Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

JB

Jan 22, 2018

Excellent course that provides a great foundation for learning about Indigenous cultures and worldviews. Provides thoughtful topics to explore and insightful knowledge. I highly recommend this course!

AC

Feb 24, 2020

Very informative. They teach history and mention the aboriginal journey, but this tells another story. Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to glimpse into to the world of an aboriginal of Canada.

51 - 75 of 1,205 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Alyssa M

Nov 13, 2017

Every Canadian should take this course. I am so thankful that I came across it. It has added to my perspective and knowledge even more than I could have imagined. I highly recommend it and already have been doing so. Thank you!

By Luminita

Nov 14, 2017

Loved this class, every module contains fascinating information about indigenous peoples in Canada, it really provides a basic, well-rounded picture of indigenous Canada. Highly recommended for anybody interested in the issue.

By Virginia C

Feb 03, 2019

Very informative and easy to follow. Thanks for the opportunity to learn more about Indigenous culture.

By Alonso P H

Jan 05, 2019

Excellent course. Very insightful and a very good introduction to many different issues.

By Bambi L

Feb 11, 2019

Very thorough, very informative. I like the delivery and convenience of this course.

By Tomos S

Jan 28, 2019

Excellent course. Very well prepared and informative.

By Keith B

Dec 16, 2018

Very interesting and will pass on to others.

By 戚兆禹

Feb 11, 2019

very coool

By Alexa W

Jun 02, 2017

The videos were very well done: not overboard with animations, but helpful with maps and pictures, etc. The course was logically organized, and created a good momentum to Indigenous contexts in Canada today. As many people have already mentioned on the discussion forums, some finessing of the quiz questions would help students truly demonstrate their understanding of the material as opposed to only being able to figure out tricks to the quiz. A self-pacing online course is one reason why many people will take this course: that flexibility is great. However, I will say that as the weeks went on (and I was following the 12-week schedule until only the second last week), I found the discussion boards a bit lonely. I would read and sometimes respond to a post, but it had been posted weeks before and that person was likely never going to return to that particular discussion. The TA Sara, though, was awesome had providing helpful and encouraging comments. As someone who has done a lot of work in this topic area already, I was hoping for perhaps an opportunity to write and get direct feedback. I realize that a MOOC isn't really designed for that. But perhaps just as there was a fee for those who wanted to take the quizzes and get credit, perhaps there could be another level for those who want to do assignments and get individual feedback. I'm glad I took this course: it filled in some gaps in my knowledge, especially in the older history. I hope that this course proves successful and that tons of people take it. Thanks!

By Kathryn T

Jul 28, 2020

It was privilege to be able to take this course. I learned a great deal and believe my understanding of Indigenous people is forever changed for the better. Thank you to all who made the course possible.

My two suggestions for an improved experience would be to first, use more visual aids, soundscapes and video clips to enhance and replace the talking head presentations and second, to review your quiz questions to ensure they are clear and there is only one correct answer.

By Ansel W

Jul 10, 2020

Some of the quiz questions were quite vague, with sometimes 2 answers that were seemingly correct based on the course material.

By Graeme V

Jul 24, 2020

I found some of the questions in the tests to be worded poorly

By Anna E M

Jul 25, 2020

Some quiz questions were not so clear

By Camilla B

Jun 10, 2020

While it was hugely educational and I learned so much. I believe the course would be better if it was able to be more interactive at times. Watching the videos was good but sometimes difficult to concentrate on. I did read and watch the video at the same time to enhance my learning.

The material was informative and opened my eyes up to how much I didn't know and how I can be a better ally to the Indigenous people of Canada and in my own community. Thank you for making this course free / low cost. I believe having it so accessible will encourage people to take it and learn more about Indigenous people.

By John C

May 04, 2020

I started this course with an expectation that I would acquire some understanding of how First Nations people and "settlers" in Canada arrived at our current state. I think the course did an admiral job of that. The course represented clearly the mistakes made, the misunderstandings, the motivations, and the sad history that played out. What I still don't have is an understanding of where we are going next. We can't dwell on the past to the exclusion of planning for our mutual future. I also feel a bit lost on who the "players" are now, who will lead us forward?

By Kathryne C

Aug 04, 2020

The quiz questions are badly worded.

By Candace c

Aug 17, 2020

why cant i get my certificate?

By Jesse G

Dec 05, 2018

This was propaganda with a major political agenda. Production values were good, but the one-sided slant of the material is inexcusable.

By Ryan D

Feb 19, 2020

Extremely biased and left a bad taste in my mouth. Blaming everything on white heteropatriarchy.

By Renato D L

Mar 31, 2019

it was bad.

