Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT

Sep 02, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC

Oct 08, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

251 - 275 of 886 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By Alberto d l F M

Nov 21, 2019

Interesantísima introducción a varios de los temas candentes en la Filosofía actual. Muy recomendable y disfrutable.

By Sue L

Oct 19, 2019

it's my first finished course here. it's clearly, logical, helpful for me to learn language and philosophy knowledge

By Theodore H

Feb 12, 2018

Very thought provoking and informative. A great 'introduction' to some fairly deep concepts. I very much enjoyed it.

By Valéry B

May 06, 2017

Superb. A great introduction to many concepts. The Free Will and time travel on week 5 are fascinating.

Thanks a lot.

By Paula M

Mar 08, 2019

Great introduction! covers a great deal of information and gives you enough resources to keep learning on your own.

By Kathryn B

Aug 07, 2016

I thought that this course was a very good introduction. It gave brief glimpses into different kinds of philosophy.

Aug 25, 2015

Good introduction to Philosophy. Course length is appropriate and assignments are at the right level of difficulty.

By Hemanga

Apr 22, 2017

Great course.

Great to the starting philosopher. And anyone who wants to learn a bit more about how we all think!

By Philip M

Feb 25, 2016

This is an enjoyable course that covers a few of the basic ideas in philosophy and how to think philosophically.

By Daniel B

Feb 27, 2019

Good spectrum of topics covered; question / quiz format is helpful too. Recommend as a great broad introduction

By Octavio A M C

Oct 24, 2015

Es dinámico y claro, sin ser pretensioso que justamente eso hace que sea en ocasiones cuestionada la filosofía.

By Alejandro D

Feb 06, 2017

Well structured course, great instructors, they master the subject and make the course a really enjoyable one.

By Liliana E G d l F

Aug 13, 2015

Showed me a different way to see life.

Philosophy as a lens to look clearer or cloudier, depends on the angle.

By Catherine H

Mar 05, 2019

This class is awesome!! I learned so much, and it has really sparked my interest in other philosophy classes!

By Iván M C V

Jul 12, 2018

Muy buen curso. La manera de explicar de los profesores y los temas abordados son excelentes. Aprendí mucho.

By Ama G

Oct 14, 2015

This course has taught me much in so little time, i'm truly looking forward to completing the entire course.

By Natalia G S

Sep 17, 2015

Mil gracias por ofrecer esta posibilidad de visión amplia sobre Filosofía. Ha sido muy enriquecedor para mi.

By Imran M

Jul 01, 2019

This course is very beneficial to get a basic understanding of Philosophy. I highly recommend this course .

By Leticia T P

Mar 08, 2018

Es excelente el curso. Me está ayudando a comprender mucho mejor una materia que antes no me gustaba mucho.

By Voronina V

Oct 13, 2017

I am very pleased to finished this course, great thanks to all lecturers!!! It was well intersting journey.

By Alberto H G E

Apr 17, 2018

Excelente curso, me ha dado una nueva perspectiva de las cosas, desde lo superficial hasta lo específico.

By Rawan A

Aug 18, 2017

Very well structured and good for beginners. Time travel and philosophy was great! I highly recommend it.

By Samiha S

Dec 07, 2015

It was very informative and interesting. Provided some very intriguing questions for reflective thinking.

By Rhiannon P

Feb 05, 2020

Really engaging and at the perfect level. Has made me really consider studying philosophy at university.

By RENÉ V C R

Jan 25, 2019

es un curso que muestra de manera sencilla los temas en los que se ocupan los filósofos de la actualidad