Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 2)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 2) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

CM

Mar 12, 2016

Sad to see it end. I loved this course. I thought Professor Roth was a great guide. As I've completed Part 2 I am tempted to go listen to the lectures all over again. This hooked me on MOOCs. 6 stars.

SC

Oct 25, 2015

The course is great . I am not a humanities student and english is not my first language , so I find writing essays difficult. I wish there were some easier tests along side the essays. Thank you.

51 - 62 of 62 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 2)

By Bryan m

Oct 23, 2017

Excellent!

By Susannah R

Feb 01, 2018

After my experience on Part 1, I chose to only watch the lectures. I really enjoyed them. Prof Roth's delivery is excellent. The course gave me much food for thought, but I couldn't face writing the essays.

The reading timings should be set to more realistic values, to give us students a true idea of what we are committing to.

By Emmanouil P

Apr 04, 2017

I quite appreciate the teaching of American philosophers, like Emerson or Rorty.

By İLKİN B

Oct 20, 2015

The instructer is not fluid, a "mentor" is devoid of critical thinking in communicating through the discussions section, the peers are reviewing haphazardly while "mentors" offer their own essays (from the past?) where they use material outside of the course readings which may sound plagiarizing after that long warning in each introductory section for writing assignements.

By Nicholas K

Mar 01, 2016

Slow start to week 1 but 'The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 2) is a continuation to 'The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) so best to understand (part 1). Looking forward to week 2.

By Sang Y D

Mar 25, 2016

I advice NOT to take this course.

Why: the professor is never there to read your assignments. He leaves that totally to other students like yourself, to grade your written assignments, and, they do not read and give you a RANDOM grade in 2 seconds.

Don't take it, you will waste sooo much time on this one.

By Richard B

Sep 12, 2015

Mr Roth is woefully unprepared for this course, his assessments of the several artists and thinkers he explores are deeply and distressingly flawed - and why would he repeat in a classroom, with unbecoming histrionics, the same lesson he's just delivered from his office

By Michael N R

Jun 13, 2016

Not as advertized and way too much peer rating stuff--we do all the work the instructor does little or none--too much peer raqting stuff which I despise. And there seems to be no way to un-enroll.