Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

JQ

Aug 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and although I am not a chemist nor a research biotech guy, I am a dentist that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology. Thanks so much!

MB

Jan 28, 2018

Awesome intro to modern technologies and production processes used in the Biotech Industry! Does a great job of detailing where the industry is headed in the upcoming years.

51 - 62 of 62 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Rasťo J

May 08, 2018

the lectures about the structure of the medicines was a bit too much but over all quite good

By fosuprince

Nov 02, 2017

it an educative course. I luv it

By Rakesh P

Mar 15, 2018

this is really helpful for me for extra study

By Alex L

Jun 24, 2018

Gained a broad understanding of the biotechnology field (methods of production, formulation, ect)

By Ahmed I H A M

Jan 09, 2018

I really loved this course, I gained more knowledge in terms of general industrial biotechnology. However, It would be tremendously helpful to put some examples of applied techniques in production of bio medicines.

By Rute C

Oct 20, 2018

Several interesting topics are teached along the course, however the structure of the course seems to be a little bit disorganized in some of the weeks. Also, the videos could be more appealing.

By Aditya V

May 18, 2019

Good overview of industrial biotechnology. I especially enjoyed the modules on bioprocessing, they were general enough to teach broadly applicable concepts. The later modules were a little too specific for me.

By Prajwal K P

Jul 29, 2019

fairly inquisitive course, great insights of industrial processes and approaches.

By Anton Z

Sep 01, 2019

The course presents a comprehensive overview of significant Industrial Biotech achievements and most promising areas of study. The creators put great emphasis on genetic engineering opportunities. However, in the real enzyme world, true non-GMO enzymes can be perfectly applied in many cases, specifically in the food sector with very high yields and selectivity. I would love to see more specifics on how some certain enzymes were developed, how some certain genes were picked with a further tune-up of the downstream process. Overall, I enjoyed the course a lot, specifically the part about next-generation biofuels and biopharmaceutical synthesis.

By Álvaro L A

Nov 04, 2019

Quizás demasiado básico en algunos aspectos, y por otro lado también ofrece demasiado ejemplos concretos...Lo mejor la cantidad de temas que abarca

By Wong K H

May 16, 2018

Highly useful. But I wish there was an explanation for terms

By Rory H

Aug 22, 2019

Some lectures where very good and very well presented, Others where unfollowable and too hard for a 'Beginners' course