Back to Making Sense of the News: News Literacy Lessons for Digital Citizens

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Making Sense of the News: News Literacy Lessons for Digital Citizens by The University of Hong Kong

Never before has the need for News Literacy been more urgent. As news consumers are bombarded with a constant stream of fake news, propaganda, hoaxes, rumors, satire, and advertising — that often masquerade as credible journalism — it is becoming more and more difficult to distinguish fact from fiction. While the public’s faith in the news media erodes, purveyors of misinformation have helped give rise to troubling cultural trends and alarming political movements. This six-week course will help learners develop their critical thinking skills to enable them to better identify reliable information in news reports and to become better informed about the world in which we live. The course will discuss the key elements of journalism from the viewpoint of the news audience. The language of instruction is English, but Chinese and Spanish subtitles will be available. Each week will tackle a challenge unique to the digital era: Week 1: The power of information is now in the hands of consumers. Week 2: What makes journalism different from other types of information? Week 3: Where can we find trustworthy information? Week 4: How to tell what’s fair and what’s biased. Week 5: How to apply news literacy concepts in real life. Week 6: Meeting the challenges of digital citizenship....

RA
Jul 23, 2017

Very informative and clear and there are some assignments to make us understand more. But there are too many links that we have to read, I prefer the video and examples and assignments.

AF
Apr 1, 2020

very good course, with tons of reference resources. I've learned a lot and felt a door opened in front me toward the world of news literacy and perception of real journalism.

26 - 50 of 51 Reviews for Making Sense of the News: News Literacy Lessons for Digital Citizens

By Tomas B M

Sep 27, 2017

Excellent, short and concise. Offers clear and usable methods for critical thinking.

By Shambhu N

Jun 26, 2021

It was helpful in developing sense of media literacy.

Recommending it to friends.

By Francis M

Feb 5, 2021

This course is excellent. Concepts were explained clearly with relevant examples.

By Denis C

Dec 28, 2018

Excelente curso para empezar a analisar noticias en los medios de comunicación!

By Assem I

Nov 21, 2020

Great course to cultivate media literacy skills. Full of real-life cases.

By Ionut M C

Jun 2, 2021

T​his should be mandatory for any social media user nowadays :)

By Nandana J

May 23, 2020

It helped me a lot to know about my favourite topic.Thank u...

By Goher I P

Nov 11, 2019

simply the brilliant course and intellectual instructors.

By mariela v

Jun 11, 2017

It is an essencial course for any responsible citizen

By Dainius

Jan 19, 2021

Very good introductory course. Strongly recommend.

By JESUS G D

Jun 7, 2020

Amazing and marvelous course, i will recommend it.

By Ervin J D P

Aug 19, 2020

Video lectures are very engaging and informative!

By Sherrin G J P

Apr 30, 2020

It was a good and knowledgeable course

By Nikko D M

Feb 13, 2019

nice

By ADARSH A 1

Mar 22, 2021

The course helped me gain beginner level knowledge in journalism. It helped me gain insights into verifying news reports and identifying reliability of the sources used. I got to learn a lot. Being a news consumer, the course has helped me to attain news literacy skills and become a better news audience.

By SIGY G

Dec 16, 2020

Excellent course. The modules are well designed and the recommended resources provide additional information about each module. I feel I am now better skilled at News Literacy. Thank you teachers and instructors for designing the course.

By Tsionawit F Z

Jan 2, 2021

Great course! I have gained lots of knowledge and critical thinking skills from it. Has Loads of reading materials apart from lectures.

By Mary S

Mar 23, 2017

Really enjoyed this course. Lots of good information on how to identify fake news.

By Huang W

Very information and the materials are quite useful

By Abdulrahman A

Oct 9, 2017

rich of information and methods

By Nakul k M

Jan 14, 2021

I have to take another courses but unfortunately taken