Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT

Sep 02, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC

Oct 08, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

151 - 175 of 880 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By Lim M C

Jun 24, 2016

This is a very good and interesting course. The instructors lecture the course from an easy way to understand. I hope that they will open an advanced course for this field.

By Said K G G

Dec 26, 2019

Está sendo um ótimo curso. Estava procurando um curso que me introduzisse a filosofia e este me mostrou exatamente o que eu precisava saber pra começar meu estudo na área.

By 方冠华

Aug 26, 2017

A great introductory course. It makes me really curious about the answers to many fundamental questions, and also challenges the way I used to think about other things.

By TAYEBWA P

Jan 16, 2019

The course has been a good one. it was challenging but very good for the mind and for the development of our mind, and some times the heart. thanks for the opportunity.

By Richard E

Aug 26, 2015

very interesting, much to learn, readily understandable, taught in such manner that a first year undergraduate can absorb, all science students should take this class

By Sim C

Oct 15, 2019

Interesting, lots of reading, really need to think hard, reflecting myself. This is a good start and is laying good foundation for further learning Philosophy. Thanks.

By Neid M R

Feb 18, 2019

Excelente curso. Muchas gracias, me encantó porque me permitió ampliar los horizontes del análisis. Además el material proporcionado es abundante y muy complementario.

By Simon O R

Dec 11, 2018

The Time frame is great to keep you active. This is very important to put sufficient enerdy into the course. It is well-made, lively, and very profitable. Thank you!

By Andrew U

Jun 19, 2016

This is an outstanding introduction to Philosophy. Each element is a short overview at beginner level and yet addresses the fundamental debates in each area covered.

By Keren T

Oct 29, 2015

It is a good course with great content. The professors are well prepared and share their knowledge in an easy way so that everyone can understand their explanations.

By Lucia E D

Apr 10, 2018

Excelente curso muy buenas las exposiciones de los distintos profesores, y muy interesante su contenido, muchísimas gracias por haberme dejado participar del mismo.

By Andrés A B

Sep 28, 2017

I loved the course, every topic was amazingly interesting, I loved the first week and the third week, both aspect moved me forward to learn more about those topics.

By Christian O S

Aug 13, 2019

A very informative introduction to the field of philosophy, curated by enthusiastic lectures, who explain each topic in a nicely structured and accessible fashion.

By Odair C J

Mar 12, 2019

It is a really good introduction, focusing on the big questions and incentiving the students to think for themselves about these questions since the first lesson.

By Christopher B

Jul 03, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to get an overview of major trends in philosophical thinking. Well presented resources.

By Phillip B

Oct 22, 2015

Fantastic introductory course to Philosophy. It really expands your thinking and methodologies relating to wisdom and knowledge. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you.

By Valeria V

Oct 27, 2018

Este curso lo recomendaría, la información es completa y entretenida.

A pesar de estudiar otra carrera "ING informática" pude comprender cada uno de los temas .

By analia a

Nov 21, 2018

Muy buena introducción al pensamiento filosófico y además con ejemplos comunes para dar mejor entendimiento, deberían hacer cursos de cada corriente filosófica

By Sara B

Sep 21, 2015

An excellent though-provoking introduction to several branches of Philosophy. You can tell the instructors love what they do - it makes it easy to love it too.

By L.R. L

Dec 31, 2018

I've found this course to be really interesting and thought provoking. The instructors explain the materials with reasonable precision and with good examples.

By Leonardo A E L

Apr 02, 2016

Amazing course. I hope it can be extended to a more advanced level and I also hope the MOOC about philosophy and the sciences will be back soon. All the best

By Claudia C

Dec 31, 2018

ES UN CURSO QUE PLANTEA EL DEBATE , EL CONOCIMIENTO Y LA INVESTIGACIÓN. ME GUSTA MUCHO Y SEGUIRÉ ESTUDIANDO EN ESTA PÁGINA.. MUCHAS GRACIAS!1

CLAUDIA COPPO

By Laura D G

Feb 02, 2016

Fully satisfied with this course. Very good program and content, good videos, professional teachers... I really learned a lot. I recommend the course 100 %

By Adam M

Nov 10, 2015

A smooth and engaging initiation into philosophical thinking with a practical path amid this world filled with so many semantics and distorting propaganda.

By Gerard H

Oct 31, 2015

Excellent course. It gives in a very pleasant, well presented and clear way 7 essential topics of Philosophy which can be the base for further exploration.