Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

SK

Dec 23, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

JJ

Aug 01, 2020

Incredibly well-produced set of videos that are highly educational, well-rounded, beautiful, and interesting. I hope it leaves you wanting to both visit and protect these places, as it did for me.

201 - 225 of 643 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Michael W

Jan 10, 2018

Very interesting course, with excellent presenters. Having grown up in the small mountains of Cumbria (The English Lake District) it was very impressive to see and learn about the big mountain ranges of the world. Thank you!

By Dr.Shailashree S

Jul 20, 2020

Thank you professors, the videos are so awesome that I felt like I am watching them really, so beautiful scenes of mountains and all other pictures, really enjoyed and seen all the videos completely, hats off to you sirs.

By Eamon H

Jul 15, 2020

Great course covering a wide range of topics concerning mountains from physical geography, climate and biodiversity to human perspectives. Would highly recommend this course for anyone with an interest in mountain landscapes.

By Lydia W

Jun 19, 2020

Mountains 101 was a pleasure to learn during lockdown. The videos were well paced and informative, and the lecturers and guest speakers were all brilliant. I'm really sad to have finished! Thank you (from Manchester, England)

By Shubham S

Aug 23, 2020

outstanding experience , should be made available in multiple languages across the world specially in Asian countries at school level to educate young students to join forces against climate change and increasing pollution.

By Brice P

Jan 27, 2018

Really good content and very interesting. The tech tips are a little vapid for the average outdoors person, but a good try to add something different.

My favorite was the module on altitudes effects and adaptations on humans

By Matúš S

Sep 02, 2017

Excellent course, it provides very good information about mountains from various perspectives. I will make sure to go through this course once again in the future and get the certificate! Thank you for making Mountains 101.

By Arenell R

Sep 22, 2020

I have completed 8 courses from various institutions over the past year and have found this course by far the best! I enjoyed the variety of aspects covered in much detail and inputs from different experts in their fields.

By Robert S

Jun 13, 2020

I only wish there were a Mountains 102, 103, and more from the same University of Alberta team. I may suffer from withdrawal symptoms.....though a run in my local mountains after passing the last test was some consolation!

By Jan E

May 13, 2020

great multidisciplinary information in a appealing package, paired with relaxing mountain vistas - almost like a small vacation including interpretative hikes with park rangers, while I'm physically stuck at home - thanks!

By Svetlana R

Mar 13, 2017

Learned a lots of really interesting infomation about mountains. Thanks a lot, it was realy beautiful and breathtaking adventure and I was sad it's finished - like I always feel when my journey somewhere comes to the end.

By AREZIA G

Oct 18, 2020

I really (really really) enjoyed this course. Very well structured, never boring and with a lot of unexpected topics.

Honestly the best course i have taken and to be 100% honest now that I completed the course I am sad.

By Ang C C

May 03, 2020

This is a multi-disciplinary course and I really enjoyed it as we learned various topics concerning mountains, glaciers, and the importance of mountain. I am pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this course is in fact.

By Mitch B

Feb 28, 2017

Great course and very well presented. Sometimes I spent more time looking at the spectacular pictures than listening to the instructors. I live near Banff National Park in Canmore so I recognized a lot of the pictures.

By rohan b

Jun 14, 2020

Dear Team,

Greetings!

Thank you for giving the opportunity to complete this course.However, I would be highly appreciate if you kindly award me a certificate for the same.

Rohan Bagwe,

Mumbai, India

rohanbagwe29@gmail.com

By Tracey G

Aug 30, 2020

The excellent course instructors made great use of media, examples, and locations. I especially appreciated the wide variety of inputs and interviews.

Like enjoying a very good book, I was sad when it came to the end.

By Lauren

Apr 16, 2020

A very interesting, enjoyable and beautiful course about Mountains. The instructors are first class. The course materials are wonderful, and the interdisciplinary approach is a real bonus. Highly recommended course.

By MOHAMMED S C

May 15, 2020

I understand more significance’s of mountains that give to our environment in a well explained scientific way.

This course make me much lover of mountains.

Tech tips program are good informative one for mountaineers.

By Meenal S D

Aug 21, 2020

An excellent course for Mountain and nature lovers. Very well structured.

Would love to learn more, through a series of more courses dedicated to

detailed study of Mountains in different continents of the world.

By Patricio N

Apr 19, 2020

Very interesting. It is great to get inspired by people who love mountains. Think about a National Park series documentary. The tips and the interactive map was a very nice touch. I highly recommend this course.

By Alex C

May 08, 2020

I really enjoyed this course :-) The enthusiasm of the teachers and the content were a joy. I learnt many weird and wonderful things, many thanks for this excellent course...i look forward to any follow ups!!!

By Vanessa A

Apr 15, 2020

Such a fun and interesting course! I loved how the instructors included different disciplines in the importance of mountains and the interactive map was an awesome way to learn about mountains I never knew.

By Benoit W

Apr 12, 2020

A wonderful all-rounded course that transported me into the magical and precious world of mountains, and reinforced my desire to learn, understand and enjoy being in them going forward. Thank you very much!

By Albert

Apr 08, 2018

Congratulations for this excellent course! And congratulations for your excellent Canada Prime Minister! it was a surprise to heard him! An exemple to follow for the rest of politicians around the world :-)