Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

JC

Apr 29, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

JQ

Aug 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and although I am not a chemist nor a research biotech guy, I am a dentist that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology. Thanks so much!

26 - 50 of 372 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Anas m S S i

Apr 30, 2020

the first week was so of point but the other weeks are grate

and the other star for not having a certificate :(

By Shivani N L

Apr 15, 2020

It could've been more interactive and the notes in the ppt's more short and sweet .

By BEATRIZ L P

Apr 06, 2020

Great course, however you must offer a certificate

By shreemaya r

Dec 15, 2019

This was a very interesting course. It showcased a variety of techniques that are currently being applied in the field of biotechnology. This course provided a wide variety of industrial applications of biotechnology being applied in various sectors.

By Shivaji B M

Jul 13, 2020

such a excellent platform, educators are so well they explained each and every concept in very simplified way.I am very happy to gain a lots of knowledge abot actual industrial biotechnology

By Deepak Y

Apr 12, 2020

Helpfull

By Wael G E

Jan 28, 2020

a very nice course for a beginner like me to start understanding the wonderful world of biotechnology in industry. I would like to improve in this course is to offer a certificate of achievement.

By Sebastian S

Apr 01, 2020

Usable as a very general overview, detailed insight lacking.

By Wong K H

May 16, 2018

Highly useful. But I wish there was an explanation for terms

By Vedika N

Feb 02, 2020

i really like the course and it was quite informative

By Sonali k

May 16, 2020

This course was very helpful and provide lot of information

By Patricia M N

Jul 15, 2020

Thanks to all professors of the Industrial Biotechnology course. The course syllabus was very well designed with every topic being taught in depth; which allowed me to learn a lot and enjoy each topic. My only complaint is that given the advanced level of the course there was not certificate available. I would like that in the future the University of Manchester offers in Coursera a specialization degree in Industrial Biotechnology and later a master and doctorate degree in the same field.

Besides, I would like that, given the depth experience of University of Manchester in this field, also offer courses in Molecular Tools for microorganism identification in soils and water and Microbial inoculant formulation for environmental and agriculture uses.

Thanks again for this wonderful course,

Patricia Martinez

Best Regards,

Patricia Martinez

Mostrar mensaje original

By Leidy J G G

Aug 16, 2020

It really was a course that contributed a lot to me, I am a student of engineering in agro-industrial processes and complement my knowledge about: -The enzymes, how they work, how they are manufactured, their classification etc. -Synthetic biology which is an evolving field, designing a genome,production of useful molecules, the central dogma, directed metabolomics -Biochemical and bioprocess engineering, the subject of material balance was really captivating for me, I managed to understand the subject with the everyday examples it describes. I could go on to describe all the knowledge that this course offers, but in reality I can only recommend this course. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

By Ethan H Q A

Jul 25, 2020

I think that this course actually requires moderately strong understanding of Organic Chemistry to understand certain sections, such as the fourth module on pharmaceutical processes. The case studies used in that module could certainly be simplified and conveyed more effectively to students lacking the Organic Chemistry foundation and better labeling of diagrams would allow us to keep track of the numerous chemical processes. Overall, it provides a tremendously reliable projection of the future of biotechnology applications and how students like myself could apply basic science concepts to productive and life-changing research.

By Manish K

May 01, 2020

This is one of the best courses available on Coursera for the Biotech enthusiasts. Each module/chapter is designed in a way that covers a lot of important topics. The lectures are recorded by highly experienced industry experts cum professors. I have learned a great deal out of it. If given a chance (many variables) I would personally like to attend a masters or doctoral program in this university.

I am a bit disappointed by the fact that the course doesn't offer a certificate. But I would still give it a 5 star for the excellent course structure and contents.

By Shirley H

Aug 21, 2020

The overall course content was highly informative and gave me a wider range of knowledge but in certain videos i felt that it must be updated to recent content as in some places it was mentioned about the information that was available in 2013 but its 2020 now with so much things that have been developed so an updation would be helpful.. The course has motivated me to further pursue in this domain of biotechnology. I sincerely thank every faculties who made this course very informative.

By Ilya G

Jun 15, 2020

Good introduction in to the area. Gives even a non-specialist a good understanding of the current state, trends and developments in the field and related areas, as well as provides numerous sources for further reading. I enjoyed taking it, and hope that investing in this course will later pay off by advancing my career.

By Aman P

Oct 26, 2020

This is very much informative and interesting course.I can’t express my feelings that How much I am excited to complete this fantastic course.A very much staning ovation to the course makers and professors.Thanking you all for the fantastic course which help in boosting my knowledge in the area of Biotechnology.

By Bhaskar J N

Sep 04, 2020

An excellent introductory course for researchers of Industrial biotechnology. Every aspects of of advancements of industrial applications of biological systems were covered and well explained by experts of respective fields. I highly recommend this course for fellow researchers focused in bio-industrial sector.

By M. S

Aug 01, 2020

This was a very informative and insightful course about the numerous applications of Biotechnology in the industry, and also about the growing futuristic trends in the fields of biopharmaceuticals, bioenergy and biomaterials.

I sincerely thank the course instructors for putting up this wonderful course.

By Farah G

Dec 15, 2017

Even as a graduate student in MSC biotechnology, i found this course immensely helpful in not only acting as a refresher for all the basic stuff ,but also a good update on the new things going on in parts that are not in my immediate interest. Thanks to the awesome Manchester team for an amazing Mooc!

By Akhilesh G

Apr 09, 2019

Overall, a great brush-up course for a biotechnologist but is not at all recommadable to someone new to this field. Applicative part is imprevise and i learnt many new things about molecules i knew but did not acknowledge. I would refer this course to every biotechnology aspirant.

By Kamini T

May 06, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. This course is very interesting and very helpful for me. This course gives me alot of knowledge and interest in this course.I learn many things from this course and really i enjoyed this course...Great course.

By A G

Jul 26, 2020

Great insight offered by University of Manchester into the field of Industrial Biotechnology. Being a Chemical Engineering student, I learnt a lot, especially the industrial aspects, and realized the tremendous potential in this subject.

By Arune V

Jan 01, 2020

Really enjoyed the insightful pieces of experience the professors give us about what they do within the field of Industrial Biotechnology along with their description of whatever concept they explain. Keep up the good work!