Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT

Sep 02, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC

Oct 08, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

1 - 25 of 856 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By richard p

Jan 24, 2019

I found the course to be of very high quality in relation to content,breadth,materials and teaching .Philosophy is a subject far removed from my previous studies and provided a huge stimulus to different thought patterns , logic and concepts. As can be seen I rate the course and the MOOC concept very highly and hugely enjoyable.It has stimulated me ,after a short break, to follow this up with further studies in this subject.Thanks to The University of Edinburgh and to Coursera accordingly.

By Stefan W

Oct 25, 2018

Excellent program: I enjoyed specifically the opportunity of a wide range of different lecturers and their different styles, the accurate transcripts were very useful in assisting my revision and review, I enjoyed the regular tests to ensure I was assimilating all the material, choice of topics was generally very good, I liked the idea of a number of short lectures, rather than one great blockbuster, the seven week timing is also good as one can make that kind of commitment easily. The IT online delivery worked faultlessly and was easy to work with and like a Kindle, one could easily pick up where you left off which was a great time saver when you're trying to juggle study with a thousand other things.

By Chan E L C

Oct 08, 2015

By Lemuel T

Sep 02, 2015

By Vera B

Aug 21, 2015

I didn't find the overall content of the course very well chosen for an introduction to philosophy - since it covers so little. The title of this course should have been "An Introduction to Just a Couple of Topics in Philosophy." And there are so few philosophers covered. However, the biggest problem was instructor

Alasdair Richmond, whose response to debate was locking threads down every time his ideological positions were challenged. He showed himself completely inept to have a debate with more than one course participant and chose to censor a variety of viewpoints he dislikes. It was particularly ironic to see an instructor exercise censorship in a Philosophy course - a domain whose objective, after all, is the pursuit of truth as well as to ask and debate the "why" of everything! A petty tyrant does not make a good teacher.

Should I ever meet anyone interested in studying Philosophy, my first recommendation to them will be stay away from the University of Edinburgh, since there is no respect for debate, freedom of expression, or inquiry there.

By Aylet G S

Mar 24, 2019

It is a worthwhile course that makes you reflect, it is full of complementary information and bibliography. Highly recommended.

By david b

Mar 28, 2019

I have only a couple weeks left. This Intro to Philosophy has been enlightening and given me much to contemplate. This was the course I had been burning to take for many years, having always been curious about philosophy. Would be great if there were a follow-up course, delving deeper into these issues. Bravo and thanks a million!

By Andrew R

Jul 06, 2017

I found this course incredibly stimulating. A wonderfully structured introduction to European philosophy. All modules well presented. How lucky we are to have learning like this at our fingertips.

By José L C

Jun 20, 2019

Es una manera muy interesante de adentrarse al terreno filosófico puesto que se revisan temáticas vinculadas con la ética, moral, filosofía política, historia de la filosofía, epistemología, etc. Para un primer acercamiento es recomendable; la desventaja es el idioma de los artículos y el doblaje de sólo algunos temas.

By Paul K

Mar 19, 2016

Probably I am biased by just having followed edX's Minds and Machines. Compared to that course, the lectures here are superficial and not very engaging. This becomes especially striking for overlapping topics between the two courses. Also the quizzes are way too easy and you can try until you get it right. This makes the certificate virtually worthless, although you can pay for it.

By Daniel N

Dec 19, 2018

The course is well designed to give a brief splash of topics related to philosophy. I enjoyed the system and all the professors were great and tried to be as clear as possible.

By Daniel F T R

Dec 23, 2018

Fantastic!

By L.R. L

Dec 31, 2018

I've found this course to be really interesting and thought provoking. The instructors explain the materials with reasonable precision and with good examples.

By Claudia C

Dec 31, 2018

ES UN CURSO QUE PLANTEA EL DEBATE , EL CONOCIMIENTO Y LA INVESTIGACIÓN. ME GUSTA MUCHO Y SEGUIRÉ ESTUDIANDO EN ESTA PÁGINA.. MUCHAS GRACIAS!1

CLAUDIA COPPO

By ramlal s

Jan 27, 2019

This is a great introductory course to Philosophy. The course covers very important aspects of Philosophy in a succinct manner and sets the foundation to explore any topic in detail later. Overall great experience !! This is exactly how an introductory course should be. Thank you Coursera, thank you University of Edinburgh !!

By Marco A S A A

Jan 05, 2019

I hada great experience with the talks and the activities.

By Juan T S

Jan 02, 2019

A very interesting introduction with diverse topics which impulse you to keep studying.

By Stacey B

Jan 03, 2019

good course liked it alot thank you

By Carolina B V

Jan 31, 2019

Me encantó, muy didáctico y completo.

By analia a

Nov 21, 2018

Muy buena introducción al pensamiento filosófico y además con ejemplos comunes para dar mejor entendimiento, deberían hacer cursos de cada corriente filosófica

By ES

Nov 25, 2018

Clear explanations, thought provoking, lots of introductory ground covered

By Abner S

Nov 09, 2018

This course is an introduction to the topics that philosophers are talking about. It addresses, for instance, questions about the nature of knowledge, morality, philosophy of science, etc. It emphasizes on Scottish philosopher David Hume, but it does not omit other philosophical traditions on the topic they aboard. I strongly recommend it for those who are interested in developing philosophical curiosity about some specific topics.

By Ujjawal S

Nov 09, 2018

Great Course. I loved the content, it covered few of the topics i used to wonder about. Really engaging teachers, they seemed that they were passionate about their topic and also had a deep understanding of the matter. Thank You.

By Jocelyn A

Nov 12, 2018

Absolutely brilliant, thoroughly engaging and the topics lead perfectly from one to the other. Each teacher explained their topic in unique ways which I believe really kept the interest alive and as much as leaving this review may help everything's determined so does it really?

But really thank you for this course it was lovely to engage with and complete.