Back to Introduction to Logic

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Logic by Stanford University

This course is an introduction to Logic from a computational perspective. It shows how to encode information in the form of logical sentences; it shows how to reason with information in this form; and it provides an overview of logic technology and its applications - in mathematics, science, engineering, business, law, and so forth....

JS

Aug 21, 2018

This course was so helpful. I think I now understand the fundamentals of mathematical logic. I truly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in studying logic!

SC

May 01, 2018

Pros:\n\n1.good contents\n\n2.good exercises and interesting puzzles\n\n3.good examples\n\nCons:\n\n1.No video\n\n2. need more examples

101 - 115 of 115 Reviews for Introduction to Logic

By Eduardo C

Nov 16, 2017

there is no videos, just texts... it's like to read a book, what's better than nothing

By Fabio G

Jan 15, 2017

Old style.

By Sean R

Apr 22, 2018

I cannot in good conscious give this course even remotely close to a good score. The information provided is "okay" at best for solving the problems. It's nothing special, but it does get the job done. Having said that, you're probably wondering why I would give this such a low score then?

The mathematical problems. The exercises are absolutely atrocious in their format, often resulting in highly un-intuitive methods needed to figure out how to submit your answers and needlessly clunky interfaces. It's absolutely unacceptable that I have to click on a different option to allow the assignment to register that I have finished my entry. Often times I'll find myself struggling simply to give an answer because the clicking process (for the Fitch system being the first example) to give the intended answer. This is exacerbated by the fact that when filling in problems. It expects EXACT answers including ensuring that you have kept the correct spacing as well with no ability to eliminate whitespace for your answers, resulting in a ton of confusion on whether you got an answer correct or incorrect based on the whims of the site itself.

Either make the problems simpler to answer, or have the answering format far less restrictive in this regard and more intuitive. I went through the first two weeks fine, but the later ones become incredibly irritating. To the point that I'm not finishing the course until these issues are fixed.

By Giorgio C

Sep 30, 2016

Personally, I strongly doubt that putting a bunch of slides and a few auto-graded exercises is the best way to learn about logic. Why then Stanford University doesn't just email his students this material and let them work on their own instead of doing lectures?

I don't see the added value at all. Apart from being able to discuss the topic in the forum with other online students, what's the advantage in comparison to buying a book and doing the exercises there?

This course to me started off with the wrong foot. No info on the starting date of the course until the end of September, when instead the course was supposed to start at the beginning of the month. And now the complete absence of videos. This to me seems more like a fuck up on the side of Coursera, which didn't find an agreement with Stanford University so no material had been produced until now. Then, in order not to completely ruin its reputation, Coursera put a bunch of slides calling it an online course and expecting people to buy this lie.

I might be wrong and this could be only my theory and nothing else, however, I won't recommend Coursera to anyone after this. Very bad feedback so far, and the funny thing is that I had big expectations before the start.

Hope this will be taken as constructive feedback and not as a complaint.

By Josh M

Sep 27, 2016

While the content of this course is interesting and well-structured, the way it's presented on Coursera has major problems.

As it stands, this is not really a Coursera course; it's simply a Coursera wrapper around some links to a third-party website. All of the things that make Coursera valuable - videos with inline quizzes, ability to download content, the exam format, peer assessment - are missing. In fact, having Coursera as a wrapper actually makes it more difficult to use, because additional clicks are required to access any resource, and nothing is accessible offline. If this course is to be offered on Coursera, it needs major rework to take advantage of the platform.

This is a real shame, because there is some great content here and obviously a lot of care has been taken to structure it carefully for the original Stanford course. For that reason, recommend using the Stanford web site directly.

By Stephen H

Jan 19, 2017

The course uses a clunky presentation software. Worse than Power Point. Some sections only have one slide and it takes longer to access the slide than it does to read it. There is talk about a book, but I didn't find one within the course. I didn't get past the second section. I figured if the rest of the course was the same, I'd be better off teaching myself with a text book.

By nilsocket

Feb 20, 2017

Really I haven't seen a course with slides till now,

No one will be interested to take a course like this, with some slides to read from.

By Charles-Elie P

Jan 10, 2017

The use of external tool for no good reason + the lack of written summary makes the course really hard to follow.

By tobin j v

Jan 09, 2018

The interface of the course is not as expected and it dampens my zeal for doing the course

By Wim

Apr 24, 2018

impossible course, bad examples, exercises not in accordance with the material.

By Liam O

May 29, 2018

It is literally a book. Transcripted into an online 'course'.

By Andrew T

Jul 22, 2017

Dont Understand. embarassing..

By Wenchen L

Jan 24, 2019

no video, only external link

By Gavin K