Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

Course Description What is our role in the universe as human agents capable of knowledge? What makes us intelligent cognitive agents seemingly endowed with consciousness? This is the second part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Cognitive Sciences. Scientific research across the cognitive sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the cognitive sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. Areas you’ll learn about will include: Philosophy of psychology, among whose issues we will cover the evolution of the human mind and the nature of consciousness. Philosophy of neurosciences, where we’ll consider the nature of human cognition and the relation between mind, machines, and the environment. Learning objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the cognitive sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Readings To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

CM

Aug 07, 2018

I have enjoyed the course, specially the detailed way of explained all the topics by the instructors. Also, I went through some of the bibliography sources provided which is a lot. Thank You all

NV

Feb 06, 2019

Fantastic teachers, very informative and useful. Highly recommended to those who are interested in pursuing cognitive sciences and learning about consciousness

1 - 25 of 133 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

By Ujjawal S

Dec 04, 2018

Great Course, covers really interesting topics regarding brains, its philosophies and cognition related to it. The teachers and the instructors were very clear in their approach of making us understand the topics. Loved the course. Great job.

By David M

Dec 12, 2018

I enjoyed the format, it made it very easy to learn and you can read as much as you like with the recommended reading list. Very thought provoking and well prsented. I would recommend it for anyone with an interest in philosophy.

By Valentine N

Feb 06, 2019

A great subject it is thanks for enabling me go through it. I have gained some insight into cognition!

By Narayanan M V

By Ipekpinar C

Nov 25, 2018

This course is quite helpful for the people who are coming from different disciplines just like me. It is quite interesting and informative.

By Ksenya

Feb 25, 2019

I really liked the course! It was very interesting to listen to several different people, the professors were all friendly and easy to understand, also because the university is specialized they look really involved and love their subject, so a lot of stuff they said made me think from new perspectives :)

By Ruoyu L

Feb 26, 2019

Very insight lecutures! Rich examples and easy to understand.

By Shradha K

Jan 14, 2019

Amazing.

Really useful and I understood all of it even though I do not have a background in this subject.

Thanks

By Cos F

Dec 29, 2018

well done. great introductions.

By Prerana H

Mar 20, 2019

Excellent introduction to important concepts, with clear lectures and good reading materials

By Carlos M

Aug 07, 2018

By Jordan W

Sep 14, 2018

An insightful and intriguing course with great further reading material.

By Vincent W

Sep 10, 2018

I learned some really interesting things from this course that I will be using in an upcoming project

By Danny G

Jan 17, 2017

Simply yet informing and concise

By Phillip C

Nov 22, 2017

Wow, definitely worth taking. You will be treated to a broad multi-dimensional view of cognition that is not biased towards any specific view point. You will be exposed to several perspectives of the philosophy and emergent science of cognition. If you're interested in philosophical exploration in this area this is a must-take.

By Biani P S L

Aug 03, 2017

It is a simple and clear introduction to the current topics of philosophy of the cognitive sciences. Videos and additional readings are very interesting!

By Nguyen V L

May 19, 2017

This course has boarden my point of view and it also has shown me the link between artificial intelligent and philosophy.

By Kermit B B

Mar 19, 2017

Awesome!

By Josip C

Sep 04, 2017

Excellent course, concentrated presentations, easy to follow, fun learning.

By Gabriel V J

Jan 28, 2017

excellent

By Mario S S

Mar 15, 2018

It is great!

By mariana w c

Dec 02, 2017

very intersesting course, made easily understandable for everybody.

By Stevanus L

Apr 07, 2017

Fun and great course!

By Alexander S

Feb 13, 2017

Very interesting material with really demonstrative examples and experiments.

By Nat T

Nov 04, 2017

Excellent overview of Philosophy and the Cognitive Sciences. Week three was especially interesting. There were only a couple lectures I found lacked sufficient explanation for me to fully grasp the concepts. The additional reading suggestions were excellent! Thank you so much the instructors and coordinators for this course!