By Robert v d K•
Jul 20, 2022
Although the course is nicely put together, I found several shortcomings with it
1) There is some inbalance in week 1. Though the whole course is really simple, the part on SSH and portforwarding, especially also in the lab assignment was complicated
2) Because of my confusion in the lab assingment in week 1 I posed a question in the course forum. Unfortunately I did not get any response (no email anyway). Communication is for online courses key. That such was lacking here I found really disappointing
3) There is a lab assignment in (I believe it was) week 1 that is literally repeated in a later week
4) From week 3 onward the lab environment was missing linux commands like 'vim', although the instruction was to use 'vim'. In fact there was no linux editor at all, but the lab editor itself (which is ok of course, but then don't say we should use 'vim')
5) One of the instructions in the lab of week 4 was downright false: it said to count the uniq occurrences, but it really did a count of the bytes involved. I believe the word was SUN, so 4 bytes including the EOL character, so 4 * the total number of SUN
6) One last but important problem with the course: lack of stimulation. All the questions are way too simple, and practically all questions are already pre-answered.
By Nicolai V•
Nov 10, 2022
As a Data Scientist, I wanted to refresh my knowledge of bash scripting for data engineering. I was delighted by the curriculum and the instructor. It took me a few days to complete the course. This is an excellent course.
By Lisa R•
Aug 14, 2022
The instructors definitely know their stuff but 'instruction' requires more than knowledge or how to apply a template formulated by supposed education specialists. As an example, there was a lot of "...you can do this... and you could do that... and take a look at this and... " when what was needed was "... SSH stands for secure socket shell... " and "...it is called 'shell' because these environments are considered the 'outer-most' shell of the computer operating system which in this cas..." bla bla.
There is a reason why people who want to teach professionally go to school and learn about 'learning' and how humans learn things. Students reported errors (I too found some) - big and little ones.
Be prepared if you take this and these other Duke Data Engineering courses to do a lot of figuring out of stuff on your own.
Crowd sourced grading is not a good way to maintain and encourage ACCURACY at all. That's not a good use of such.
This course is needed but the course itself needs to be changed to reflect standards in learning and training.
By William R C•
Apr 23, 2022
Really a great course. Builds a solid foundation to quickly utilize more features of the OS and command lines. You may know many of the commands but it will really build on what you know and make it much easier and faster to get your work done. Highly recommended.
By Changchun J•
Apr 15, 2022
This is an excellent course. I learn a lot of practical skills. I learned Data science courses from UMICH and UCSD, but they focus on programming in notebook. This course fills the skill needed in cloud. Thank you Noah!
By Mohammad A P•
Oct 27, 2022
The instructor is Perfect. I am so much happy to take this course. There many nice points for learning even for those who have a background in Linux.
By Klaus N•
Jan 5, 2023
By Mostafa K•
Nov 26, 2022
It's very fantastic
By Jose R d A A•
Sep 23, 2022
By sisi L•
Oct 29, 2022
The course content is very informative and practical. One can use the skills mentioned in course immediatly in daily job. The instructor is a seasoned professional in film industry. He explained when and why to use what bash commands in an engaging and professional way. But in order to fully master this tool, Iearner definitely should do some extra reading and practice about the topic.
In general. this is a very cool course.
By Imad E•
Dec 3, 2022
The course is awesome, but it needs to re-sort the subjects of the course..
By Joel B•
May 24, 2022
While this course is informative. I do not find that the skills stick too well. There are no turn in assignments to better help understand the material.