. Amazingly designed course increase my knowledge and I would like to continue reading about Aboriginal peoples in future as well.

By Abigail c

Feb 24, 2020

By Marienoel N

Apr 17, 2020

learning about The Indigenous people from their own perspective shone a whole new light on their history. what i knew before was just censored bit and pieces. knowing the truth about them is helpful