Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

MK
Mar 5, 2021

Great course. Im a chemical engineering, applying for master's in Chemical Biotechnology. This course really helped in understanding the basics of this amazing field. Thanks guys. Humans are awesome.

JC
Apr 28, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

26 - 50 of 507 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Syamsul M

Mar 20, 2021

Everything was way so good. I have some critics on the certificate. The logo of Manchester University is cut uncomplete. Can I have a request for coursera to fix it up? Thank you so much in advance

By Wael G E

Jan 28, 2020

a very nice course for a beginner like me to start understanding the wonderful world of biotechnology in industry. I would like to improve in this course is to offer a certificate of achievement.

By In A L T

Apr 30, 2020

the first week was so of point but the other weeks are grate

and the other star for not having a certificate :(

By Shivani N L

Apr 15, 2020

It could've been more interactive and the notes in the ppt's more short and sweet .

By BEATRIZ L P

Apr 6, 2020

Great course, however you must offer a certificate

By Muthu 9

Dec 15, 2019

This was a very interesting course. It showcased a variety of techniques that are currently being applied in the field of biotechnology. This course provided a wide variety of industrial applications of biotechnology being applied in various sectors.

By Aura A T G

May 10, 2021

Es un curso muy completo que te introduce a diversas áreas emocionantes de la biotecnología. Da ejemplos concretos y complementa bien tu conocimiento si estudias una carrera relacionada a estos temas. Definitivamente lo recomiendo :D

By Moiz K

Mar 6, 2021

By Shivaji B M

Jul 13, 2020

such a excellent platform, educators are so well they explained each and every concept in very simplified way.I am very happy to gain a lots of knowledge abot actual industrial biotechnology

By Heidy X F G

Apr 16, 2021

Me gustó bastante la temática que trataron en el curso, algo bastante interesante y aplicable para mi profesión.

By Deepak Y

Apr 12, 2020

Helpfull

By Sebastian S

Apr 1, 2020

Usable as a very general overview, detailed insight lacking.

By Wong K H

May 16, 2018

Highly useful. But I wish there was an explanation for terms

By Vedika N

Feb 2, 2020

i really like the course and it was quite informative

By Sonali k

May 16, 2020

This course was very helpful and provide lot of information

By Angelo R

May 8, 2021

The course certificate needs to fix, instead of Manchester it says Man and the rest is missing.

By Maily S G A

Sep 13, 2020

Certificate problems. The university logo does not fully load on the certifcate.

By Patricia M N

Jul 15, 2020

Thanks to all professors of the Industrial Biotechnology course. The course syllabus was very well designed with every topic being taught in depth; which allowed me to learn a lot and enjoy each topic. My only complaint is that given the advanced level of the course there was not certificate available. I would like that in the future the University of Manchester offers in Coursera a specialization degree in Industrial Biotechnology and later a master and doctorate degree in the same field.

Besides, I would like that, given the depth experience of University of Manchester in this field, also offer courses in Molecular Tools for microorganism identification in soils and water and Microbial inoculant formulation for environmental and agriculture uses.

Thanks again for this wonderful course,

Patricia Martinez

Best Regards,

Patricia Martinez

Mostrar mensaje original

By Leidy J G G

Aug 15, 2020

It really was a course that contributed a lot to me, I am a student of engineering in agro-industrial processes and complement my knowledge about: -The enzymes, how they work, how they are manufactured, their classification etc. -Synthetic biology which is an evolving field, designing a genome,production of useful molecules, the central dogma, directed metabolomics -Biochemical and bioprocess engineering, the subject of material balance was really captivating for me, I managed to understand the subject with the everyday examples it describes. I could go on to describe all the knowledge that this course offers, but in reality I can only recommend this course. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

By Ethan H Q A

Jul 25, 2020

I think that this course actually requires moderately strong understanding of Organic Chemistry to understand certain sections, such as the fourth module on pharmaceutical processes. The case studies used in that module could certainly be simplified and conveyed more effectively to students lacking the Organic Chemistry foundation and better labeling of diagrams would allow us to keep track of the numerous chemical processes. Overall, it provides a tremendously reliable projection of the future of biotechnology applications and how students like myself could apply basic science concepts to productive and life-changing research.

By Manish K

Apr 30, 2020

This is one of the best courses available on Coursera for the Biotech enthusiasts. Each module/chapter is designed in a way that covers a lot of important topics. The lectures are recorded by highly experienced industry experts cum professors. I have learned a great deal out of it. If given a chance (many variables) I would personally like to attend a masters or doctoral program in this university.

I am a bit disappointed by the fact that the course doesn't offer a certificate. But I would still give it a 5 star for the excellent course structure and contents.

By Daniela A

Dec 12, 2020

This course was very enjoyable from start to end! I decided to take this course to gain more insights about the area after having a brief introduction in college, and I was not disappointed! The modules are very well-structured and synthesized, giving a very good perspective of what is already known in the field and what can be the future expectations and aspirations. The professionals do a very good job at communicating the subjects in question and provide a strong basis of understanding. Fantastic.

By Shirley H

Aug 21, 2020

The overall course content was highly informative and gave me a wider range of knowledge but in certain videos i felt that it must be updated to recent content as in some places it was mentioned about the information that was available in 2013 but its 2020 now with so much things that have been developed so an updation would be helpful.. The course has motivated me to further pursue in this domain of biotechnology. I sincerely thank every faculties who made this course very informative.

By Santiago

Dec 31, 2020

Great course! Covers diverse topics of biotechnology and biotechnological applications, some of which I had no idea of their existence. Also has case studies that complement the theoretical classes and let one perceive how a real application of biotechnology really looks like, with some very important takeaway messages about what biotechnology can really make in an industrial setting.

By Niki P

Nov 24, 2020

This course provides very useful information about different aspects of Industrial Biotechnology and helped me educate myself on something I really enjoy. The expanations were on point and very essential, the presentations were also very well structured and easy to comprehend!! I definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in Industrial Biotechnology.