Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

JB

Jan 22, 2018

Excellent course that provides a great foundation for learning about Indigenous cultures and worldviews. Provides thoughtful topics to explore and insightful knowledge. I highly recommend this course!

AC

Feb 24, 2020

Very informative. They teach history and mention the aboriginal journey, but this tells another story. Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to glimpse into to the world of an aboriginal of Canada.

26 - 50 of 1,205 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Desiree A B

Jul 22, 2020

The content was engaging, relevant and informative. The only thing I would consider is reviewing the wording of multiple choice questions/answers. Some of them were difficult to decipher at times.

By Narinder S S

Jan 30, 2019

A very deep and layered learning with in-depth teachings on the varying degrees of struggles the Indigenous peoples of Canada endured during the settler invasions. I appreciated the geographical layout of how Canada was inhabited by the Indigenous people and how they navigated, traded and established mutual agreements with each other to ensure the land and its' inhabitants all thrived before the settlers arrived. A deep appreciation of how our Indigenous people value 'the whole' and not just how our natural resources benefit the limited few for the short-term. A great course which I wholeheartedly

By Melissa R

May 08, 2020

This was an extremely important course, clearly outlining and diving into the Indigenous history of Canada. While challenging to hear even more of what colonization did to the Indigenous people, holding space by learning the deep pain that was caused by the settlers I believe is an integral aspect of moving forward in the best possible way, helping them to heal the wounds. I am intensely humbled by the ability of the Indigenous Nations in Canada to continue their vigilant efforts toward self governance and building even more robust cultures.

By Kaisa H C

May 16, 2020

This was a thought provoking course which presented a lot of knowledge on the social, political, cultural, and spiritual structures previously unknown about the First Nation People in Canada. The only negative of the course is there are no more follow up MOOCs to this one! Well done in a respectful manner. Thank you for the knowledge.

By SYED N N

Jan 12, 2019

I have been enjoying the course since it belongs to the Indigenous peoples having a very long history not only in North America but in other European countries. Amazingly designed course increase my knowledge and I would like to continue reading about Aboriginal peoples in future as well.

By Erin L

Jun 08, 2020

I am feeling grateful for this crucial learning. I will be an ally and help move our country forward in equality and unity. This world would be so much better off listening and following our FNMI sisters and brothers. My deepest thanks!

By kyra f

Jun 25, 2019

this is the best online course i have taken..lots of flexibility in your hours and courses. i really enjoyed learning about Indigenous peoples of Canada as i an Inuit but haven't really ever learned about other native peoples of Canada.

By Tammy A

Feb 18, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, a wealth of knowledge, I cried many times over the in-justness succumbed by indigenous peoples then and now. I have recommended this course to everyone I know. Thank you for making this course possible!

By Chantal L M

Apr 26, 2018

This was a great course and I would recommend it. I learned so much more about the history of Canada and more importantly the contemporary issues facing indigenous and settler peoples. Thank you the UA and the instructors for providing

By Zachary B

Aug 17, 2020

Extremely eye opening as a non- indigenous person. The course notes as well as the videos helped me gather the knowledge I need to pursue a profession helping the indigenous youth. Thank you for all your hard work put into this course.

By Katalin K

Aug 06, 2019

I learned so much from this course and truly appreciate the comprehensiveness and care detail taken to cover so many fundamental concepts. Leah Dorion's artwork was beautiful to experience in the interactive modules. Thank you so much.

By Elizabeth D

Aug 16, 2020

I didn't grow up in Canada and had a limited understanding of the history and present of Indigenous people. I enjoyed and learned much from the course and will work towards being an ally. Feels like a good accomplishment at age 69!

By Cecelia M

May 03, 2020

Every Canadian should take this course! I have no doubt that our conversations and lives would be so richer if we all understood a little better the experiences of Indigenous Canadians. Thank you for creating and sharing this course!

By Daphne Q

Jan 13, 2020

I learnt so much in the course and couldn't wait to get to the next lesson to learn more. Thank you for all of your efforts in putting this together. It has certainly been thought provoking and has increased my desire to learn more.

By Julie K

Jan 24, 2018

This course was thought-provoking, eye-opening and a truly excellent way to learn more about Indigenous cultures and issues in Canada. I've recommended it to many of my friends and will encourage them to take it as soon as possible.

By Angela B

Jul 03, 2020

I appreciate all that I learned from the materials offered in this course. It has helped me to further my knowledge and gain greater understanding. Thank you for the work that you did to bring this course to an accessible platform.

By Kea A

Jun 01, 2020

Thought provoking and well presented. I am very glad that I participated in this class, and learned more about Indigenous Peoples in Canada. Thank you for providing this excellent and informative interactive educational experience.

By rachelle m

Nov 19, 2019

This is really powerful information. Unfortunately, as a forty year old, I had to learn this on my own not through curriculum or media or powerful discussions. Knowledge is power and hopefully this get out to the greater population

By Jennifer B

Aug 19, 2020

As someone new to learning the history of indigenous peoples, I really appreciated this course. I especially enjoyed the look into multiple cultures' world views, and how the instructors didn't shy away from speaking harsh truths.

By Oliver K

Apr 21, 2020

This course was excellent. It was very well spread and had a mixture of both instructions, narration, social and material 9artwork) interaction. I have recommended it to all my staff - sorry - they are all supposed to take it.

By Navraj S

Sep 30, 2019

Hi, this is not a review.

I actually logged in with my facebook but I changed my email and de-linked my facebook. Can you please send me my completion certificate at my updated email. Which is snavraj4@gmail.com, thank you so much

By Deborah-Anne M

This course was very informative and the video's were both clear and concise. It is refreshing to find correct information on the Indigenous Peoples and I am very excited to convey the real truth to people that I associate with.

By Aaron F

Nov 20, 2018

Im in my third week and so far this course has taught me so much. Especially from the perspectives of Indigenous people; which is a purview the elementary and secondary education system do not teach a lot of. Great job for this.

By Jessica L

Aug 05, 2020

The instructors were amazing. I learned so much more about Canadian history and about indigenous peoples. I have a better understanding of protests, treaties and colonization. I know there is so much more to learn and explore.

By Fiona M S

Jun 04, 2020

found this course to be very interesting. Information about the indigenous people that i hadn't heard before or mad me think about things from the indigenous peoples point of view rather than the general European point of view.