Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

Course Description What is our role in the universe as human agents capable of knowledge? What makes us intelligent cognitive agents seemingly endowed with consciousness? This is the second part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Cognitive Sciences. Scientific research across the cognitive sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the cognitive sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. Areas you’ll learn about will include: Philosophy of psychology, among whose issues we will cover the evolution of the human mind and the nature of consciousness. Philosophy of neurosciences, where we’ll consider the nature of human cognition and the relation between mind, machines, and the environment. Learning objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the cognitive sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Readings To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

CG

Feb 11, 2020

this course was very broad and incredibly interesting. I highly recommend it as introduction to the philosophy of science, but I have to warn you: Once you have started, your journey won't stop here!

AS

Jun 25, 2020

this is the great course for the people who are pursuing their carer in philosophy, philosophy of mind to be more precise and also for the people who are thinking of doing psychology later anytime.

1 - 25 of 183 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

By Neringa B

Oct 22, 2018

Recommended course for those who are interested in ways of obtaining self-knowledge. One of the insights that came to mind after having listened to the course videos is that creations (of objects, theories, algorithms, phenomena) reflect the reality of their creator best and to a varying degree the reality of creator's associates. Another one is that both the understanding (of the word content) and definitions of concepts evolve with the development of self-consciousness.

By Pamela J R

May 15, 2018

I learned a lot about robotics and new ideas about the brain and the new importance given to embodiment. Using Rodin's The Thinker as a classic model of what thought is and is for, the case is made that the brain is more accurately seen as part of a sensory system, and that interaction with the environment has been the driving force behind brain evolution. Very good inter-disciplinary approach. When examining the nature and operation of consciousness, having examples of animal behavior and from the field of robotics helps to crystallize and demonstrate new theories.

By Ugo N

Aug 07, 2017

Very informative work! Take it if you're interested in learning more about brain process and the functionality behind consciousness. They preview a cool experiment here in week 2, called TMI. It sends magnetic waves through to a particular portion of the brain, halting activity in that region. By so doing we are able to tell what parts of the brain are responsible for certain activity.

Take it! I recommend it. and I haven't even gotten to the good stuff.

Thank you!

By Stephen L

Nov 02, 2018

Excellent course. There is as much math as you want to take on, but you can skip over it to get the philosophical concepts being presented. I feel like I got a handle on Dark Matter and Dark Energy at least at a layman's talk at a cocktail party (I go to very nerdy cocktail parties) level. The philosophical notions of under-determination and falsifiability are useful for somene who thinks about science.

By Harshit V

Jun 28, 2018

The interdisciplinary nature of cognitive sciences takes away a backseat when televised via the philosophical aspect of nature and reasons. The course opens up beautifully, skillfully inspiring the various approaches to the umbrella branches under cognitive sciences. AI, Consciousness and the philosophical approach binds and explains the fragility we are at this very space in time.

By Jonathan A H

Jun 11, 2017

This course was a great introduction to the philosophy of cognitive sciences. Though I have been finishing a feature film called One 2 Zero which contains much of the philosophy and science presented here, I was happy to find there is always more to learn. Once the film is completed I am looking forward to beginning my graduate education in this field. Thank you!

By Tien T D

Oct 08, 2019

THANK YOU! Digestible contents. Easy-to-understand explanation. This course has given me a sufficient understanding of the field of cognitive science, not to overloaded, but sufficient to spark my interest in the subject and teaches me a lot of useful new information about my own brain. Very useful introductory course! Highly recommend!

By Phillip C

Nov 22, 2017

Wow, definitely worth taking. You will be treated to a broad multi-dimensional view of cognition that is not biased towards any specific view point. You will be exposed to several perspectives of the philosophy and emergent science of cognition. If you're interested in philosophical exploration in this area this is a must-take.

By Aman S

Apr 21, 2020

This course made me understand how much more is there to our brain and cognition in general—an excellent introductory course on the diversity of this interdisciplinary topic.

By Maya S

Nov 15, 2019

Very thorough and deep understanding of the subjects by the professors and lecturers. Tests are very well prepared aimed at a deep understanding of a given theme.

