Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by University of Toronto

This course will highlight the most interesting experiments within the field of psychology, discussing the implications of those studies for our understanding of the human mind and human behavior. We will explore the brain and some of the cognitive abilities it supports like memory, learning, attention, perception and consciousness. We will examine human development - both in terms of growing up and growing old - and will discuss the manner in which the behavior of others affect our own thoughts and behavior. Finally we will discuss various forms of mental illness and the treatments that are used to help those who suffer from them. The fact of the matter is that humans routinely do amazing things without appreciating how interesting they are. However, we are also routinely influenced by people and events without always being aware of those influences. By the end of this course you will have gained a much better understanding and appreciation of who you are and how you work. And I can guarantee you that you'll learn things that you'll be telling your friends and family about, things that will fundamentally change the way you think of yourself and others. How can you resist that?!...

HW

Feb 17, 2017

I loved every minute of this course! Professor Joordens was very engaging and it was set at just the right pace. I'm looking forward to my next course already! The discussion forums are very helpful.

EC

Dec 16, 2016

good course. suitable for starters. I learnt some basics and something interesting. I now can analyse some social events from the psychology point of view. I understand humanity a little bit better.

776 - 796 of 796 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By Irina K

Apr 08, 2019

Great course, very interesting material, excellent presentation by the professor. One thing I would improve are exams & assignments - they could have been more challenging.

By Balaji P

Apr 09, 2019

This was my first earnest attempt to learn theory behind why be behave who we behave. I am usually very interested in people, animals and cultures used to correlate what I observed and made my own analysis and interpretation. Last, 8 weeks of structured learning guided by Steve Joordens helped bring all of of it together and answered many of my questions that I never asked anyone! He has tried and I think, has succeeded to provide a good introduction to guide learners like me to our next stage of learning, which for me personally will be know more about Cognitive Science and application in Education. I enjoyed learning!

By Lim S C

May 14, 2019

Content is good but length of each video is too long.

By Coleman

Aug 17, 2019

Very engaging videos and animations, covered the field of psychology on a base level extremely effectively.

By Tom E

Aug 17, 2019

It is a good overview and introduction to psychology. Unfortunately the course has some outdated links and resources. With a slight update in some videos and sources, this course would be perfect.

By Joseph N

Aug 24, 2019

The peer reviews should be reduced to 1 or 2 because it is taking a long time especially in 2019

By Araceli

Nov 26, 2019

Es muy interesante y de gran aprendizaje, lo mejor es que puedo aprender a mi ritmo en donde sea y a la hora que sea, super recomendado

By Dina S F

Apr 11, 2017

I loved this course, mainly due to our wonderful Professor. He focused on very pertinent subjects in Psychology (I felt like we covered the highlights of a whole year worth of subjects in 10 weeks) AND he did it in a very engaging and fun way. In a nutshell, he is AWESOME!

What I did not like, which is also why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, is mainly due to organisational matters:

1) the course schedule does not follow the weeks as listed in Coursera which creates TOTAL confusion, and it can be very easily solved. At the very least, the mid-term and final exams should be placed after the correct weekly schedule. Right now it is shifted by a week (earlier)

2) The instructions about the peer assignments were not fully clear. I think also there, this is a quick fix and quick win. Simply adjusting the wording to better explain the process would help reduce questions on the forum.

3) There was almost no staff involvement in the forum. The responses were very far in between, which also made the forum discussions not as lively or exciting. I would have loved having the professor himself on the forum, or at least one of his assistants in the forum, sparking discussions, responding to threads etc. This was almost on existent.

So in short, I would highly recommend the course due to its content! But I also feel that there are organisational improvements, which if made, would make this course a true 5 star course!

By taymia e a

Dec 07, 2019

this mooc is extremely helpful

By ANITA K

Jan 13, 2019

The course is very basic and doesn't deal much with clinical psychology.

By Savannah M

Jan 15, 2018

Great!

By Pavithra. M

Apr 13, 2017

Good course, and the topics covered during the course sessions were very much enlightening.

By Tuukka J

Dec 10, 2017

Does give you a fine overview of basics in psychology. Would have appreciated more quizzes and less soapboxing during the lecture videos.

By Jiazhi G

Aug 21, 2017

The content is great. But I think we need quizzes every week plus midterm exam and final exam. It will help consolidating our learning. Putting all things about 50 questions in a midterm exam and final exam? That just won't work!

By Derek R

Apr 14, 2019

Not well presented lessons too long in most cases

By Komal A

Dec 24, 2017

Didn't find the course interesting

By Maria d L S C

Jun 18, 2017

This course is should be considered psychology 1 instead of introduction to psychology l.

I feel deceived, it's confusing, Coursera has denied my refund.

This is really bad, I feel disappointed, and want my money back,

Maria Chaves

By Janet T

Mar 29, 2017

did not like the course at all. That is why I decided to discontinue the course.

By klen j s t

Sep 15, 2018

coursera me parece una muy buena herramienta pero algunos cusos se encuentran cmpletamente en ingles y habemos personas que no sabemos bien el idioma entonces se nos dificulta aprender

By ssemugonda f

Apr 22, 2019

good

By Hasnaa

Sep 13, 2019

It was hard to sit through these endless monologues of a wanna be "MOOC cool" Professor. The content of most lectures is generic stuff one can find on the Internet. I did not learn anything new. Since I'd paid for the certificate, I thought I'd finish it. I urge Prof. Joordens (and fellow Canadian citizen) to take some Critical Theory courses and review some of his damaging statements about:

-Muslim women,

-"black" kids of Harlem,

-Schizophrenic homeless people "choosing to live in the streets and being unemployable because" [....Who would hire them?] (fyi: I live in Vancouver, BC)

-or the very poor presentation of the "theory of attraction". An age old unfunded theory presented as the sole work on the topic.

If Psychology is a science, then this course is not about Psychology. It is merely a wikipedia level of content. I am disappointed, but more than that, worried that an influential Professor of Psychology is lacking awareness of his own biases and is spreading this around. Is there anyone ever checking the content of these courses or do we just give these Professors license to say what they want.

Should we even care? I think we must.

A final note, the performative awesomeness of Canada and Canadians is plain repulsive. If this course is meant to reach out to everyone on the globe, can we please refrain from these nationalist comments on MOOC materials. It's is tasteless.