Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT

Sep 02, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC

Oct 08, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

1 - 25 of 823 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By richard p

Jan 24, 2019

I found the course to be of very high quality in relation to content,breadth,materials and teaching .Philosophy is a subject far removed from my previous studies and provided a huge stimulus to different thought patterns , logic and concepts. As can be seen I rate the course and the MOOC concept very highly and hugely enjoyable.It has stimulated me ,after a short break, to follow this up with further studies in this subject.Thanks to The University of Edinburgh and to Coursera accordingly.

By Stefan W

Oct 25, 2018

Excellent program: I enjoyed specifically the opportunity of a wide range of different lecturers and their different styles, the accurate transcripts were very useful in assisting my revision and review, I enjoyed the regular tests to ensure I was assimilating all the material, choice of topics was generally very good, I liked the idea of a number of short lectures, rather than one great blockbuster, the seven week timing is also good as one can make that kind of commitment easily. The IT online delivery worked faultlessly and was easy to work with and like a Kindle, one could easily pick up where you left off which was a great time saver when you're trying to juggle study with a thousand other things.

By Aylet G S

Mar 24, 2019

It is a worthwhile course that makes you reflect, it is full of complementary information and bibliography. Highly recommended.

By Lemuel T

Sep 02, 2015

By Chan E L C

Oct 08, 2015

By david b

Mar 28, 2019

I have only a couple weeks left. This Intro to Philosophy has been enlightening and given me much to contemplate. This was the course I had been burning to take for many years, having always been curious about philosophy. Would be great if there were a follow-up course, delving deeper into these issues. Bravo and thanks a million!

By José L C

Jun 20, 2019

Es una manera muy interesante de adentrarse al terreno filosófico puesto que se revisan temáticas vinculadas con la ética, moral, filosofía política, historia de la filosofía, epistemología, etc. Para un primer acercamiento es recomendable; la desventaja es el idioma de los artículos y el doblaje de sólo algunos temas.

By Simon O R

Dec 11, 2018

The Time frame is great to keep you active. This is very important to put sufficient enerdy into the course. It is well-made, lively, and very profitable. Thank you!

By ES

Nov 25, 2018

Clear explanations, thought provoking, lots of introductory ground covered

By mahmood s m

Dec 01, 2018

great course , and i would love to thank the teachers of Edinburgh university , they helped a lot to understand and pass the course , i had a great time with those great teachers and subjects ,

By Daniel N

Dec 19, 2018

The course is well designed to give a brief splash of topics related to philosophy. I enjoyed the system and all the professors were great and tried to be as clear as possible.

By René D N A

Jan 10, 2019

excellent

By Lucas A S

Jan 10, 2019

Very Good, Very Informative! Thanks a Lot!

By Rafael A L

Dec 29, 2018

very nice course

By ELIAS T

Jan 13, 2019

Muy práctico, me sorprendió positivamente que no es un curso de biografías de filósofos sino sobre pensamiento filosófico acerca de temas sumamente interesantes.

Gracias por tenerlo y felicidades a los ponentes.

Lo recomendaré en cada ocasión.

By Claudia C

Dec 31, 2018

ES UN CURSO QUE PLANTEA EL DEBATE , EL CONOCIMIENTO Y LA INVESTIGACIÓN. ME GUSTA MUCHO Y SEGUIRÉ ESTUDIANDO EN ESTA PÁGINA.. MUCHAS GRACIAS!1

CLAUDIA COPPO

By L.R. L

Dec 31, 2018

I've found this course to be really interesting and thought provoking. The instructors explain the materials with reasonable precision and with good examples.

By TAYEBWA P

Jan 16, 2019

The course has been a good one. it was challenging but very good for the mind and for the development of our mind, and some times the heart. thanks for the opportunity.

By Jason H

Jan 16, 2019

Great introduction, argument presentation, counter-argument consideration and supporting materials for simple yet intriguing philosophical topics. Faculty was engaging and well spoken and course was able to keep my interest. Excellent for those looking to get an insight into the world of philosophy.

By Stacey B

Jan 03, 2019

good course liked it alot thank you

By Juan T S

Jan 02, 2019

A very interesting introduction with diverse topics which impulse you to keep studying.

By Marco A S A A

Jan 05, 2019

I hada great experience with the talks and the activities.

By Martin R S

Feb 15, 2019

Loving it so far, brilliant.

By Kevin L

Feb 16, 2019

Great intro class.

By Neid M R

Feb 18, 2019

Excelente curso. Muchas gracias, me encantó porque me permitió ampliar los horizontes del análisis. Además el material proporcionado es abundante y muy complementario.