Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

AB
Jun 6, 2019

Getting a bit more challenging than the earlier courses in the specialization. The exercises require more struggle, but all the information is there. Another step along the way. Thank you, Dr. Chuck!

26 - 50 of 6,730 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By J A M

Dec 23, 2015

Yet another excellent course... My prior reviews were so ravingly positive that I now feel compelled to offer a very minor area of potential improvement: Dr. Chuck might have considered going a bit deeper into Geojson API and perhaps even done a second API. Also there were some glitches in the Geojson assignment: My python Spyder was left frozen a couple times before I got things working.

I understand that some students would have complained due to the length of Week 6, but if you requested the simple first assignment completion after the first 10 minutes of video lecture, you could have snuck in two concrete API assignments later on. Also, you could have had a Week 7 with the second API and alternate Web Access assignments. In sum, I was left wishing I had a bit more API experience.

Nevertheless, I give this class 4.75 stars, which rounds up to the usual 5 stars. I've completed three of Dr. Chuck's classes and I'm on the fourth. Dr. Chuck is the incarnation of the super MOOC professor. Long live Dr. Chuck!

By Michael O

Oct 29, 2019

Disclaimer: If you're taking the Python for Everybody Specialization, I HIGHLY suggest starting the Python 3 Programming Specialization (also University of Michigan) after completing the first two courses. Get to Week 2 of Course 1 in that specialization and then start Course 3 of Python for Everybody.

I really appreciate the University of Michigan and the staff involved in providing these courses.I completed the first two courses of Python for Everybody and started the Python 3 Programming Specialization (another University of Michigan specialization) before taking this course.Unlike the first two courses in this specialization, I do not feel like I've committed the code to memory. Especially when it comes to XML. I can comfortably talk someone through the steps of working with XML/JSON, but would likely need to look up the syntax to code it (which I hope was the intention of the course).

By Sean M

Jun 19, 2020

By Avisek G

Sep 13, 2017

The course teaches the basics of how to interact with the internet using Python. The course is simple, well explained, has great interviews with people who were part of the creation of the internet.

By Ichiro H

Jul 8, 2019

Great course for introduction to parse Web Data. However, google map and twitter API seems to be changed a lot, so those examples won't work any more. It took me a few days to figure that out and felt a bit stressful. Hope re-recording take place soon so that many other students would not stuck there.

By Nicolas C

May 18, 2019

I think that the average user will be overexerted by the complexity of this course after week 4. You have to consider that most participants barely have experience in programming at all and I am pretty sure that some will get lost, lose interest and definitely will not be able to reproduce this kind of web scraping for their own projects.

The step from scraping through simple HTML to using libraries and APIs was too much in my opinion.

By Hakan T

Dec 31, 2019

Horrible TAs. They should all be changed. They are extremely rude and annoying.

By Minhao S

Jun 29, 2019

teaching staff.......no good, helpless

By SHARATH C

explanation was not up to the mark.

By Ayush B

Nov 30, 2018

Time wasting & rubish

By Rory P

Sep 23, 2016

Professor Severance is awesome. I really like how each video is an in-depth look at a specific example and that he tells you what to ignore and when. I think his sense of what's important is spot on as I've already started to apply some of his lessons to personal work and find that as I work through personal projects, the next question I have is usually covered in the next lecture or soon thereafter. The videos build on one another in a very coherent manner and the assignments are applicable to what you learned. I think the assignments could be a little more challenging and that more references to the book should be included in the lectures as the book is also very helpful and a great primer for each week's material, especially when it comes to understanding parsing XML and JSON more. I think more chapters on this in the book could be very helpful though.

By Ed H N C

Nov 1, 2020

Thank You Lord for the strength!!!

Thank You for the support of my family for not bothering me during days and days of solving these assignments.

Thank you DOST Caraga for the the learning opportunity.

Thank you for the loads and loads of coffee.

#HardLife!

By Monirul H

Apr 12, 2020

It's not that easy like previous two courses. But I'm glad that I had a little bit idea about regular expressions, networking, xml and REST before starting this course.

By Ayatullah K

Nov 19, 2020

The first two courses needed to completed this course successfully.

