Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

SK

Dec 23, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

JJ

Aug 01, 2020

Incredibly well-produced set of videos that are highly educational, well-rounded, beautiful, and interesting. I hope it leaves you wanting to both visit and protect these places, as it did for me.

251 - 275 of 629 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Mohamed M A E

Jan 30, 2019

I really enjoyed sharing and following this wonderful course. Very well designed, organized and professionally presented.

Many thanks and hope to see you again in another course.

May 01, 2018

What a great course. On top of learning a lot about mountains, there are suggestions for extra resources (articles, books, videos) at the end of every week's worth of material.

By Marian Z

Jun 28, 2020

I've loved everything about this course. And you can learn quite a lot from 12 lessons.

Thanks to professor Hik and professor Robinson the lessons are very easy to understand.

By Randy S

Aug 10, 2017

This course was my perfect re-introduction to learning. I haven't taken courses for approximately 20+ years and Mountains 101 was fun and engaging. Recommended to everyone.

By Pooja S

Mar 30, 2020

I thank Dr Zac Robinson and Dr David Hik for teaching extraodinarly. I thank coursera for having this topic. I love mountains and after learning this subject i love it more.

By William R N J

Aug 25, 2017

Great course, the best I've seen on Coursera. I'm now starting University of Alberta's Dino 101 course and look forward to other offerings from the University of Alberta.

By kana k

Apr 18, 2017

I really enjoed each lessons and I've gotten much more interested in mountains around the world. I'll review all lessons again to make my understanding more deep and solid

By Faiz A R

All in all, this course has been amazing! It is a well-made course that approaches mountains from various perspective. Would recommend outdoor lovers to take this course!

By Tatiany P V

May 09, 2017

Foi o curso on-line mais incrivel que eu já realizei!! Parabens a todos!! As videos aulas, o cenario, a musica, o conteudo e explicacao. Simplismente demais!! Incrivel!!!

By Annesha K G

Mar 07, 2017

Brilliant course on mountain. Learned many things from hiking to living of animals & human beings. Thank you Coursera & University of Alberta. Thanks for the certificate.

By Jojo N P

Jun 06, 2020

It was absolutely a fascinating experience. Highly recommended. Thanks a lot for everyone behind this amazing course. I cannot wait for my first mountain expedition now!

By Chris H

Really well put together with a great variety of content and contributions from experts. Good graphics to help explain points and a variety of ways to store information.

By Osama M W M

so far one of the best courses I have ever attended, it is well prepared and well explained as well and it always made me feel just like watching a movie .. AWESOME :D

By Monika K

Apr 25, 2020

beautiful pictures. practical information. great players. thank you very much. I love mountains and hiking and this course allowed me to understand and feel them more

By Tara E

Oct 08, 2019

I really enjoyed this course, especially leaning about plant and animal adaptations to mountain living, and the actions Parks Canada has taken to protect biodiversity

By Les O

Aug 10, 2017

This is a very good course for everyone who loves mountains. It provides amazing view points and a lot of insight for mountains, not only in Canada, but also the worl

By Ricardo M

Apr 18, 2020

Great course! Good introduction to the mountain environment, but you'll have to do more reading if you want deeper information on things such as geology and ecology.

By Laurens N

Sep 09, 2020

In short: great course.

Perfect upgrade of previous knowledge, incentive to get back into academic approach of mountains once again as well as professional.

Thanks!!!

By Aaron D

Jul 12, 2017

I enjoyed every aspect of this course! I used to be an avid mountaineer and climber and this has reinstated my love of mountains and my desire to get back to them!

By Gabriel t

Mar 21, 2017

Great Course! had a blast listening to the interesting and interactive lectures. The quiz at the end provided a good way to recap the knowledge gained. Good work

By RADHA K S

Jul 16, 2020

Intricate knowledge on mountains and and the adaptations of the various species. This is an extraordinary course. Thanks to the Instructors and course designers

By Stephanie S

May 08, 2020

Thank you so much, the course was great. I learnt a lot amount mountain safety, weather, and how to better appreciate the mountains that I call home and cherish.

By Lisa A

Apr 09, 2020

Very interesting, wide ranging and easy to understand content. I learned a lot, and was reminded of a lot I already knew about mountains and mountain habitat.

By Catheryn F

Mar 16, 2018

Excellent course. So thankful it was free to audit this one, or I may not have done it. Helps me appreciate why caring for the environment is so important.

By Kimmo K

Apr 29, 2020

A truly fascinating course, strongly suggested to anyone interested in gaining basic understanding of the various aspects of the topic. Thank You very much!