Back to Probability and Statistics: To p or not to p?

Probability and Statistics: To p or not to p?, University of London

4.3

About this Course

We live in an uncertain and complex world, yet we continually have to make decisions in the present with uncertain future outcomes. Indeed, we should be on the look-out for "black swans" - low-probability high-impact events. To study, or not to study? To invest, or not to invest? To marry, or not to marry? While uncertainty makes decision-making difficult, it does at least make life exciting! If the entire future was known in advance, there would never be an element of surprise. Whether a good future or a bad future, it would be a known future. In this course we consider many useful tools to deal with uncertainty and help us to make informed (and hence better) decisions - essential skills for a lifetime of good decision-making. Key topics include quantifying uncertainty with probability, descriptive statistics, point and interval estimation of means and proportions, the basics of hypothesis testing, and a selection of multivariate applications of key terms and concepts seen throughout the course....

By AS

Nov 28, 2018

Hi,\n\nThe course taught about the basics and that's exactly what I was looking for. I learnt a lot, and so many things which I hear and read, became clearer and more meaningful. Thanks you!

By FT

Sep 16, 2018

Best course on the concepts of Probability and statistics , for the beginners. Dr.James Abdey provides lot of examples from the everyday life .

25 Reviews

By Daniel Domingue

May 09, 2019

Nice overall introduction to statistics, but suffers from bad grading mecanism when perofrming peer graded assignments.

By david white

Mar 19, 2019

The course material was top notch I learned a lot. It was an excellent crash course, and beautifully explained. I took off a star because the failure of the grading system in Assignment #2 / Week 5 cost me a lot of time, and likely affected many of my peers as well. That type of technical glitch is unacceptable in MOOC, particularly because there doesn't seem to be anyone around to support the students. Thanks for resolving it, though, whoever you are!

By Chia Kai Xuan

Mar 19, 2019

Lecturer is patient and always tries to explain difficult concepts clearly.

By

Mar 19, 2019

I liked the pdfs of the Theory, however I found it hard to follow the explanations in the videos. (Too much talk, to less graphs/figures and terms in my opinion). There is a bug at the evaluation of the second assessment. The assessments are good to check if you understood the topic, however the quiz are interesting but not helpful to check if I achieved the learning objectives.

By Rodney McDonell

Mar 10, 2019

Horrible.

Too much talking or woffling as i came to call it. Dumbed down too much. We know what a toolbox is. Don't give us an example of how a toolbox is used. This is just an example of the level of stupidity you must assume your students have.

Week 1 was a waste of time and weeks 2 and three could have been summed up in a 10 minute video.

You skipped over probability and straight into statistics without mentioning any of the useful things of probability like the laws of probability. Communicative, Distributive etc.

I've learnt almost nothing from this. Will not recommend at all. Not useful at all.

By Tanmoy Choudhury

Mar 04, 2019

This is a fantastic course to refresh probability and statistics. The only reason i have provided four star is due to a bug in the week 5 assignment where the grading does not provide multiple selections. Additionally there is no support for course stuff if you have question. You are really on your own. I would still encourage to take this one.

By Brett Crain

Feb 14, 2019

The setup of peer reviewed assignments was a very poor experience due to lack of explanation and incorrect grading rubrics. Reviewers were presented with a single radio-button list, when they should have been presented with a series of check-boxes.

By Weichi Cheng

Jan 31, 2019

The concept is well presented with the assumption that further research and dedication needed is required to get to next level.

By ruixi zhou

Dec 18, 2018

Great

By yue

Dec 05, 2018

Very good introduction and overview, gives clear picture of probability and statistics.