Back to Fundamentals of Rehearsing Music Ensembles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Rehearsing Music Ensembles by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Learn and practice the basic principles of running an effective music ensemble rehearsal. Techniques and strategies are applicable to a variety of ensembles, including bands, orchestras, choirs, and chamber groups....

Sep 11, 2017

This was an interesting and very useful course. Directors responsible for rehearsing ensembles will enjoy learning techniques, and even experienced conductors will benefit from revision and sharing.

TB

Aug 28, 2015

This is a great course and also flexible to needs of students. If you get behind, the course is built to help you get back on track. I find this extremely helpful with a busy and irregular schedule.

51 - 75 of 86 Reviews for Fundamentals of Rehearsing Music Ensembles

By Andrés M E A

Nov 04, 2018

Learned a LOT with this. Dr. Evan Feldman gave so many fresh ideas and effective as well. Take the chance! it's a great course.

By Emilson A V

Nov 30, 2018

Wonderful course. I am loving it.

By Maestro J

May 11, 2019

This is what I always needed. Conducting skills are very well taught. I wish there was more choral stuff, but the same things can be applied to choral groups.

By Yoma K

May 05, 2019

I love the course! Liked the humorous answers for the quizzes.

By Tan K L G

May 26, 2019

I'm currently working as a primary school CCA violin teacher. I think it is fun to teach primary school student violin and also to conduct the Strings Ensemble. This course has taught me a lot about how to conduct and rehearse.

By Lic. L C V

Jun 01, 2019

Un curso muy agradable, donde pude aprender bastante acerca de conducir orquestas y coros, cualquier ensamble. Me gusto mucho

By Gabriele D

Aug 05, 2019

Thanks, it was a great course!

By Ricardo S R

Aug 09, 2019

Greate course to show the bassics of conducting. Also you get a lot of ideas for beign a better teacher as many things on aproaching an ensemble can be apllied to an instrument class.

By Donghan Z

Apr 14, 2017

It is definitely the best online musical course that I've ever taken. The professor is so great that he makes the video very interesting. Plenty of content and knowledge are coved in this course. I learned a lot of basic conducting skills which are fundamental to my dream of being an orchestral conductor. I strongly recommend you to take this course.

By Gerald W

Aug 17, 2015

Phenomenal course. Here Dr. Feldman and his associates in the music program take more than 25 combined years of experience equipping students with core fundamentals to get started as a conductor or musical director.

By Mario A L C

Jul 04, 2018

Excellent work

By Melissa Z

Jun 17, 2017

This course was fantastic with helping me to learn additional rehearsal techniques. While I own and direct a big band not everything can be applied to my ensemble but, it has made a great difference when working with the group.

By Giorgio Z

Sep 08, 2017

A highly instructional course with plenty of professional tips about rehearsing a music ensemble. Also, this course features a well-structured programme that successfully tackles the complex world of ensemble conducting. Highly recommended!

By Ognjen Š

Jan 18, 2018

I really like the course and I am midway through. The professor simply dissects and dives into every single little thing you need to know about the rehearsing and conducting. One of really interesting ideas I learnt so far are macro-micro-macro which feels so natural once explained, but I am not sure if I would ever come up with it myself. The other interesting thing is 10 rules to assess the quality of a musical piece... Btw, I am not a conductor, neither am I going to be. I am just a decent amateur musician who is exploring the course.

By Sandy S

Sep 11, 2017

By Julia K W

Feb 26, 2017

This class was truly wonderful and Dr. Feldman did a teriffic job in presenting the information in an organized and interesting way, as well as provide practical examples and a pethora of helpful tips and tricks in rehearsals as well as regarding Conducting Technique. I'd recommend this class to any musician who wants to refresh their conducting skills or someone who wants to learn conducting for the first time. It was super and has helped improve my conducting abilities in addition to my basic musicianship in an ensemble setting tremendously- thank you so much Dr. Feldman!!

By Cleave L

Dec 28, 2016

This is a wonderful course for getting insights on what is Rehearsals, what to achieve and how to achieve. I've learned a lot of techniques, insights and knowledge about musical rehearsals and making music too.

I strongly recommend this to those who love making music and would like to know more about making music and ensemble music.

Thank you so much Dr. Feldman for this wonderful course.

By Raphael A D R

May 02, 2016

Very well-explained course, with essential details and different points of view by other conductors who live different contexts in conducting types. Excellent.

By Anne E

Feb 26, 2016

As an amateur musician, this thoughtful and in-depth course has illuminated causes of perplexing situations that I've experienced under conductors, provided a mirror of mistakes in my own playing and outlined remedies for correction. A growing awareness provided by these video sessions will improve not only conducting skills, but sharpen my attention to playing and observing detail as well. I can't thank you enough.

A Erickson (F horn / trumpet)

By Robert M M

Aug 15, 2016

Not only great strategies for rehearsing ensembles. Dr. Feldman also provides a great primer for new conductors.

By Valerie Z

Jul 07, 2019

This is a wonderful course for introducing and improving conducting skills. The lectures are well planned out, and the skills and techniques are reiterated for choral, and orchestral as well as a regular wind band.

By Juanjo R C

Jan 03, 2019

Bien, se agradece

By Hackett

Jun 24, 2017

I enjoyed the course. I found the rehearsal videos helpful, especially the fact that several different ensembles were used. I would have perhaps preferred some quizzes in the middle of the week to pace the video watching a bit more, but everything was very helpful. Thank you!

By Peter S

Jun 18, 2018

I thought it was a well presented course which covered many useful and relevant topics. My only real criticism is with the recordings of some of the rehearsals where the quality of the sound track is not always clear and I felt that a few of the clips could have been shorter. Also, as someone from the UK, I occasionally had slight difficulty following a few of the references to rhythmic note values. To be honest, even the term fermata was fairly new to me since here the term "pause" is far more common.Thank you for putting the course material online.

By Emma W

Apr 07, 2016

Great insight into conducting for people at all levels. It's invaluable as a musician to have as many skills up your sleeve as possible and that's what this course helps with. The video lessons are quite long, but the multiple choice quizzes more than make up for that where other courses have little content and lots of complicated technology requests for submitting assignments. Perfect!