Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

JB

Jan 22, 2018

Excellent course that provides a great foundation for learning about Indigenous cultures and worldviews. Provides thoughtful topics to explore and insightful knowledge. I highly recommend this course!

AC

Feb 24, 2020

Very informative. They teach history and mention the aboriginal journey, but this tells another story. Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to glimpse into to the world of an aboriginal of Canada.

201 - 225 of 1,205 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Alison C

Aug 07, 2020

This was the primer I required and the beginning of learning more. The lessons were engaging, and informative. The interactive art piece was a highlight, giving credence to the the past in the present together. There was a lot of information and much that I did not learn from text books in school in the 1960's. I was on a class trip to Expo '67 and learning the context of the Pavillion was fascinating.

By Cherie C

Aug 02, 2020

The course was an excellent opportunity to build on my existing knowledge which deepened my understanding of indigeneity. The modules provided new terms to portray concepts with that were more accurate and meaningful. Also, the art work, interviews and information presented has critically supported me with different tools so I can approach the topic of Indigenous culture with my students in multiple ways.

By Robert C C

Jan 12, 2018

This is an excellent course and it hits one right between the eyes and in one's heart about the history of Indigenous peoples not only in Canada, but also in all of North America. Sometimes it was hard to choose best answers on quizzes as some of the answers were very similar, but the quizzes were fair and the lectures were excellent. I really enjoyed the discussion of the arts. Highly recommend this

By Sheilah M

Sep 06, 2020

Well organized, interesting, comprehensive, and clearly presented. Grateful to have an opportunity to learn about the history of Canada from an Indigenous perspective. It was not available in my curriculum in middle school, high school or post secondary classes. It was also helpful to learn online at my own pace. Highly recommend this course.

Would also love to see more in-depth classes available.

By Jennifer S

Aug 08, 2020

It was an enlightening, fascinating and emotional ride. This course was well organised and beautifully presented. I particularly enjoyed Leah Dorion's artwork and her process to illustrate story and symbolism. You are right - every Canadian should engage in this course and other ways of learning about Indigenous culture and issues. This is a starting point for me and I thank you for your efforts!!

By Judy S

Apr 20, 2020

With humility and gratitude, I thank Dr. Tracy Bear and Dr. Paul Gareau for the Indigenous Canada course. I have learned so much, and been inspired to learn more. The course is comprehensive and holistic, and organized in the most thoughtful and interesting way. The course will forever be a significant part of my journey as a settler in Canada for Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. Thank you.

By Chelsea G

This is a great course that is inclusive to the multi-dimensional Indigenous experience and histories across Canada. The content highlights issues pertaining to almost all of Canada's geography and explains why and how Indigenous experiences differ. Overall, this is great course for beginners to Indigenous content and also a superb resource for those who are more experienced and want a refresher.

By Jeanetta D

Aug 28, 2020

Very well done and put together. It was a big differences from the education I got in school in the 90s especially in the Catholic District School Board of Ontario. I am going to research and explore more on how I can support or learn more about the indigenous communities close to where I live. I am an Ontario certified teacher in Oshawa. Thank you for making this course available to the public.

By Alexandra T

Aug 12, 2020

While it isn't possible for one course to go in depth about indigenous history and cultural issues in Canada, this course gives a good overview of where to start, and fills in the gaps from the Canadian history I was taught in school. Very applicable to me personally in my work environment to improve understanding and empathy when working on issues that may impact indigenous peoples in Canada.

By Heather B

Jul 27, 2020

I absoutley enjoyed this course! What an eye opener. I was born and raised in Toronto and went to Elementry and high school and was never taught majority of the information that was taught in this course. Thank you so much for having this course available to Learn the truth about Indigenous culture. This course has inspired me to help spread the awarenss of Indigenous culture anyway I can! :)

By Julia P

Apr 22, 2020

This course is well researched and has so much information that every Canadian should know about. It incorporated interesting interviews, and some art pieces commissioned to highlight the course and important aspects of Aboriginal history. Discussion forums with answers from mediators along with course notes and references were helpful in digging a bit deeper into the informaiton. Well done!

