Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

JC

Apr 29, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

JQ

Aug 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and although I am not a chemist nor a research biotech guy, I am a dentist that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology. Thanks so much!

51 - 75 of 211 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Patel A R

Best course that provides the structure and applications with various day to day life examples, techiques of the Industrial biotechnology.

By Dr. K T

Apr 28, 2020

Extremely interesting course. Also very attractive due to examples of biotechnology examples of real industrial applications.

By Liliana D R

May 07, 2020

Me pareció bastante bueno en general, considero que falta tocar temas de edición genética y diseño de proteínas

By DEEPTHI B

Apr 19, 2020

The course was very useful as it gave insights to complex areas like synthetic biology in a simple way

By Irene A G

Jan 21, 2018

I am very satisfied with this course. It's been very interesting and helpful for my career development.

By Mwanza D

This program is awesome, i advise people out there to take a look at it, it will be very beneficial !!

By Rishabh H

This coure is realy helpful and almost contains everything related to biotechnology and its scope.

By Julie M

May 14, 2018

Great course as introduction to industrial biotechnology. More difficult than imagined initially.

By Tan P W

Oct 13, 2019

I enjoyed my time in studying this course.

The explanations were brief and easy to understand.

By Joyel J

May 23, 2020

The Online Classes are Perfect with Qualified Teachers.But the Course certificate is Pending

By N S S K

May 16, 2020

course was well designed and experts have delivered the contents in the most appropriate way

By 兰宇轩

Nov 11, 2018

It covers a lot of basic knowledge and concepts in IB, which is very friendly for beginners.

By SINY A V

I LEARNED A LOT ABOUT IT.I LEARNED HOW THEY USE BIOLOGICAL RESOURCES FOR INDUSTRIAL PROCESS

By THOTA S

It's a very good course...for people who are interested in production...and biotechnology

By Pandimadevi M

Nov 10, 2017

Excellent course , taught me the insights of many mechanisms,techniques, and applications

By wasana l f

Apr 29, 2020

This is very important course,its change my life.i learned lot of things in this course.

By Anjani D C

May 16, 2020

This course is well informative and enriched my concepts. The course is well designed

By eke k f

Sep 30, 2017

This course has really given me an insight about this course Industrial Biotechnology

By Dimitris S

Apr 17, 2020

Now I am sure that I want to do my master degree in Industrial Biotechnology!!!!

By Jonathan P

Apr 27, 2020

An excellent course was a great refresher course on Industrial biotechnology.

By Smith O

May 30, 2018

highly educative and insightful would love to take a course in Biotechnology

By Gaurav D M

Apr 11, 2020

knowledgeable section attaining . day to day life study biotechnology .

By Fahiatuzzaman S

Its a great course. I am very much pleased to complete this course.

By Mariia D

Jun 06, 2018

Great course, especially for those, who knows the matter a little.

By TAWFIK A M B A