Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Industrial Biotechnology, University of Manchester

(245 ratings)

About this Course

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

By JQ

Aug 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and although I am not a chemist nor a research biotech guy, I am a dentist that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology. Thanks so much!

By MB

Jan 28, 2018

Awesome intro to modern technologies and production processes used in the Biotech Industry! Does a great job of detailing where the industry is headed in the upcoming years.

49 Reviews

By Aditya Vaze

May 18, 2019

Good overview of industrial biotechnology. I especially enjoyed the modules on bioprocessing, they were general enough to teach broadly applicable concepts. The later modules were a little too specific for me.

By Akhilesh Gupta

Apr 09, 2019

Overall, a great brush-up course for a biotechnologist but is not at all recommadable to someone new to this field. Applicative part is imprevise and i learnt many new things about molecules i knew but did not acknowledge. I would refer this course to every biotechnology aspirant.

By EMMANUEL NG'AMBI

Mar 13, 2019

bh

By Michael Natera

Mar 09, 2019

it was pretty good. I learned a lot. Im from Dominican Republic and i didnt know how wonderful and widely is this area of industrial biotechnology. it makes me wanna know more about all of this

By Rimsha tufail

Feb 20, 2019

Very helpful

By Abdul Monem Abdallah Nasr Adam

Feb 03, 2019

nice

By Arturo Manzo-Fontes

Jan 29, 2019

Extraordinary MOOC. All speakers presented the most important current topics in industrial biotechnology. Very well documented and the expertise of all exposers quite evident. My current field is precisely biotechnology (production of rec proteins) and I really enjoyed this MOOC. I strongly recommend it. Congratulations to U. of Manchester.

By Brendan Cawley

Jan 28, 2019

Very informative and captivating course. I feel like my understanding of biotechnology is now at a point where I can pick up topics of interest to learn more at my leisure. I'd love to take another course like this.

Most of the lecturers were great, except for the glycoscience Prof., who just read out long wordy slides.

By Miao Li

Jan 22, 2019

Overall it's a great course to generally peek into Industrial Biotechnology. Since my major is biochemistry, this course is not difficult for me to catch up with. It's quite a good resource for academic researchers to broaden the horizons, especially in applications and real cases of their research.