Back to Approaching Music Theory: Melodic Forms and Simple Harmony

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Approaching Music Theory: Melodic Forms and Simple Harmony by California Institute of the Arts

This course is about how music works. It is about the relationship between the technical and aesthetic details of music. It is also about how developing a meaningful theoretical vocabulary can help you think and talk about musical style, and how learning that vocabulary can expand your appreciation for music. In this course you will learn music theory not by looking at theory itself, but by listening to, looking at, and—yes!—writing your own musical examples. By hearing, seeing, and writing yourself, you will learn about classical, modern, ancient, pop, jazz, and folk styles. Through lectures, relevant examples, and numerous practice assignments, we will examine fundamental aspects of melody. We will move into working with two voices and counterpoint, and finally to three voices and the beginnings of harmonic function. This is an intermediate-level course for musicians and composers who already have some understanding of music theory through previous study. If you are a musician or composer looking to build a deeper understanding of music theory for composing, performing, or improvisation, you have come to the right place. If you are an amateur lover of music or, perhaps, play a musical instrument and want to develop a deeper sense of appreciation for music theory, aesthetics, and history, you are also in the right place!...

TB

Sep 12, 2019

Fantastic course! This course approaches music theory from a totally different angle. Hear it first and then look at the music score.

WS

Sep 17, 2019

I'm Chinese, and not good at English. But with a dict in my hand, I enjoyed a lot in this course. Thanks the teacher very much.

1 - 12 of 12 Reviews for Approaching Music Theory: Melodic Forms and Simple Harmony

By Ben N

Jun 30, 2019

ALL THE STARS!

Shout to Sam L. for the hookup with this class. Learned a lot! I really feel primed for my education and then some! A lot more than I bargained for. And of course I want to get to CalArts even more.. you lovely jerks!

Thanks!

By Mary C d C P J

Jul 17, 2019

If you want to learn about melody this is the perfect course. I totakky recommend it.

By Suzi H

Aug 06, 2019

I really like the Teacher in this course. He is knowledgeable and funny. He seems to really enjoy what he does. I wish I had more teachers that were this engaging. I also enjoy the subject matter. Since learning the piano for 8 years Theory is starting to click. I'm hoping this class will help me to go further in my music studies.

By Chris

Aug 09, 2019

I very much enjoyed this course. However, I will need more practice before I will automatically see all these things in the music I am studying.

I chose it primarily for the harmony part. I was pleasantly

surprised how helpful the first two weeks were for my general understanding of music and how the pointers

really helped me for composing music. I feel much more structured and oriented now, should I endeavour in writing music.

It also helped my analytical skills a lot. This is mostly due to the peer review assignments I had to review. This role change brought me a further understanding on the concepts treated in class.

As for counterpoint and harmony, it was a good start. I fell in love with counterpoint in particular and maybe got a bit addicted.

The harmony part was interesting to me - however, I feel we rushed a bit through the concepts. I would love to deepen my understanding there. this section could benefit from more exercises, not only the finals.

Also, the part tested in the finals is a very small aspect of what was treated in that lecture - to really understand the lecture I would like some more assignments.

If there is a follow-up course

available, I would be extremly interested!

On the structure& formal things:

I think the structure over all was very good. The "see one-do one-teach one" principle is very well applied and the course offers maximum teaching success given its online, remote form.

The questions in the forum were always answered quickly and well so.

To my feeling, the course's concept suffers a bit from the relatively low number of participants. In particular in week 3 & 4 there are not enough projects to review. I suggest that older projects from former students are still available to the new ones

as to counteract this partiular issue.

The class is definitely for people who have already practised music over several years and have had basic theory education. Otherwise, the exercises, especially imitating composing styles, would be nearly impossible with only the instructions given.

The hours indicated are but an indication. Writing music AND reviewing other people's music takes more time. In week 4 had to stop the video repeatedly to catch up with what was discussed and write down my thoughts, needed ca double the time.

Especially week 2 + 3 kicked my butt time-wise.

I was irked by the strong use of spotify and the link to academia.edu. The latter appears untrustworthy from the amount of data it collects from its users, and spotify also needs an account. Given that this class is an education, I would appreciate open source/open access platforms or simply hosting the music on coursera.

As a lost note, about week 1.5 I got used to the instructors humour and now it is an integral part of the fun in the class for me. Help!

By Tony B

Sep 12, 2019

By Wang S

Sep 17, 2019

By Dennis T R

Sep 02, 2019

Clear and informative. A little background in music theory will make the content easier to understand and apply. The focus is unique and generates thought. Music theory can be fun for everyone. Thanks.

By vinicius g d m

Oct 30, 2019

excelente conteúdo, abrangente, profundo e simples.

By Joy S

May 06, 2019

I thought I left a review for this. Strange.

By József P

Sep 10, 2019

Completely different approach of teaching music theory. Even if you already studied music theory it is worth to take this course. It really goes deeply into our music recognition and creation process.

By Richard G

Dec 02, 2019

Material was worthwhile. Instructor engaging.

By Andreas L

May 31, 2019

annoying, everything. The prof, the whole approach, ...