By LUDOVICA G

Jun 05, 2020

I’m satisfied of this learning course because in four weeks of videos and lectures one is able to have a clear introduction to what cognitive science is and the topics it deals with. I chose it because cognitive science is an emerging field that, I think, will have an increasing importance in science. As a philosophy student I’m glad that cognitive sciences involve this discipline, and I think that is somehow progressive this idea of cooperation between different disciplines, since very often there is this tendency to specialize the disciplines. Definitely, I’ve found this course enjoyable and clearly explained.

By Robin

I have long been interested in cognitive psychology and AI, and this course has allowed me to find out about the philosophical aspects of the mind. The course is taught in an entertaining and personal way, while the content is at times complex and requires deep thought. I enjoyed the illustrations from robotic research and the simulations of animal behaviour.

By Nat T

Nov 04, 2017

Excellent overview of Philosophy and the Cognitive Sciences. Week three was especially interesting. There were only a couple lectures I found lacked sufficient explanation for me to fully grasp the concepts. The additional reading suggestions were excellent! Thank you so much the instructors and coordinators for this course!

By Ksenya

Feb 25, 2019

I really liked the course! It was very interesting to listen to several different people, the professors were all friendly and easy to understand, also because the university is specialized they look really involved and love their subject, so a lot of stuff they said made me think from new perspectives :)

By Grzegorz N

Jul 07, 2018

Really well designed and conducted introductory course to philosophy of the cognitive sciences. A lot of complementary material in form of articles and videos. Well balanced quizzes help to organize new knowledge and to find out what need additional attention to properly comprehend course material.

By Carlos A O G

Nov 29, 2019

Foi uma experiência maravilhosa onde pude aprender com grandes estudiosos dedicados e inteligente sobre a filosofia e a ciência, como que elas se interagem. Saí do curso mais motivado e rico interiormente. Muito obrigado a todos que se dedicaram para promover o curso. MUITO OBRIGADO ! ! !

By 赵子涵

Feb 02, 2020

This course gives me a brief understanding of cognitive science.I am now very curious about the term embodiment.I heard that merleau ponty also frequently use this term for his philosophical and psychological Analysis,I want search some book to know more about it.Thanks for the course.

By Richie P

Jun 10, 2020

The course was a bit short but packed a good deal of information about the philosophy of cognitive sciences. Be sure to use the supplemental material and doing some further exploration of your own. Overall, a fantastic course for anyone with a scientific or philosophy oriented mind.

By Muhip T

Very fun, non-exhausting introduction to the very interesting subject of cognitive sciences. Video lectures are of high quality. It is relatively short and quizzes were extremely easy but this was exactly what I wanted so I'm not complaining.

By Ujjawal S

Dec 04, 2018

Great Course, covers really interesting topics regarding brains, its philosophies and cognition related to it. The teachers and the instructors were very clear in their approach of making us understand the topics. Loved the course. Great job.

By Thomas J H

Jun 27, 2018

Highly recommended. Clear on what is science, what is philosophy, and what the convergent areas of inquiry are. High on sense, short on bombast, and deeply intellectually responsible. (The anti-Daniel Dennett approach). Much appreciated.

By David M

Dec 12, 2018

I enjoyed the format, it made it very easy to learn and you can read as much as you like with the recommended reading list. Very thought provoking and well prsented. I would recommend it for anyone with an interest in philosophy.

By Małgorzata S

Aug 06, 2017

An extremely informative course with a lot of optional readings for further study if one wishes to. Very accessible in terms of explanation. I can highly recommend to anyone interested in any aspect of cognition and perception.

By Renee x

Jun 17, 2020

I've enjoyed this course although I wish it was much more longer...The amount of information about cognitive science, evolutionary Psychology, Consciousness, and several other topics that are full of knowledgable information.

By Pablo G A

Jun 21, 2017

I think this course is a great introduction to the philosophy of cognitive sciences. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in philosophy. Also, I took advantage of the course for practising English language. Thanks!