By Elyssa D

Sep 13, 2017

I have always had an interest in Indigenous culture and issues. This course has allowed me to gain insight into an Indigenous' perspective of Canadian's history. The way videos and notes were used was very organized and helpful. This course should be mandatory for all Canadians and be integrated in our education system. Thank you for this wonderful learning experience! Highly recommend it!

By NaDeana N

Sep 18, 2020

Very eye opening course that showed how little I learned in school about indigenous people, true Canadian history and how our lessons in Canadian history were incredibly white washed. I now shutter to think we celebrated John Cabot Day/Discovery Day in Newfoundland knowing that his "discovery" meant the demise and suffering of so many indigenous people. Thank you for offering this course.

By Robert S B

Sep 07, 2020

Overall, I really enjoyed the course. The content was stimulating and thought provoking. Many times, I did further research into issues/articles to gain a better understanding. Video footage and artwork imagery were appropriate to assist the learning process. I would have liked a link to further courses that could be taken via distance learning to build on the foundations of this course.

By John K

Sep 03, 2020

sadness, anger and shame at Canadian Government deliberate genocidal policies

interesting parallels with Ireland in terms of english rule, and later church and state influence

irish healthcare and prosperity improved dramatically with EU membership, while sovereignty was partly conceded....nowhere can expect immunity from digital economy and the resulting multicultural integration

thanks

By Swetha P

Jul 09, 2020

Incredible course to start learning about Indigenous Peoples in "Canada" with specific, thought-provoking examples. Spoke to varies parts of history as well as current Indigenous life in "Canada". Very grateful to the team who created this amazing course, looking forward to being a life-long learner in this space as an incoming medical student and settler on Treaty 6 lands. Thank you.

By Alfred W F L

Aug 11, 2020

I have sincerely appreciated the presentation of this course, not knowing what to expect. As a full-blooded white male, I thought I knew a little more than is now apparent. Though there are obvious ‘digs’ at the colonial settlers (of which I am a part, by default of birth) your educating of us is nonetheless done with dignity and honesty. I feel I am better for it. Thank you

By Sherri B

What a wonderful course. So thoughtfully put together. I can't believe the tremendous amount of work that was put into this course. It was so appreciated and really broadened my knowledge of many Indigenous subjects relevant to our country and the history of Canada. It has inspired me to further learn. Again my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all who were involved.

By Danielle C

Sep 15, 2020

I have learned so much, at times my heart ached for all the hurt and devastation, and other times I was furious that anyone, at any time trought history, could ever view these cultures as anything but inspiring and beautiful. Thank you to University of Alberta Faculty of Native Studies for providing this course to the world. I truly think every person should take this.

By Manothri M

Sep 04, 2020

This course was easy to follow, informational, and engaging. I really appreciated learning about indigenous history from an indigenous perspective, and I certainly learned a lot about Canada's history. I found the course and its material extremely valuable and I would recommend that this course be taught in elementary and secondary schools. Thank you for the knowledge!

By Katharine M

Sep 07, 2020

I have started my journey to listen. I will continue to study the content from this amazing 1st course about Indigenous Canada. The broad range of topics were the perfect way to steer me in the right direction. An excellent 12 weeks of learning from the Native Studies team. Thank you so much for offering this free course. Is the an Indigenous Canada 2 on the horizon?

By Sharon S

Feb 18, 2018

This was an important learning for me, to bring the history into the contemporary world we all live in. The course material was clear and accessible with various ways to learn (auditory and visual). The online/mobile app was also useful to be able to keep up the course work. I will recommend this course to my colleagues, friends and family. Thank you. Sharon Stevens

By Priya K

Mar 21, 2020

I never expected I can complete a wonderful course. From the beginning of the course to the end, each part I have learned is really interesting and I have enjoyed a lot by acquiring knowledge in Indigenous Canada. I thank the educators for enlightening my existing knowledge and for their efforts to spread a really wonderful history on Indigenous people of Canada.