Back to Musicianship: Chord Charts, Diatonic Chords, and Minor Keys

Musicianship: Chord Charts, Diatonic Chords, and Minor Keys, Berklee College of Music

About this Course

After a tremendous response from learners on Coursera, Berklee Online has created a Developing Your Musicianship specialization, and this course is the second course in the series. If you have a basic knowledge of music theory or if you have completed Developing Your Musicianship I, this course will continue to help you understand key musical concepts, enabling you to create and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes four lessons that delve into the next level of harmony and ear training. The course will introduce you to new key signatures, including minor tonalities, and how they are constructed. You will train your ear to hear minor intervals and 7th chords. You will learn how to build 7th chords, and how to build common chord progressions. You will also learn the major pentatonic scale and how to construct melodies using this scale. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform an 8-measure composition using popular chord progressions and the Major pentatonic scale. Just like Developing Your Musicianship I, the course is designed to impart the joy of creating music and sharing it with others....

By HH

Feb 16, 2017

very cool professor ..feel so happy and good to see you smile while teaching sir.\n\nit was great learning all the music concepts with you in musicianship 2\n\nvery well designed.thank you

By AK

Nov 28, 2016

This is a solid follow-up to Developing Your Musicianship. Anyone who enjoyed that course and wants to continue down that path should feel at home here.

64 Reviews

By luuk swinkels

Apr 19, 2019

Simply amazing

By Ash Lyons

Mar 11, 2019

Absolutely incredible! Super helpful!

By Rai Sánchez Soriano

Feb 13, 2019

rocks!!!

By Deleted Account

Feb 07, 2019

This course was a lot of work, and at times I thought I was in over my head, but I stuck with it, and I am so glad that I did. I felt extremely accomplished when I finished composing my 8-Measure Song for the final. I was able to not only create the music, but I was also able to correctly notate it, which is something that I had been struggling with.

By DOUGLAS E. OLIVARES Ch.

Feb 04, 2019

It´s an excellent course and the teacher is very good teacher.

By Sveinbjorn Olafsson

太牛了!

和这个老师学用不了多长时间就能写歌!

By María Jimena Cortina Baldioceda

Jan 25, 2019

I love professor Russell's style and simplicity! Mandatory fun :D This course has helped me finally "click" years of theory as a working musician.

By Théo Tavernier

Jan 07, 2019

Amazing!

By Jonathan Cline IEEE

Dec 25, 2018

This course is False and Deceptive Advertising from both coursera and berklee because it lists the level of experience as beginner and "takes 3-5 hr/week" of homework. This is absolutely false and deceptive. It takes far more experience and more hours of work per week than just "3-5". I sent feedback to coursera support about this and they directly admitted that the work was purposely listed that way to attract more students to sign up for the class even though they would not be able to finish properly, /and/ they said they would not change this to reflect the reality of the course. FALSE ADVERTISING. If you can get past that, the course content and structure is very good...but it is impossible to accomplish without experience and more anywhere from 10-25 hours per week (no exaggeration) of homework. 25 hours per week means: 1 hr practice per day, 1 hr study per day (that's 14 hrs per week) PLUS about 4-8 hours on average for the weekly project (more, for the final project).