Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

JQ

Aug 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and although I am not a chemist nor a research biotech guy, I am a dentist that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology. Thanks so much!

MB

Jan 28, 2018

Awesome intro to modern technologies and production processes used in the Biotech Industry! Does a great job of detailing where the industry is headed in the upcoming years.

1 - 25 of 60 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By MUHAMMED A

Sep 20, 2018

perfect .. but it will be amazing with certificate

By Xiangyang L

Jun 30, 2019

Synthetic biology, industrial fermentation and green chemistry are integrated into the course and it is well organized and is a nice interdisciplinary course.

Thanks.

By Abhinandan R

Dec 11, 2018

Shows exactly what is industrial biotechnology

By mansi g

I

v

By Arturo M

Jan 29, 2019

Extraordinary MOOC. All speakers presented the most important current topics in industrial biotechnology. Very well documented and the expertise of all exposers quite evident. My current field is precisely biotechnology (production of rec proteins) and I really enjoyed this MOOC. I strongly recommend it. Congratulations to U. of Manchester.

By Akhilesh G

Apr 09, 2019

Overall, a great brush-up course for a biotechnologist but is not at all recommadable to someone new to this field. Applicative part is imprevise and i learnt many new things about molecules i knew but did not acknowledge. I would refer this course to every biotechnology aspirant.

By Michael N

Mar 09, 2019

it was pretty good. I learned a lot. Im from Dominican Republic and i didnt know how wonderful and widely is this area of industrial biotechnology. it makes me wanna know more about all of this

By Abdul M A N A

Feb 03, 2019

nice

By eke k f

Sep 30, 2017

This course has really given me an insight about this course Industrial Biotechnology

By Feargal G

Feb 04, 2018

A useful overview of modern biotech

By Esthela P O

Apr 04, 2018

Great course!

By Irene A G

Jan 21, 2018

I am very satisfied with this course. It's been very interesting and helpful for my career development.

By MOHAMED S T

Mar 07, 2018

Excellent

By Khadija M M

Nov 16, 2017

Hi, i am taking this online course via coursera i would like to know if their is a certificate of recognition for the course?

By Olivia L

Aug 07, 2017

Great course delivered by experts in the field! I would thoroughly recommend this course to anyone interested in biotechnology. I have a degree in chemistry and I found this course to be very enjoyable!

By Joemark N

May 21, 2018

The lectures were divided into modules that were appropriate in length/tie. Speakers were very easy to comprehend and the outline of the topics were well presented.

By Wael A M H

Dec 12, 2017

Very useful course

By Julie M

May 14, 2018

Great course as introduction to industrial biotechnology. More difficult than imagined initially.

By Maria D

Jun 06, 2018

Great course, especially for those, who knows the matter a little.

By Max B

Jan 28, 2018

By Prajwalitha P

Apr 08, 2018

It would be better if there would be a certificate for it

By JOHN Q