Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

551 - 563 of 563 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Stefan W

Sep 6, 2020

This course seems to be aimed at absolute beginners. If you don't know what a rhyme is, this "workshop" is definitively worth your time. Else, there may be better investments.

By Hari K D V

Oct 28, 2017

there's got to be more poems, more reviews. 1 poem to be reviewed makes the brilliant course flippant

By Jennifer F

Sep 5, 2020

ok. some tools are missing, like a resource page referred to by the instructor.

By Liz A

May 21, 2018

A stimulating course. Great online interaction with tutors. Some great links.

By Priyanka D

Jul 5, 2021

L​earnt a lot about writing poetry. Realised there's still a lot yet to learn

By Garrison G

Sep 1, 2017

The course could have used more content. That is, it is too brief.

By Tonya

Sep 21, 2015

Elementary and entertaining with some unique and creative prompts.

By Lama B

May 7, 2020

It was a great course, however it was very short and brief.

By Keegan O

Jul 20, 2020

This course is a brief overview of poetry. For that it is fine. The lessons are extremely brief and it takes very little time to get through this course. The problem with taking a workshop online and in this setting is that you rarely get valuable feedback as a large percentage of your classmates will have very little to say about your poem. Many take an approach of I need to do these two peer workshops to get a grade and breeze right through it. Another negative I have with the course is it never allows you to workshop a poem that is not derived from a prompt in a lesson and many of these prompts are extremely forced. If you are someone who is already writing poems I doubt this is the course for you. My advice is to seek out people in the discussion forum who seem to know what they're talking about and start a correspondence with them. You will get better feedback and can workshop things outside of silly prompts. I apologize if this came off as pretentious. I spent at least 30 minutes with every poem I was asked to workshop. 2 out of 3 submissions my workshop feedback was one sentence long. I got one valuable piece of advice from 3 workshops.

By Michael N

Jun 11, 2020

While the material has been interesting, I paid to take this course in large part for what I assumed would be helpful feedback and critique, to help me improve. I submitted my first peer assignment 6 days ago, and I've not received even one critique/feedback. If things change as I continue this course, I'll revise my rating. But at the moment, I'm not satisfied in the least. If none of my fellow students reviews my work, how about one of the staff mentors? Hello? Is anyone even out there?

By Maria L

Apr 11, 2020

This 'course' is so diluted and threadbare it's unbearable. Add to that the misplaced gimmicks and 'humour' in the videos and you soon feel you are wasting your time. I wasn't expecting anything advanced, but this is not even basic. Might be OK for a 5 y.o. though. For adults, I would recommend a good book on poetry writing. Or, even better, on prosody. There are some excellent ones to choose from.

By David M C

Apr 18, 2021

Decided I wasn't interested so tried to unenroll but can't.

By Jeffrey S