I have previous experienced of programming with c++ and javascript. So this wasn't

difficult to me. However, I have learned a lot of about web services. How to retrieve

web data with python and manipulate them. From week 1 to week 4 was, how can you

retrieve web pages, how to request a server and get back web data using some python

libraries like urllib(a python library to retrieve web page). Overall, for the assignments

you have to know programming logic a little bit. After retrieve web pages you need to work

with data. So you have to know conditon, loop, list, dict etc. All the assignments of this

course is calculate sum or count of a list of data.

The last two weeks you will get familiar with xml and json. These two is the communication system for

service provider and consumer. How easy they communicate and exchange their data.

It uses for the service oriented approach mostly.

By HARSHIT n

Jul 19, 2020

This course is very good except the API part. I think they must upgrade this part and elaborate this concept.

By Alexander C

Nov 18, 2015

Compared to other Python Courses I have taken this is course has no meat on them bones and is NOT worth $80 at all even for a certificate. However for FREE? ok. Worth the introduction to some useful tools. Spend your time and money on a more valuable course like Fundamentals of Computing Specialization, which is awesome, and is about the same price as of this writing.

This course offers no challenge, little content, and the assignments let me down. Assignments are basically handed to you where you only need to alter one line of text to get the right answer on what is supposed to take an hour.

Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python thru Rice U has content and weekly mini projects that really push your learning ability and after taking the courses, I felt like I really got something out of it.

This course barely scratches the surface of "Accessing Web Data" and does nothing to challenge your coding skills. The positive side, it introduces you to Web API's, the basics of Beautiful Soup, and other BUZZWORDS. At least structure assignments to combine all of the efforts learned in previous chapters onto one another.

Side note... what is the professor doing filming lectures on vacation or at lunch? This does nothing to add to the content of the course and is distracting and unprofesh.

The meaningless assignments let me down.

By Alexandre n M p

Nov 7, 2019

After finishing this last part of this Specialisation I fell completely frustrated and agree with other feedbacks in this list. The first part of this Specialisation was really inspiring and I feel that learned a lot. In parallel to those courses, I was able to apply the knowledge acquired in the Py4e to learn Matplotlib, Pandas and Numpy and I was very excited applying that learning in my own research.However, this last course, ‘Using Python to Access Web Data’ was ridicule difficult. The exercises were impossible to my knowledge and understanding. There must be something wrong, since I was able to complete the first courses. The exercises were always challenging, but I was able to accomplish them. While the first courses I was able to understand and find the sources on the readings; this last one was awfully dispersed. I simply didn’t understand the codes, the structures and how to parse the information.While I was exciting discussing and suggesting those first courses to my colleagues. Sorry, this last one I cannot recommend, since I did not understand the codes. I am really sorry for this feedback; but I know that I gave my best and I was unable to enjoy this course. Now I feel that I need to search for another course to learn how to access the web with Python.

By Josh H

Jul 18, 2020

Dr. Chuck seems like a great professor and I would love to take a course with him in person if I attended the University of Michigan, but I felt I didn't really learn much due to the extremely low difficulty of assignments. Most involved literally just taking the sample code provided and modifying a few lines slightly. I guess it's somewhat forgivable given the difficulty inherent in packaging so many deep, nuanced concepts into a digestible course for the masses, but it still doesn't change the fact that I don't feel like I really learned much of anything. While in the course, I stressed out a bit over the assignments, thinking I was expected to understand all example code provided, until I realized the assignment involves changing like two lines and that's it.

By Yixin W

May 29, 2018

This course is really really challenging if you only took the first two courses before this. The tests are quite hard to get. there are many moving pieces and it is hard to know where to begin with. I tried very hard to understand the lectures but i would say it just doesn't help with the tests.

I wouldn't recommend to beginners like me. but if you know python for a while maybe that's another story.

By Sehan P

Jun 12, 2018

Course is not organized properly. Enough detail is not discussed for some parts. Especially for the parts on Beautifulsoup. Some information is just provided in the links in slide with no reference to whether it is optional to check or not. This course would be good for someone with prior knowledge about JSON, XML and HTML.

By Hosam M

need more clarification, the instructor suppoised that we have a solid background in this area (access web data).

I am very disappointed from this course.

Apr 28, 2018

Average at best. The quiz for networking may be the worst I have ever seen.

I was expecting them to ask me if you could be an animal what would you be?

By Kristin C

Aug 20, 2018

The reading materials and lectures were straight-forward and easy to understand, but the assignments were very difficult and caused me to dislike