By Natasha L

Apr 16, 2018

I am really glad I enrolled in this course offered by the faculty! I learned so much more clarity over indigenous perspective in relation to world views, historical significance past and present and future more than I thought I knew. I enjoyed each lessons and I really loved the interviews and the art work discussions that were in each module. The teachers spoke at a great speed and with great tone that felt personal like I was sitting with my family and having a family member explain and teaching me cultural life lessons,even the very hard parts with the missing and murdered women,to enfranchisement, assimilation and residential schools,there is just so much more understanding and open learning that I only wish was a standard in schools because although some horrifying history and on going struggles,I think would really open the door for trying to see how our daily living without a thought about what it means to be living in the modern world on the lands of those who already occupied and have had an integral connection to their lands,has been impacted and how we can return to a way of mutual respect and equalitarian ways and having a good platform that opens up discussions about what this means. None of the lessons felt like one sided view point or heavily political,or like an ulterior agenda,even while discussing those very things from the indigenous perspective. It was well put together for each module and just let's you learn as best as can be explained and shared so much history,insight and understanding and respect into indigenous Canada.

By Rachel T

Mar 29, 2018

I really enjoyed this course. As a white settler, you only really hear about some of these issues in passing and I'm really disapointed in our school system that still hasn't been changed to teach EVERYONE about our terrible history. This course really helped open my eyes to the issues I only ever hear in passing. It was nice to have some more context for things, and although I understand that this is an introductory course I found some of the information given too shallow, vague, or simplified. I would really love even more information, examples, and history to be given in each lesson.

I would also love more information to be provided on reconciliation and how white settlers can help achieve this. A main sentiment that comes up in conversation is that we would like to do our part to be allies and to help right wrongs and move towards reconciliation, but how to do that is always vague. Questions about whether or not it's proper for us to continue doing something are never answered, and I understand we need to consult elders to gain their insight and perspectives on how to do that, but most of us have no clue how to reach out to elders to begin that process or in some cases, even us reaching out and asking those questions is not wanted.

Overall I enjoyed the course, it was a great starting point to begin delving further into this topic. Thank you very much.

By Finding M

Jan 22, 2020

Thank you Dr. Tracy Bear and Dr. Paul Gareau, and Leah Dorion and all the people who developed the course materials. There is so much learning packaged so efficiently, and I learned so much. I wish I had something like this to take when I first arrived in Canada as a modern settler. This course should be mandatory for everyone living Canada and for all the new settlers, but especially for politicians, anyone working for government, public institutions and in private sector companies that have anything to do with Indigenous peoples, the land, the environment and so much more.

Of course, I'm basing that on the assumption that the more one learns about one's impact on people and the world the less inclined we would be to do harm. That probably sounds naive. But more learning would be a good place to start - for us all!

This course is a good way to learn, among other things, how modern settlers are co-opted into and benefit from the structure of lies, betrayal, violence and theft that is the ongoing colonization project.

It was inspiring and deeply moving to learn about the many ways in which Indigenous peoples have been resisting colonization and remained strong and grounded. The least we can do as non-Indigenous settlers is to follow their lead to hold the Canadian government, its institutions and private sector accountable.

Thank you.

By Anthony C

Apr 23, 2018

This course was so helpful in providing a new perspective on Canada's colonial past and the struggle of Indigenous people since their first encounters with Europeans. Acknowledging the mistakes of these encounters and the crimes since (i.e. residential schools, racism) is critical to help form a new and continued partnership with between Indigenous peoples and Canadian settlers. It was a pleasure to learn about the diversity of many tribes and their social, intellectual and artistic gifts. If "education is the new buffalo" then we all have much to learn from Indigenous people in all environments and in particular their harmony with nature in time of climate change. I will be reflecting on the stories, events and powerful voices I have heard in the course. As a teacher of Canadian History, this course will be valuable as a continued resource to help my students explore Indigenous worldviews, critically examine the colonial perspective and have a greater understanding of the many themes, struggles and triumphs presented by the artists, scholars and leaders. Overall, this course provides a unique experience for those interested in escaping a colonial worldview and hearing the diverse voices of Indigenous Canada as they grapple with the past and adapt to today and in the future. I look forward to learning more.

By Kellie Q

Jun 15, 2020

Wow! What a course and what a journey. I want to thank U of A Faculty of Native Studies for creating this course online for many people to access and expand their knowledge and experience with Indigenous peoples of Canada. It is a very well-rounded, knowledgeable, and critically reflective course that takes the student on a journey of the true history of Canada through Indigenous perspectives, views, beliefs, traditions, ways of knowing and being, political entity, relationship to mother earth and the vital foundation of how this country has come to be and how interactions between cultures of people clashed at first contact which are the underpinnings of so much trauma because colonialism, assimilation, and oppression which are still prevalent within Indigenous families and communities today. The beginning of Canada started with and will always be a story of the First Nation Peoples who were inhabiting this land before settlers crossed the ocean. The legacy of Canada will forever be grounded within the Indigenous People's community.

Thank -you, again, for your expertise and immense knowledge. I will be telling people about this course in order to understand the history of Canada and to propel truth and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples.