Back to Musicianship: Tensions, Harmonic Function, and Modal Interchange

Musicianship: Tensions, Harmonic Function, and Modal Interchange, Berklee College of Music

About this Course

After a tremendous response from learners on Coursera, Berklee Online has created a Developing Your Musicianship specialization, and this course is the third course in the series. If you have a general understanding of music theory or if you have completed Developing Your Musicianship I and II, this course will continue to help you understand musical concepts, enabling you to create and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes four lessons that delve into an intermediate level of harmony and ear training. The course will introduce you to new key signatures, and explore how they are constructed. You will continue to train your ear, learning to differentiate between the various intervals and chords that were explored in Developing Your Musicianship I and II. You will learn how to borrow chords from parallel tonalities (modal interchange), and how to write more common chord progressions. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a composition using popular chord progressions. As with Developing Your Musicianship I and II, this course is designed to share the joy of creating music....

By DA

Feb 10, 2019

I have grown so much musically since taking this specialization. I look forward to taking everything I've learned here, and using it to advance my musical career. I am so excited and proud of myself!

By SS

Jan 19, 2017

This class was fantastic! George is an amazing instructor. For all aspiring musicians, take the four classes in Coursera/Berklee Online's Developing your Musicianship Specialization. Excellent!!

52 Reviews

By elvis yungan

Apr 24, 2019

extraordinary great many thanks to everyone who made it possible

By luuk swinkels

Mar 28, 2019

Excellent course!

By Sveinbjorn Olafsson

Mar 03, 2019

Beautiful. Thank you for giving out such a high end teaching method for so little. I could afford it! Peace!

By Roberta Kelly

Feb 14, 2019

Excellent course - helped me fill some of the holes in my music theory knowledge base.

By Deleted Account

Feb 10, 2019

By Kaori Hilton

Jan 16, 2019

On top of being able to learn things I've been wishing to know for my entire life, working on these courses is a great test for how I can deal with projects beside my daily routine. I've learnt a great deal about how to set my mind for the dues and to manage and create time to work on these projects.

By Théo Tavernier

Jan 14, 2019

Awesome!

By Lola Akwabi

Nov 25, 2018

I had a wonderful experience during this course. Lots of new knowledge acquired in chord progressions. I also now have a much better understanding of chord relations and 7ths. Thank you so much, Professor Russell, for your love of music, and for being such an effective teacher!