Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

JQ

Aug 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and although I am not a chemist nor a research biotech guy, I am a dentist that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology. Thanks so much!

YH

Oct 30, 2017

It is a very interesting course that inspired my passion in industrial biotechnology. The introduced knowledge covers a wide range of fundamental science and applied technologies.

1 - 25 of 80 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By MUHAMMED A

Sep 20, 2018

perfect .. but it will be amazing with certificate

By Arturo M

Jan 29, 2019

Extraordinary MOOC. All speakers presented the most important current topics in industrial biotechnology. Very well documented and the expertise of all exposers quite evident. My current field is precisely biotechnology (production of rec proteins) and I really enjoyed this MOOC. I strongly recommend it. Congratulations to U. of Manchester.

By JOHN Q

By Xiangyang L

Jun 30, 2019

Synthetic biology, industrial fermentation and green chemistry are integrated into the course and it is well organized and is a nice interdisciplinary course.

Thanks.

By Farah G

Dec 15, 2017

Even as a graduate student in MSC biotechnology, i found this course immensely helpful in not only acting as a refresher for all the basic stuff ,but also a good update on the new things going on in parts that are not in my immediate interest. Thanks to the awesome Manchester team for an amazing Mooc!

By Akhilesh G

Apr 09, 2019

Overall, a great brush-up course for a biotechnologist but is not at all recommadable to someone new to this field. Applicative part is imprevise and i learnt many new things about molecules i knew but did not acknowledge. I would refer this course to every biotechnology aspirant.

By shreemaya r

Dec 15, 2019

This was a very interesting course. It showcased a variety of techniques that are currently being applied in the field of biotechnology. This course provided a wide variety of industrial applications of biotechnology being applied in various sectors.

By Arune V

Jan 01, 2020

Really enjoyed the insightful pieces of experience the professors give us about what they do within the field of Industrial Biotechnology along with their description of whatever concept they explain. Keep up the good work!

By Maria B

Sep 18, 2018

Very good overview. One will find new and deepening knowledge no matter what background one comes from. I’m from an engineering school and this was both a good repetition in some areas and an eyeopener in other.

By Olivia L

Aug 07, 2017

Great course delivered by experts in the field! I would thoroughly recommend this course to anyone interested in biotechnology. I have a degree in chemistry and I found this course to be very enjoyable!

By George N E

Nov 19, 2017

An eye-opener indeed. Particularly on the trends and prospects in the application of bio-molecular techniques in the industries and the in silico design and modification of enzymes ; fascinating indeed.

By Michael N

Mar 09, 2019

it was pretty good. I learned a lot. Im from Dominican Republic and i didnt know how wonderful and widely is this area of industrial biotechnology. it makes me wanna know more about all of this

By Max B

Jan 28, 2018

Awesome intro to modern technologies and production processes used in the Biotech Industry! Does a great job of detailing where the industry is headed in the upcoming years.

By Joemark N

May 21, 2018

The lectures were divided into modules that were appropriate in length/tie. Speakers were very easy to comprehend and the outline of the topics were well presented.

By Carlos V B

Jan 13, 2020

Great course, but Why don't give certificate?. I am very interested in the doctorate (PhD) of Biotechnology at the University of Manchester.

By Estefania

Mar 14, 2020

Extremely interesting course. Also very attractive due to examples of biotechnology examples of real industrial applications.

By Khadija M M

Nov 16, 2017

Hi, i am taking this online course via coursera i would like to know if their is a certificate of recognition for the course?

By Dilshan D S

Sep 22, 2019

This is a great course for beginners and provide very extensive knowledge on Industrial Biotechnology and the applications

By Irene A G

Jan 21, 2018

I am very satisfied with this course. It's been very interesting and helpful for my career development.

By Julie M

May 14, 2018

Great course as introduction to industrial biotechnology. More difficult than imagined initially.

By Tan P W

Oct 13, 2019

I enjoyed my time in studying this course.

The explanations were brief and easy to understand.

By 兰宇轩

Nov 11, 2018

It covers a lot of basic knowledge and concepts in IB, which is very friendly for beginners.

By Pandimadevi M

Nov 10, 2017

Excellent course , taught me the insights of many mechanisms,techniques, and applications

By eke k f

Sep 30, 2017

This course has really given me an insight about this course Industrial Biotechnology

By Smith O

May 30, 2018

highly educative and insightful would love to take a course in Biotechnology