Back to Mountains 101

Mountains 101, University of Alberta

About this Course

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

By SK

Dec 23, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

By AB

Jun 22, 2017

This is a very comprehensive and interesting presentation of the place mountain occupy in our social, economical, and spiritual life. I definitely would enjoy visiting the Canadian Rockies.

253 Reviews

By Daniel Campos

Mar 15, 2019

The best course out there for Mountain aficionados. Looking forward to taking Mountains 102.

By Tara McDermott

Mar 15, 2019

I absolutely loved this course! It was interested, informative, and engaging. I wish ALL my courses were like this one!

By Abby

Mar 12, 2019

Informative and interesting!

By Natalie Viklund

Mar 03, 2019

Fantastic Course! I

By Harry Hirsch

Feb 26, 2019

Besides giving you a thorough explanation of mountains, it opens your eyes to all the famous places ( mountains) in the world. I think you look at the world differently after this course.

By Krish Rao

Feb 22, 2019

Great introductory course on Mountains. Thank you very much.

By Ryan

Feb 21, 2019

Great course!

By Jingtian ZHANG

Feb 16, 2019

The course is very good!

By Bo Percival

Feb 13, 2019

What an amazing course. So much time effort and thought was put into this course. The quality of the content was amazing and as a lover of mountains I found this so interesting. Above all, the passion that went into this course made it perfect. Now when I'm in the mountains I enjoy the even more! Oh and the last video...nice touch! ;)

By Joan Vendrell Marce

Feb 08, 2019

Amazing! I enjoyed and learned a lot, thanks!