Back to Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course) by Michigan State University

4.4

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will design a series bible and write a complete pilot episode for your own unique television or web series, be it drama or comedy or something in between. You’ll learn to break down the creative process into components, and you’ll discover a structured process that allows you to produce a polished and pitch-ready script in just a few weeks. Completing this project will increase your confidence in your ideas and abilities, and you’ll feel prepared to pitch your first script and get started on your next. This is a course designed to tap into your creativity and is based in "Active Learning". Most of the actual learning takes place within your own activities - that is, writing! You will learn by doing. "Thank you so much for your direct way of teaching this course. It was encouraging for us all to creatively flow and find our own voice in writing and developing our scripts. This aspect was very important to me." Ingrid The course curriculum is simple: you’ll write, revise your work, and share feedback with your peers. I am a proponent of Experiential Learning (active learning). My lectures are short (sometimes just two minutes long) and to the point, designed in a step-by-step process essential to your success as a script writer. I will guide you but I won’t "show" you how to write. I firmly believe that the only way to become a writer is to write, write, write. “David's lecture style for this course is inspired. The videos are succinct and engaging. When I watch the lectures I feel David’s sincere desire for me to create something truly amazing. He is teaching us how to write a script, and he is providing wisdom and tools that will help us do so in a compelling way - by writing; not by watching him talk at us.” - A R Adamson What you’ll need to get started: To begin with, any basic word processor will do. During week two, you can choose to download some free scriptwriting software such as Celtx or Trelby or you may choose to purchase Final Draft, or you can continue to use your word processor and do your own script formatting. Learner Review: "I am in love with this course. Having never written a script before, or any substantive fiction since college (15 years ago) I had a small idea in my head that has now exploded into something I really believe in. David's guidance is spot on, he's his own compelling story teller, he gives you enough, and then you have to figure it out, make it happen, WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! " *About Project-Centered Courses: This is a ‘project-centered course’, which means it is designed specifically to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share. Time: 1-2 hours of study, 30+ hours of active project work...

AA

Jun 14, 2016

David Wheeler is awesome, and I love this course! I am so glad that Coursera and Michigan State University have partnered to offer this course to those of us who have a thirst for learning! Thank you!

MT

Jan 11, 2017

Amazing course. Without useless talking, we are immediately thrown into action, and start working immediately. This course helped me gain priceless empiric experience, and finally start writing.

51 - 75 of 156 Reviews for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

By Rennes L T

Jul 26, 2017

A really tough module but definitely fruitful in getting you started in writing!

By David L

Apr 06, 2018

This course is challenging and has pushed me to develop my ideas and writing.

By Наталія П

Jan 08, 2017

I was surprised that we don't suppose to learn about writing scripts. Because the best way to learn is to write the script. It wasn't easy for me as not a native speaker. But I finished it! I recommend this course! Jan is the best mentor! Thank you very much!

By Lisa E

Jun 13, 2016

Wonderful class to get that idea out of your head and on paper...finally!!!

By Sasha J D E

Feb 05, 2018

This course is really fun. It really gets my creative juices going as a writer.

By Sebastian P

Jun 29, 2017

Very activity driven. Attentive and active staff.

By arya k s

Apr 01, 2018

It's a very good course. If you want to write . Complete script this course will help you do it. It is very crisp and to the point. I would love to recommend this course to anyone interested in learning script writing.

By Teresa E

May 05, 2018

This course is very fast paced and challenging but I really loved it. It doesn't leave enough time for self doubt and really forces you to actually do some writing. I would recommend this course for first time writers but also for more experienced writers who need a deadline and a structure to get them to write and to finish something. Love the course!

By Sara A F

Jul 25, 2016

I loved this course, it was eye opening for me. I've always loved writing but I've never studied it. taking this course helped me explore my writing more.

I totally recommend it to anyone!

By SHIVA K P V V

Sep 30, 2016

Quite exciting from the first video lesson itself. Great motivation and guidance.

By Liam G

Aug 06, 2016

Straight to the point. The way any writing course should be. Brilliant.

By Vishal S

Jun 24, 2016

Fantastic course!

Jun 20, 2017

No plans to be a script writer but now have an appreciation of those so engaged. A very demanding profession with creativity on a deadline. Not for me, but respect for those so engaged. Additionally, able to watch and appreciate the structure of content ... definitely enhanced viewing and reading .. forsooth.

By L. A S

Aug 06, 2016

Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series is a very challenging course. However, if you goal is to write a TV Pilot, this is

By Faiz S

Aug 17, 2016

Very methodical, but still makes writing fun... and exciting.

By Matthew L

Apr 30, 2018

This is just what I needed to get moving! Very clear and helpful deadlines.

By Erica E

May 12, 2016

This is a fun and challenging course.

By Maysoon M

Jul 10, 2017

it's simple, it tells you exactly what you need to do, it's the bare truth with no magic wands.

By Terrence M

Jul 04, 2017

Really enjoyed this course. I learned a lot, and it got me writing.

By Irene P

Dec 27, 2016

Through this course, I transformed a scene I wrote for a full length movie into a pilot for TV. I'm happy I learned the process and I'm working on the series episodes to follow. Thank You for developing this course. The lessons were explained well and the videos were very helpful. I'm especially glad this course was presented through Michigan State University. That was a deciding factor in signing up for it. Go Spartans!

By Shaunda

Apr 01, 2018

I Loved this course. By the end I had a complete TV script, Bible and was working on a Webseries.

By Daniella H

Mar 13, 2016

I'm actually writing my first TV series pilot. This is the furthest I've ever gotten. I love this course. Thanks to David Wheeler, everyone at Michigan State University and Coursera for making this accessible to so many. Sending tons of gratitude from Daniella Horsford.

By Andrea C

Apr 06, 2016

It was wonderful to get writing again and to get all the wonderful feedback from my classmates.

By Jeanne H F

Sep 28, 2016

Fantastic course, loved the way it walked you step by step through the process and the formatting. This course could have been ten weeks and still wouldn't be enough. Awesome hands on learning.

By Ameer Q

Jun 13, 2017

A big thank to David Wheeler, it's a lovely way to teach about the script writing. I'm very much happy that by taking that course I wrote my first TV Pilot, and its not only writing, I learned what made me stop to write. off-course I'm not perfect not but now I earned the craft to write and learn more. Thank you for this Course.