Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 2)

The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 2), Wesleyan University

About this Course

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

By CM

Mar 12, 2016

Sad to see it end. I loved this course. I thought Professor Roth was a great guide. As I've completed Part 2 I am tempted to go listen to the lectures all over again. This hooked me on MOOCs. 6 stars.

By SC

Oct 25, 2015

The course is great . I am not a humanities student and english is not my first language , so I find writing essays difficult. I wish there were some easier tests along side the essays. Thank you.

55 Reviews

By Peter Finfrock

Dec 16, 2018

Excellent course from an accomplished scholar, presents insights about his subject matter from all different points of view.

By Olga Merekina

Aug 16, 2018

Thank you for this inspiring diving into modern and postmodern philosophy. It helped a lot with filling gaps and providing new leads to develop and research

By Allan Melorin Abiera

Jun 07, 2018

Amazing content!

By amanda mears

May 29, 2018

amazing lectures and challenging essay topics that really help you absorb the material.

By Gerard MacMullin

Apr 12, 2018

I came away from the course with a much better understanding of why the world is the way it is today. The diversity of thought offered by great thinkers in featured readings is amazing. Highly recommended!

By Susannah Rosenberg

Feb 01, 2018

After my experience on Part 1, I chose to only watch the lectures. I really enjoyed them. Prof Roth's delivery is excellent. The course gave me much food for thought, but I couldn't face writing the essays.

The reading timings should be set to more realistic values, to give us students a true idea of what we are committing to.

By Sankar Varma

Jan 07, 2018

A very enlightening approach showering rich content through diverse methodologies. Thanks a lot

By Ritoban Das

Nov 04, 2017

It was a great learning experience.

By Paccelli José Maracci Zahler

Oct 23, 2017

Excellent!

By Sebastián Moglia Claps

Sep 22, 2017

Excellent course, thank you very much Michael for this.